Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 08:51 PM

24 posts, read 50,891 times

Advertisements

ok... I've been in waukesha county for about 3 months. This is what I think; maybe you can help clear some issues:

Gorceries: pick n' save must be the worst chain store I ever shopped at:
- Prices are too high
- produce quality and freshness is low (I am not looking for organic scams or local farm or anything like that... just good, fresh produce!)
- they don't help you bag your items!
-liquor selection is poor; they just got the basics. If you want Johnnie walker gold, Patron tequila, or some good wine to take to a party, I have no idea where to get it from.

-Road pavement condition is terrible! I understand it has a lot to do with the cold, but I just never see anyone working on the road! cracks, holes, uneven lanes are all over the place. For a state that is charging state income tax, you would expect a better maintenance.

- Auto service: labor charge is $100/hr flat! you gotta be kidding me! I had never seen anything higher than $75. and wisconsin prevailing wages are not high or anything.

- Demographics: too many senior citizens! have the young people moved somewhere else?!

I hope I actually find some good points too, since I'm gonna be stuck here for some time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 09:13 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,317,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot82 View Post
ok... I've been in waukesha county for about 3 months. This is what I think; maybe you can help clear some issues:

- Prices are too high
- produce quality and freshness is low (I am not looking for organic scams or local farm or anything like that... just good, fresh produce!)
- they don't help you bag your items!
-liquor selection is poor; they just got the basics. If you want Johnnie walker gold, Patron tequila, or some good wine to take to a party, I have no idea where to get it from.
Where in Waukesha County are you? Sendiks tends to have good produce, as does Grasch. I've never been to Fresh Market on Blue Mound, but you might give them a try. I live in Ozaukee County and get most of my groceries at Sendiks.

I'm not too familiar with the liquor scene in Waukesha County, but there are some shops in that area with decent selections for the store size: Ray's in Wauwatosa and Sendiks may have what you're looking for. In Ozaukee County, Grapes and Grain is a great store with a really good wine selection. Otto's is a good liquor chain here that has various stores in the metro, including three close to where I live. There are some good wine stores in Milwaukee such as Thief Wine and Vino 100. Discount Liquor on the southside (Oklahoma Ave.) has a very good selection of wines, beer, and spirits; it may be worth visiting. But there is no wine/liquor superstore/megastore in the metro, as there is in Chicago (Sam's Wine and Spirits) and larger metros. You have to work a little more here to figure out where the best places for you are.

Quote:
-Road pavement condition is terrible! I understand it has a lot to do with the cold, but I just never see anyone working on the road! cracks, holes, uneven lanes are all over the place. For a state that is charging state income tax, you would expect a better maintenance.
Road redos tend not to last too long in these parts, and now with the budget crises among us, don't expect a whole lot in the near future. However, if there are any particularly bad potholes, contact the county government or the city where the pothole is located. Many communities do temporary repairs.

Quote:
- Auto service: labor charge is $100/hr flat! you gotta be kidding me! I had never seen anything higher than $75. and wisconsin prevailing wages are not high or anything.
I don't think my dealer's shop (Amato Hyundai) charges that much, but not sure. You may have to ask around and network a bit more to find quality mechanics who charge less.

Quote:
- Demographics: too many senior citizens! have the young people moved somewhere else?!
Yes, they live in the City of Milwaukee and the inner-ring suburbs.

Quote:
I hope I actually find some good points too, since I'm gonna be stuck here for some time!
You haven't found good points yet? Maybe you need to chill a bit, explore the entire metro area (including the city of Mke), transcend culture shock, and try making some friends. If you explore more, you'll find all sorts of interesting grocery stores and markets and other shops and services and people. It sounds like you may want the area to adapt to your terms, but perhaps you could make more of an effort to adapt to the new culture that surrounds you?

Last edited by Empidonax; 05-24-2009 at 09:23 PM..

Old 05-24-2009, 09:33 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,317,108 times
Just a follow-up--There's a Discount Liquor in Waukesha (919 Barstow St.), though the store in Milwaukee proper is the flagship and has a bigger selection. But still, give it a whirl.

Discount Liquor Inc. Milwaukee & Waukesha Wisconsin | The largest selection of import and domestic beer and wine in Wisconsin

Old 05-24-2009, 09:57 PM

204 posts, read 752,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot82 View Post

- Prices are too high
This is spot on. PNS is bottom-of-the-barrel awful on price, quality, and service. That fact cannot be emphasized enough. It's embarrassing. And their idiotic 'Chairman Bob' ad campaign needs to go away lest the backlash get any worse. Not only is it terrible, it's completely out of touch with reality almost to the point of offensiveness.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:08 AM

8,290 posts, read 23,120,137 times
Keep in mind you are in Waukesha, if you want young and vibrant try the east side of Milwaukee or third ward

Old 05-25-2009, 12:11 AM

1,310 posts, read 4,140,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
This is spot on. PNS is bottom-of-the-barrel awful on price, quality, and service. That fact cannot be emphasized enough. It's embarrassing. And their idiotic 'Chairman Bob' ad campaign needs to go away lest the backlash get any worse. Not only is it terrible, it's completely out of touch with reality almost to the point of offensiveness.
I've heard a lot of people on this forum say this. So what is a good grocery store for somebody like me? ... a broke starving student who is living off of loans.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:19 PM

204 posts, read 752,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
I've heard a lot of people on this forum say this. So what is a good grocery store for somebody like me? ... a broke starving student who is living off of loans.
Head on down to Woodman's in Oak Creek. Their produce is somewhat hit-or-miss, but the prices throughout the store are very reasonable. Just pay attention to the sell-by dates (it's a warehouse store, so you could get unintentionally burned by some stale product) and you shouldn't have an issue.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:49 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,571,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
Go to Trader Joe's in Bayshore Mall, on Silver Spring & Port Washington Rd. Granted, they don't have the best selection of stuff, but you'll find cheaper things than other grocery stores. Do NOT go to Sendiks or Metro Market if you're on a budget.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:53 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,717,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
Head on down to Woodman's in Oak Creek.
I couldn't agree with this advice any more.

I go to Woodman's weekly for my family's weekly grocery shopping and couldn't endorse it more.

They have the WIDEST, biggest selection of groceries in the metro (folks that go their initially actually get frustrated at the sheer girth, size of the place - it is mammoth), and they have just about 11-varieties of every type of product.

Their prices are Super Wal-Mart-esque cheap (in many cases actually cheaper), but the variety and selection are much bigger / diverse even, and it is regionally local - so even though I am not as "anti Wal-Mart" (or Super WM) as the political "flavors of the day" tend to be - it is an additional perk to support folks from the area.

The produce I find to be just fine if not great. The quality and freshness - while maybe not Sendik's great - is 1/2 the price and just fine. Seriously, since January, they've had avacados anywhere from 59 cents to 79 cents (very good ones), which, for this region, is a huge freaking discount / deal.

Maybe the only downside of Woodmans is that they only take DEBIT / ATM or cash / check, etc. No credit cards there. Helps 'em keep the prices so darn low.

However, to me, that is a small price to pay. Seriously, a crud-load of shopping cart items on an average weekend - at Pick N' Save, it would be $125, at Woodmans, same items and selection, $85. No kidding. Its that big a difference.

(I should note that Woodman's is quite out of the way for many in the metro in far Oak Creek, however, groundbreaking is slated to commence soon on their 2nd location - Menomonee Falls

Old 05-26-2009, 06:25 AM

1,310 posts, read 4,140,352 times
Awesome guys, thanks for the tips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee