Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 04:15 PM

104 posts, read 416,254 times

Advertisements

My daughter wanted to wait til she was 21 to get her driver license and now the time has come. We were wondering what to expect for a road test at the DMV and what to expect from the exam, so we can practice.

Anyone had any experience lately for getting a driver license as an adult?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 04:24 PM

19 posts, read 95,153 times
Well, I took mine in Madison when I was 16 (9 years ago) and the only "hard" things they had me do were parallel parking and a Y turn. The rest was just go, stop, turn etc...

Funny thing is, in Madison by the Hilldale DMV there is a Stop sign that says "No Stop on Right Turn" and they ALWAYS take you by that sign. Everyone in Driver's Ed was told this so when the time came, I knew that was coming up. Supposedly if you stop at the sign, you've done an illegal thing and automatically fail.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:00 PM

Thanks! Para Parking not her strong point so we will have to practice that! She will probably take hers in Milwaukee, but i can't imagine it would be much different.....
Anyone else have any pointers?

Old 04-07-2009, 10:43 AM

158 posts, read 660,312 times
Not tryin to be a smart ass, but I don't see what really would have changed since myself (I'm 27) or you took your test...I know the laws regarding new liscences have changed, but I don't think the actual test has.

Plus she should be much more confident than a 16 year old would be...

It'll be a piece of cake

Old 04-07-2009, 01:28 PM

115 posts, read 795,712 times
The road test is the same regardless of the age of the person taking the test. In my younger days I worked at a driving school (not as an instructor though!) and these were the main points:

1. No freeway driving during the test.

2. Bumping the curb is a point deduction but going up onto the curb is an automatic fail. Parts of the test where this is a risk is the parallel park, Y turn, and backing up. For backing up, they mostly look to see if you can keep it straight.

3. Yes she will need to know how to parallel park.

4. Watch the rolling stops, signals, and drifting into another lane (even slightly!)

If you know which DMV station you will be taking the test at then take a drive on the side streets and neighborhoods around the testing station. They never venture very far from the station. The road test is actually very easy. Most of the people who failed the test did so due to dumb mistakes because of nerves rather than lack of driving ability.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:39 PM

THANKS!!! I am going to be 40 this year and can hardly remember my test! We will practice the parallel parking for sure and drive around the neighborhood, that is a great idea!

Old 04-07-2009, 06:35 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,562,391 times
I'll agree w/Adam76 on one point. WATCH the rolling stops! I took my test at 16, 21 years ago (yikes!) & while I passed it, the one thing the instructor mentioned was that I did a rolling stop at a stop sign. To this day, I think he's full of crap because I distinctly remember doing a full stop & then edging forward so I could see oncoming traffic better, but he's the boss!

Old 04-07-2009, 07:43 PM

19 posts, read 95,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I'll agree w/Adam76 on one point. WATCH the rolling stops! I took my test at 16, 21 years ago (yikes!) & while I passed it, the one thing the instructor mentioned was that I did a rolling stop at a stop sign. To this day, I think he's full of crap because I distinctly remember doing a full stop & then edging forward so I could see oncoming traffic better, but he's the boss!
ohh and along those notes...Never talk back to the instructor. A buddy of mine said "no I didn't" to the instructor and promptly failed.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:16 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,562,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DmagnessDO View Post
ohh and along those notes...Never talk back to the instructor. A buddy of mine said "no I didn't" to the instructor and promptly failed.
Haha, I'm not surprised. I didn't talk back to my instructor because A. I didn't know until the end of the test about the rolling stop & B. my mom was there when we came back & he gave me the critique!

Old 04-10-2009, 10:55 PM

50 posts, read 169,097 times
Go to the West Bend testing facility they are better than the Milwaukee ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee