Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 02:00 PM

5 posts, read 10,836 times

Advertisements

New to the forum. I just got a job in Grafton so I am looking to move to the area. What are the certain areas to avoid and the areas to prefer when looking for an apartment? Have yet to find alot in Grafton or Cederburg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 02:13 PM

8,295 posts, read 23,142,857 times
It all depends on what you're looking for.

East Side of Milwaukee: Hip; bars, clubs, boutiques and restaurants and nice architecture. Can be very pricey, yuppies and college students. This goes for Bay View, Walker's Point, Third Ward, downtown.

All suburbs are really nice in the Milwaukee area, Brookfield is a big commercial hub and has a lot of options. The North Shore suburbs are upscale and "old money". Waukesha County is aka Lake country with a lot of options and also upscale.

What do you what in an area?

Old 09-09-2009, 02:21 PM

5 posts, read 10,836 times
Never been much of the "city type" but I am looking for something close to Grafton so probably on the north side of Milwaukee. Right now I am having a hard time finding a 2 bed apartment with a garage

Old 09-09-2009, 02:32 PM

Apartments For Rent - Nationwide Apartment Rental Search - ForRent.com - my suggestion and craigslist. I would look in Meqoun, Cedarburg, Germantown, Bayside, Fox Point, Whitefish Bay, Shorewood, Glendale, Menominee Falls. I would avoid the "near" north side of Milwaukee. The Far northwest side isn't bad, check out St.James Place apartment homes. But their should be enough choices in Mequon which is really nice along with any of the North Shore suburbs. I suggest rent for 6 months and see which area you like.

Ozaukee County, Wisconsin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-09-2009, 07:48 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,706,728 times
You should have no problem finding 2BR with a garage. I know for a fact that such places exist in the North Shore (Bayside, Fox Point). Nice mix of not-too-big of a city, but without giving up amenities.

Mequon is nice also. I second Milwaukee City's very accurate advice about areas to avoid.

Also, if you like smaller town type living, Cedarburg, Thiensville, and Port Washington have some options. I don't know about rentals, but they are nice towns and very little crime or concerns about that kind of thing.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:28 PM

16 posts, read 40,663 times
Don't live in the Milwaukee city proper. The property taxes are twice what you'd pay in a much nicer, safer, properly served, and prosperous suburb.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:58 PM

118 posts, read 437,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlNino View Post
Don't live in the Milwaukee city proper. The property taxes are twice what you'd pay in a much nicer, safer, properly served, and prosperous suburb.
The city has it's issues, but suburbs still don't even compare to the nice lifestyle I enjoy as a city resident.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Yup yet another suburban person hating on the city. Why don't you try saying this to the people on Lake Drive that their area is unsafe or the far south and southwest side or east side or the Far northwest side. Their are areas in Milwaukee City that are far more prosperus than the suburbs and are properly served however I can't argue when it comes to taxes but it does depend which suburb you live in b/c the taxes can be just as high or higher than the city.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:20 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,566,533 times
Quote:
or the county of MKE proper, they have a new $25 ''wheel tax'' because they weren't plowing the sidestreets during the winter and said they didn't have the money , hence the ''wheel tax''.

and they want to raise the sales tax by 1% as well. I would def. live outside the city and county.

I agree about the property taxes as well.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:24 PM

Default Naive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
they have a new $25 ''wheel tax'' because they weren't plowing the sidestreets during the winter and said they didn't have the money , hence the ''wheel tax''.
First thought...

The "wheel" tax is not b/c the city of Milwaukee was not plowing the side streets. The wheel tax is called a wheel tax b/c it is being imposed on vehicle registration taxes. Also the so called use of this tax is for street improvements such as pot holes and curbs and sidewalks. Another tid bit of info when it comes to Wisco politics, if anyone remembers the KRM line or the Milwaukee Circle line floated like a lead balloon by Mayor Barret? and the so called regional train line as well?I think we all do so how does this all relate?

If you notice this fee is being raised on or on top of vehicle registration which goes into the transportation fund. Now do you remember when Gov. Doyle took 300million of the transportation fund now you see where I'm am going with this.

Previously Willie Hines floated the idea of a wheel tax on rental cars in Milwaukee County to pay for the KRM line and then expanded the idea to all of Milwaukee County then just Milwaukee.

Point being, if you think the wheel tax is going to improve city streets get ready to have your pants pulled down right on Wisconsin.Ave.

Don't believe me, it's their words not mine:

Transit authority or no, commuter rail hearings roll on - JSOnline
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee