Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2009, 11:29 AM

3 posts, read 7,783 times

Advertisements

We are building and we have a walkout basement. We are going to finish the basement and use as guest room and study room, but not sure if air-conditioner is necessary for basement. The house is in Menomonee Falls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 09:51 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat001 View Post
We are building and we have a walkout basement. We are going to finish the basement and use as guest room and study room, but not sure if air-conditioner is necessary for basement. The house is in Menomonee Falls.
I would air condition the basement space. If you are using the room or rooms in the basement frequently, you should keep the space air conditioned. The problem with basements that aren't climate controlled, is humidity, which promotes mildew and can attract insects. Even though it might be cool, basements can be clammy, which is not comfortable.

You could use dehumidifiers, but those have the negative effect of heating the air that they are dehumidifying, which is undesirable in summer, although it's OK in the winter. So A/C is definitely the preferable choice.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:10 PM

3 posts, read 7,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
I would air condition the basement space. If you are using the room or rooms in the basement frequently, you should keep the space air conditioned. The problem with basements that aren't climate controlled, is humidity, which promotes mildew and can attract insects. Even though it might be cool, basements can be clammy, which is not comfortable.

You could use dehumidifiers, but those have the negative effect of heating the air that they are dehumidifying, which is undesirable in summer, although it's OK in the winter. So A/C is definitely the preferable choice.
Thanks a lot!

Old 08-19-2009, 06:03 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
I would agree, if you're going to A/C the upstairs, you should pipe a little to the basement as well.

We've always had AC in the basement, and just closed off most of the vents because it was already cooler down there. As the previous person said, the big plus of having AC downstairs is HUMIDITY.

If you have half your basement exposed as well, it's just going to warm up down there and heat the house from below. Then you'll have a fight on 5 sides of a house as far as cooling.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:14 PM

158 posts, read 485,758 times
I'm not sure I agree because I have a three story, and the AC has a really tough time getting all the way up to cool the bedrooms, and even though I close the vents in the walkout basement bedroom it is always really cold there. So I think you have to take into consideration the rest of the house as well. Also, even though we have the AC going to the walkout level, we absolutely need the dehumidifier. THere is never any issue of the basement rooms getting too warm as they are cooled by the hill they are built into.
So, if you go for the ac in the basement rooms, make sure you have a real ability to turn it off in those rooms, or make sure you have a pretty powerful unit to get it up two floors!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
View detailed profiles of: