Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 12:21 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I went to Marquette many years ago and walked around the campus last month. I think the above boundaries are very good advice. Toward the end of my years at Marquette I lived by the lake because it was a cooler area, but it was a pain to get to campus. I actually used to hitchhike and Marquette profs often picked me up (do people hitchhike anymore?)

If you want to live in the cooler area-live by the lake (between downtown and UWM) and take a bus or drive. If you don't want to commute, live by Marquette - but the area is slightly seedier and much more boring.

Temple area is much seedier than Marquette area.
Thanks.

Do you know if there are places immediately around the campus, ie. walking distance, that provide covered parking (underground, garage, ect)? Seems like it is mostly just street parking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 02:55 PM

711 posts, read 1,689,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
Thanks.

Do you know if there are places immediately around the campus, ie. walking distance, that provide covered parking (underground, garage, ect)? Seems like it is mostly just street parking.
Marquette has a couple of parking garages around campus that you can lease spaces in. They have campus security in all of them and require a keycard for access. The rent them out by the semester (fall/spring/summer).

It's not dirt cheap, but it's an easy way to have a car in the area if your apartment doesn't provide it. My fiancee had this arrangement for 2 years and it worked out fine.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:12 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
I have heard MU is 50% people from ILL I don't know if this true but just what I have heard time and time again.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:27 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,802,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I have heard MU is 50% people from ILL I don't know if this true but just what I have heard time and time again.
No, it's not. And, we are talking about Law School, not Undergrad, and there's a difference.

Undergrad, over half of the University comes from out of state, and that includes all 50 states and Internationally. There are and will be larger numbers from the neighboring upper Midwest and lower Midwest states. This does include a lot of Chicago and state of IL kids, but not to your percentages, and this is undergrad. There is a strong Northeast and Mid-Atlantic presence as well. The West Coast and deep South parts of the country are less served, but still exist at MU in smaller numbers.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:27 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
State st. to the north, 20 thru 24th or so to the west, I94 to the south. The east no problem. Go all the way to the lake if you like. 90% of the population in this area are MU students.
How is Kilbourn near 21st?

Old 05-18-2009, 10:04 AM

603 posts, read 2,358,804 times
Quote:
It's been a long time since I've been at MU but I would stay away from that area. I can't imagine it's gotten safer since i was there in the late 80's. There might be some campus run apartments in that area that are well-maintained but you still have to get in and out of your car, etc.

If you are attending law school and want to stay on campus, I would try to find places east of 18th street and no farther north than Kilborn. Look for places with locked lobbies and that tend to draw more graduate students.

Again this advise could be outdated, but you could check out the Ardmore and Catholic Knights insurance building. Both buildings have apartments.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:06 PM

711 posts, read 1,689,234 times
Quote:
I had friends that lived near 21st and Wells and it was ok. It's about 50/50 students but not much immediately close that you would go to. Considering the law school is on 11th and Wisconsin, you'll probably want to look further east or closer to Wisconsin Ave. If you're on Wisconsin Ave, you can catch one of 4-5 bus routes that will take you directly to the law building, a bus pass is cheap through the school. Otherwise look between 12th and 16th for something closer.

Other apartments you might want to consider within a couple blocks of the law school are Library Hill or St. James Place. I've known people that have lived in both, it was a little pricy, but they liked it.

Last edited by Jesse276; 05-18-2009 at 03:14 PM..

Old 05-18-2009, 03:18 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,802,409 times
Quote:
It's fine for me but that's up to you, not me, and for some it may not be. It's getting near the end of where Marquette students live NW of the off campus area but it's still considered a Marquette student area. The previous mentioned boundaries have been acceptable boundaries for most students. There is a police sub station very close to there at 22 and Wells. There is a strong police presence as well as the University Public Safety system around the area.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:39 PM

93 posts, read 305,656 times
Try the Catholic Knights building. I lived on the top floor (18th) for 2 years and loved it. Plus, there is a pool on the roof, underground parking, and an exercise room. Safe area and close to a lot. the only problem I had was the pool overflowing in large rainstorms and leaking into my apartment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee