Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 11:07 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times

Advertisements

How about start having a business climate that attracts headquarters instead of kicking them out the door. There is a reason why Houston has the 2nd most fortune 500 companies and Texas has the best business climate for the last 25 years in a row. Let's mimic what Texas does. Lower business taxes and fees. How about going out and recruiting business and trying to lure them into the Milwaukee 7. How about start opening up zoning restrictions and other land for development. Start tearing down old buildings and selling the land and start getting on landlords that have poor looking properties.

http://www.choosemilwaukee.com/

Houston:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 10:20 AM

711 posts, read 1,688,638 times
I would say a huge part of the problem is that the Milwaukee metropolitan area is so divided with little hope for quick reconciliation. The Milwaukee metro needs to be pushing itself forward in a regional way, not just the city of Milwaukee or Delafield or Racine Co. or Germantown alone.

This will not happen until the perception of the city of Milwaukee governance changes, I say perception because it has improved drastically over the years. However, the county is a completely useless layer of administrative government, they don't actually do anything but try to justify their existance.

If Milwaukee county can be dissolved with the remaining functions spun-off to regional or local responsibility, we have a chance to pull together as metro and drive growth. I could go on but...

Old 06-09-2009, 02:32 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,022,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
How about start having a business climate that attracts headquarters instead of kicking them out the door. There is a reason why Houston has the 2nd most fortune 500 companies and Texas has the best business climate for the last 25 years in a row. Let's mimic what Texas does. Lower business taxes and fees. How about going out and recruiting business and trying to lure them into the Milwaukee 7. How about start opening up zoning restrictions and other land for development. Start tearing down old buildings and selling the land and start getting on landlords that have poor looking properties.

Choosemilwaukee.com - Milwaukee 7 - Wisconsin

Houston:
Don't be too hasty with the redoing of zoning laws, that could cause haphazard growth in city area, Houston isn't exactly organized like older cities are. Hell some would say it isn't well organized at all thanks to it's lax zoning laws.

Taxes though I can see where you're coming at, Philly has the same problem.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:00 PM

We need politician's all on the same page, instead of looking out for themselves they should start looking out for progress for the city.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:27 PM

80 posts, read 548,262 times
@Milwaukee City

Tearing down older buildings is a not a good way to build a city. What you get is parking lots, not new development. You can see evidence of "urban renewal" in Milwaukee (and many cities) in large parking lots that still exist today. Charlotte, NC has managed to almost complete erase any of its history... very sad.

Further 2/3 of corporations operation in Wisconsin pay ZERO income taxes (there's a report on the web that can be looked up). The one issue is property taxes, or more specifically finding a better balance i.e. maybe a city sales tax with associate property tax cut. OR and I'm still researching this but a land value tax instead of property tax. In theory this would encourage development, and discourage surface parking lots.

As far as Houston having the #2 Fortune 500 companies I think you'd be surprised but if you look at the number's of Fortune 500 companies per capita Milwaukee does very well (we have 6-8 in the metro). Further, I'd wager many of Houston's companies are connected to energy. And Houston is 454 square miles... Can we add in Kenosha, Racine, Waukesha and compares some numbers.. Walk around downtown Houston, or Dallas ick... I'd take Milwaukee over it anyday

Now as far as zoning, the changes should include more upzoning (high density), more height, as small as possible setback requirements. Possibly things like density bonuses for a % of affordable and/or green units...

Just a couple thoughts..

Old 06-21-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Further 2/3 of corporations operation in Wisconsin pay ZERO income taxes (there's a report on the web that can be looked up).
I think we found the liberal in the group.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:27 PM

204 posts, read 752,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I think we found the liberal in the group.
Twoaday writes about a thousand well-thought out words and that's all you choose to respond with? Come on...

Old 06-22-2009, 10:14 AM

@Milwaukee City No I'm an Urbansit (often left, sometimes right). Again 2/3 of corporations in Wisconsin pay $0 in income taxes [report]. Seems to me I pay more than $0 every year... Sounds terrible. And as Ron said no comment on all the rest?

Old 06-22-2009, 11:52 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
I think one way Milwaukee could grow is if it tapped into the talent existing in Milwaukee. Keeping people in Milwaukee is a part of the process.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:52 PM

@pirate_lafitte Good point. I believe UWM should be encouraged to increase enrollment and grow in size. CEO for Cities (a couple years back) had a report that indicated that 60% of students wants to live in an environment similar to they went to school i.e. (urban, rural, suburban) and a simliar number wants to stay in the same region. So you can increase your talent pool by increasing talent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee