Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 10:19 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,781,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
At some point somebody has to set the record straight on the definition of open minded. Open minded is to have the mind set that an individual is willing to listen and evaluate a variety of opinions and make a decision with a clear unbiased prejudice. Madison doesn't fit this description. Pine Bluff Ark. is about as open minded as Madison. Almost any city in the Midwest is more open minded then Madison. Milwaukee, Chicago, Green Bay just about any of them. Madison is about as closed minded as they come. It all comes down to associating with like minded people which you feel comfortable. People confuse this with having an open mind.
You can't make such a blanket statement with much accuracy of any of the places you mentioned. Should I throw in the stereotype that Whitefish Bay is close minded the same way you say Madison is close minded, but only in the stereotypical opposite direction? If you spend time in places with real people, sometimes experience is different.

And, I don't think one has to only associate themselves with like minded people. In fact, I believe that is a big problem today in America.

I've been around long enough to know that balance wins in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 10:22 AM

Tacoma Randy,

You've already been given a lot of good information. The East Side near UWM as well as elsewhere on the East Side are solid choices for you to answer your question. Near Brady Street, the Third Ward, Riverwest, East Town, 5th Ward, Bayview, all are other valuable choices that would fit your interests and needs.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:12 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,991,455 times
Fishtacos - I have no problem making a blanket statement, people do it all the time to make a point. I didn't say everyone in Madison thought the same way or their beliefs were wrong. In city like Madison or Berkley and a few others there is a prevailing mind set which is seldom challenged within the community. You will find this in these type of communities more so then say Whitefish Bay. This is no big secret. So I'll say it again. Madison is more closed minded than most communities. There is less diversity of thought and opinion.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:50 PM

35 posts, read 161,083 times
I appreciate all of your thoughts and opinions!

I would like to caution what seems to be like an argument starting. I am very familiar with places like Madison, Berkeley, Boulder, etc... I see what both of you are saying. I lived in Olympia, WA (the capital of Wash States) and it is very similar. I left it after three months. I believe politically Tacoma and Milwaukee are nearly identical (blue collar roots, strongly democratic, but political ideologies are very diverse). The difference, from what I gather, is that Milwaukee is much bigger, and has more of a college influence. In any case, I don't desire to live in a place like Madison. It's nice to visit, but quite frankly, the people in those types of environments get under my skin quite easily. In any case, I'm almost convinced Milwaukee is my kind of town. I only bring up the "gay issue" because I really don't wish to be the target of anyone's scorn, anger, violence, intolerance, etc. In Tacoma, there isn't much of a gay community because we are only 35 mins away from Seattle. At point, we had a PrideFest type thing, but was disbanded because everyone would attend Seattle's event instead. So, in that regard, Milwaukee seems to fit the bill pretty well! Again, thanks for all your help! I look forward to visiting oon and making my decision soon after!

Old 05-19-2009, 06:42 PM

395 posts, read 1,854,085 times
I've only been to Seattle once, but from what I've heard about the area, I think you'll find that Milwaukee is akin to Tacoma in terms of its blue collar heart, but with a little bit of the "big city" buzz of Seattle thrown in to make it interesting. Milwaukee is very similar in size to Portland.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy@Tacoma View Post
I appreciate all of your thoughts and opinions!

I would like to caution what seems to be like an argument starting. I am very familiar with places like Madison, Berkeley, Boulder, etc... I see what both of you are saying. I lived in Olympia, WA (the capital of Wash States) and it is very similar. I left it after three months. I believe politically Tacoma and Milwaukee are nearly identical (blue collar roots, strongly democratic, but political ideologies are very diverse). The difference, from what I gather, is that Milwaukee is much bigger, and has more of a college influence. In any case, I don't desire to live in a place like Madison. It's nice to visit, but quite frankly, the people in those types of environments get under my skin quite easily. In any case, I'm almost convinced Milwaukee is my kind of town. I only bring up the "gay issue" because I really don't wish to be the target of anyone's scorn, anger, violence, intolerance, etc. In Tacoma, there isn't much of a gay community because we are only 35 mins away from Seattle. At point, we had a PrideFest type thing, but was disbanded because everyone would attend Seattle's event instead. So, in that regard, Milwaukee seems to fit the bill pretty well! Again, thanks for all your help! I look forward to visiting oon and making my decision soon after!

You are on the right track so far in terms of your perceptions. Although, if you understand what I am about to say, it may be of some help to you. Milwaukee is more of a pro sports town than a college sports town, but it's both. I use sports to describe it because it can be helpful to understand that it isn't necessarily a college town feel in the way large state schools in small geographies are college towns. But there are some components of that mixed in....Milwaukee's metro population is between 1.7-1.8 million.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:18 PM

35 posts, read 161,083 times
So, if you don't like sports period, is that a problem? I mean, that's definitely one thing I like about Seattle. No one seemingly gives a damn about sports.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:48 PM

See, I thought you may misinterpret it. I used the example to explain the feel of the places. Just ignore it then. No, you do not have to like sports to fit into Milwaukee. Milwaukee would be similar to Seattle in that regard. It's there for the taking for some people, and it's quite alright if that's not your thing either.

What I was trying to say is that Milwaukee doesn't feel like a college town the way places like Madison feel like a college town. It does have that component to it, but it's more of a bigger combination of other things.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:59 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,285,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
See, I thought you may misinterpret it. I used the example to explain the feel of the places. Just ignore it then. No, you do not have to like sports to fit into Milwaukee.
And this is particularly true at UWM....

Old 05-22-2009, 11:52 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,515,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy@Tacoma View Post
So, if you don't like sports period, is that a problem? I mean, that's definitely one thing I like about Seattle. No one seemingly gives a damn about sports.
I'll warn you about on thing: people here are VERY into the Packers. As in, if you could give two hoots about that team, you're considered strange. I should know, I could care less about football & especially the Packers. My co-workers think I'm some oddball because of it. I prefer soccer, which of course most people around here think is a "girly" sport. Whatever, but no, if you aren't into sports, don't worry about it just don't hang out in the sports bars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee