Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 08:27 PM

5 posts, read 4,047 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I've been living in Milwaukee since last July. I moved from out of state. I'm in my mid/late 20s and live in Riverwest. I really enjoy my neighborhood. The only problem I have is that I'm struggling to make friends. I have made two so far, and they are a couple. I will list a few things I enjoy doing and maybe I'll get lucky and someone will know of a social club that could help me out.

I am an artist and enjoy collaborating with people. I currently am doing embroidery, but have a background in print making, sculpture, foundry, painting, drawing, and on and on. I also am a musician. I used to play drums in a band but haven't played since I moved up here. I am comfortable with a number of other instruments, as well. I enjoy more experimental over traditional types of music when it comes to performing.

I also like playing board games and role-playing games. I've been trying (with little luck) to get a tabletop RPG group together.

I'm not huge into bars due to anxiety, but can handle them sometimes.

I'm interested in meeting people within walking distance of Riverwest. If anyone knows of anything, great! If not, thanks anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 11:37 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,567,335 times
I live in Riverwest too. There are a ton of places to go & meet people. I was going to suggest Linnemanns since you're interested in music but then you mentioned anxiety about bars. For your age group, that's a good place to start. In Kadish Park on Tuesdays during the summer there are bands that place in the bandshell. Lots of people come to that, many opportunities to meet others. That doesn't start until I think July though. Try going on Meetup.com, it's a site where you can find local groups of people that are interested in certain subjects. You're a short walk to Brady St, you'll find a lot of artists & musicians on Brady. Actually, Riverwest is filled with artists & musicians. Just go grab some coffee at Fuel on Center & start talking to someone. Guaranteed you'll meet an artist or musician at that coffee shop. Hope that helps.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:57 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,534,096 times
Go to Public House, Quarters, Linnemans, etc., when there's a show. Talk to people.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:46 PM

5 posts, read 4,047 times
I was hoping more for someone to point me in the direction of group activities. It is difficult for me to assert myself into a social situation without knowing there is some overall understanding that there will people coming together for the sake of socializing with one another. Maybe there's something like a drink and draw? Plein air painting/arting?

I can bring myself out to places with live music. It's the "Hey group of people I don't know. Care if I jump in on your conversation?" part that I struggle with.

I've had a little luck with meetup.com but not found any groups that I felt a good connection with. Maybe something new will come up. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:44 AM

I am unsure if they still do it, but Public House had popular trivia nights that seemed to be pretty inclusive. I no longer practice up in Riverwest so I'm rarely there anymore. And I've known so many people there for so many years that I've never thought of any ways of breaking into it....

Old 05-30-2015, 04:11 PM

11 posts, read 26,813 times
Mad Planet is my favorite Riverwest spot! Everyone is super friendly, kind of like cheers except the crowd is much more different. Funny people mention Fuel.. I have lived here a year now and only been there twice (we are practically neighbors). I usually see some hotties sitting outside there. Probably should get a cute dog and say hi haha.

What kind of other interests do you have? Also what kind of music do you like? I'm not big into board games etc. but allot of my friends from back home were and we still had a great time grilling out, drinking etc.! I'm always open to meeting new people.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:11 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,894,423 times
You can try to find some outings of Sierra Club near your area (but not necessarily). During an outing, I bet you'd strike more than 1 conversation. Do it more than once, and you'll find plenty of people to talk to in your area. The only problem is that Sierra club isn't that active in Milwaukee.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:13 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,894,423 times
And here's a piece of advice from my old friend - when you came into new neighborhood, your best and quickest bet to get into the community, is to join the local church and start going there for Sunday services. You'll know everybody in no time.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:28 AM

253 posts, read 394,510 times
I know you stated you wanted to get to know people within walking distance of Riverwest, but you could also try venturing outside of the community.

I know there is a fairly large and consistent group of people who play games at the Board Game Barrister at Bayshore Mall. I go to the store at least twice per month, and they are very friendly people.

Also: Riverwest Artists Association RAA - Home and the Jazz Gallery

I am not sure if I can mention Yelp, but a lot of us younger Milwaukeeans are on that site. If you pop up and introduce yourself, that would be cool. A lot of fun outings (bar and non-bar) are posted and planned there.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
And here's a piece of advice from my old friend - when you came into new neighborhood, your best and quickest bet to get into the community, is to join the local church and start going there for Sunday services. You'll know everybody in no time.
You've clearly never been to Riverwest, or do not have a feel for the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
View detailed profiles of: