Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 09:44 PM

153 posts, read 526,473 times

Advertisements

I am interested in working as a teacher at Milwaukee Public Schools sometime in the future and had a few questions about Milwaukee in general.

1. What is the base salary for teaching in Milwaukee? I make just under $46,000 as a teacher here in Houston and was hoping to make the same out there.

2. How is the price of living comparable to Houston. Would lets say about $65,000 a year afford you a decent lifestyle in Milwaukee.

3. I really hate to ask this one but how are race relations within MIlwaukee's city limits. Any diverse areas out there that are nice for 2 tewnty somethings that we could afford (making 65k).

The reason for the questions is because I was looking into moving to Chicago sometime in the future but the price of living(even though not too bad) was still not on accord with Houston's price of living so Milwaukee seemed like the next best thing and I just luvv the Midwest area. Any response will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 12:54 AM

118 posts, read 437,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texx View Post
1. What is the base salary for teaching in Milwaukee? I make just under $46,000 as a teacher here in Houston and was hoping to make the same out there.
I wish I knew more about how MPS pays, but I don't. I do know that they are in financial trouble, though. The school board actually did a study on dissolving the district. They have closed 15 schools in the past few years.

Quote:
2. How is the price of living comparable to Houston. Would lets say about $65,000 a year afford you a decent lifestyle in Milwaukee.
Yes. $65,000 will enable you to have a very nice lifestyle here.

Quote:
3. I really hate to ask this one but how are race relations within MIlwaukee's city limits. Any diverse areas out there that are nice for 2 tewnty somethings that we could afford (making 65k).
Race-relations in Milwaukee are abysmal. Milwaukee is the most racially segregated city in America according to the U.S. Census Bureau. "Hypersegregation" is the term used in reports. There have been numerous problems with 'redlining', police brutality (although this has died down in recent years) and overall racial tensions.

Milwaukee has 2 neighborhoods that you could call diverse: the working class neighborhood of Harambee (between Holton and 7th/North to Keefe) and the middle class Sherman Park neighborhood (Sherman to 60th/Lloyd to Keefe).

Quote:
The reason for the questions is because I was looking into moving to Chicago sometime in the future but the price of living(even though not too bad) was still not on accord with Houston's price of living so Milwaukee seemed like the next best thing and I just luvv the Midwest area. Any response will be greatly appreciated.
I think you'll like it here.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:27 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC3700 View Post
Milwaukee is the most racially segregated city in America according to the U.S. Census Bureau. "Hypersegregation" is the term used in reports. There have been numerous problems with 'redlining', police brutality (although this has died down in recent years) and overall racial tensions.
I think the most recent metropolitan area list goes like this:

Gary
Detroit
Milwaukee
New York
Chicago

There are some interesting posts on this very topic in this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...ig-city-u.html

One thing I found interesting is that there were three sources cited in one post in the above thread, each with a different answer to this question. Each of the sources was legitimate (i.e. not a blog or op-ed column). However, the census figures showing Milwaukee at the top were older, if I remember correctly.

Most of the old industrial northern cities were high on the list. Newer cities with fast growth patterns scored much lower.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:51 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,003,794 times
IMO the city of Milwaukee is not hypersegregated, but outside of the city I agree. The Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel and UWM did a study a few years back and found that the neighborhoods in Milwaukee had an average amount of integration for a city of it's size. Also I believe the most diverse area of town is the near south side around 27th and National and 35th and Greenfield. The area is populated by Hispanics, Whites, Blacks and Hmong. This is easily the most diverse area of town. I don't think anything else comes close. Merrill Park neighborhood on the near west side is also very diverse and is similar to the near south side, but with a larger black population and smaller hispanic population. This general area (near south side/near west side) is very diverse and is overlooked by everyone on this forum. The diversity in this area is far above Sherman Park, Riverwest or Harambee. Maybe it's me, but I don't see much diversity in Harambee. It looks overwhelmingly black.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:08 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,109,500 times
Quote:
Also I believe the most diverse area of town is the near south side around 27th and National and 35th and Greenfield.
Spot on! Silver City is a melting pot. I also agree on the fact that Milwaukee is not segregated.

I have always argued, Why is segregation bad? we have little Italy's and little Poland's and little Havana's and little Russia's all over this country. What's wrong with Hispanics wanting to live by their own kind, compared to any other country we are by far the most diverse. I reall think we are splitting hairs in this country when it come to diversity. Ever notice that Milwaukee's black area the north side is still all black for the most part and that the Hispanics came into Milwaukee and decided to live on the south side and start their own community and the old Poles of the city just happened to migrate to the far south side and south suburbs. People live where they want to live and I see nothing wrong with blacks want to live next to other blacks and Jews wanting to be by other Jews. After all if people want to live somewhere else then they have the freedom to do so. I personally would love to live amongst other Poles like how it was when I was a kid where every one on my block was Polish. Not b/c I hate all other races or I look down on other races it's a commonality factor, we all have something in common.

The suburbs are segregated way more than the city and this is true for suburbs all across the nation
and if you look at every ethnic group in this country we live amongst our own kind. I spend most of all my time in Walker's Point and the city of Milwaukee and I tell you even where I live it might be the most mixed area, not from a residents stand point but from all the different types of people that work and play in Walker's Point.

We have 3 cab companies in Walker's Point which has drivers from all over the world, I see a lot of people from India by my house as well as blacks, whites, hippies, yuppies, Latinos and Russians and outlaws and in-laws...ughhhh in-laws!

To me Milwaukee is not segregated, not even close. The suburbs yes.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:12 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,003,794 times
Milwaukee City - Why is it that people (even on this forum) fail to recognize the diversity of the south side. It's a mystery to me. Parts on the near south side remind of areas of Queens N.Y. because of the ethnic and racial mix. The bigger mystery is why people carry on over the diversity in Riverwest, which in not even close to the diversity found on the near south side. The residents on the near south side have more of a common bond with each other. Regardless of their race or ethnic background many have the same economic and social background. Also, the children grew up around each other and are accustomed to different backgrounds. It appears, to me, that the races are at ease with one another more than other parts of town. I don't see this in Riverwest, if anything there appears to be tension between the groups and little cohesion. Riverwest diversity, to me, is more hype than anything. The south side is where you find real diversity. Also, I believe the area is overlooked due to its working class image. It's not as hip as other areas and people don't give it much thought.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Gary
Detroit
Milwaukee
New York
Chicago
If we are third, that is still a pretty bad thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
The Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel and UWM did a study a few years back and found that the neighborhoods in Milwaukee had an average amount of integration for a city of it's size.
What is average though? Because I have seen studies like this where they just compare us to cities that have the same problem, so as to minimize any bad publicity that the city will get. It seems like both UWM and the Journal do that a lot.

Quote:
Also I believe the most diverse area of town is the near south side around 27th and National and 35th and Greenfield. The area is populated by Hispanics, Whites, Blacks and Hmong. This is easily the most diverse area of town. I don't think anything else comes close.
I like that neighborhood, but it's not as diverse as you make it out to be. I heard it's overwhelmingly Hispanic with pockets of whites, blacks and Hmong.

Quote:
Merrill Park neighborhood on the near west side is also very diverse and is similar to the near south side, but with a larger black population and smaller hispanic population. This general area (near south side/near west side) is very diverse and is overlooked by everyone on this forum. The diversity in this area is far above Sherman Park, Riverwest or Harambee. Maybe it's me, but I don't see much diversity in Harambee. It looks overwhelmingly black.
I admit I overlooked this neighborhood. It's kind of 'tucked away' if you know what I mean. I used to stay off of 27th & Michigan, due east of this nice area, and I even forgot about it.

I do reccommend it though. It has parks, urban architechture, a quiet family friendly environment and is minutes away from everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I also agree on the fact that Milwaukee is not segregated.
But you said later on in that same post...

Quote:
Ever notice that Milwaukee's black area the north side is still all black for the most part and that the Hispanics came into Milwaukee and decided to live on the south side and start their own community and the old Poles of the city just happened to migrate to the far south side and south suburbs.
This is exactly what I am talking about. This problem is also creating another one: that a lot of these communities are becoming insular.

Quote:
To me Milwaukee is not segregated, not even close. The suburbs yes.
Both are. The suburbs are worse, but the city also has a big problem with segregation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwauk0968550ee City View Post
I have always argued, Why is segregation bad?
Narrow-mindedness, bigotry, fear, hatred, ignorance...

A wise man once said "A nation divided cannot stand." Whether it's nations, or cities, we need to be tolerant of each other.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:48 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,109,500 times
Quote:
Parts on the near south side remind of areas of Queens N.Y. because of the ethnic and racial mix.
After spending a summer in NY, I know what you mean.!!!

Quote:
Narrow-mindedness, bigotry, fear, hatred, ignorance...

A wise man once said "A nation divided cannot stand." Whether it's nations, or cities, we need to be tolerant of each other.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that even in our ethnic pockets they aren't 100% Black or Hispanic and in areas that are Hispanic, black and white/ This isn't 1910 we don't just stay on our street any more we all shop, work and play in the same area's so even though they or we may live on a all black, white, Hispanic street it's not like we never come into contact with any other race.

Why is it assumed if you live in an ethnic area or all of one kind of area that you are

"Narrow-mindedness, bigotry, fear, hatred, ignorance..." -KC.

It's not like just b/c you live in the suburbs or the city that you are automatically are afraid of another race or intimidated. There isn't walls around every ethinc group Milwaukee isn't so big that you never come into contact with any other group. I also think that if black, white, Hispanic people don't want to live in segregated areas then they should move.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:01 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC3700 View Post
If we are third, that is still a pretty bad thing.
How and why is it bad? Who, or what, is qualified to make that assertion?

What unit of measurement indicates that living in an area that one chooses, without the help (read: insistence) of others, is detrimental to the fabric of our society? Last time I checked, it was a free country, and I could move where I wanted to. Why is this a problem?

Old 09-30-2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
I guess what I'm trying to say is that even in our ethnic pockets they aren't 100% Black or Hispanic and in areas that are Hispanic, black and white/ This isn't 1910 we don't just stay on our street any more we all shop, work and play in the same area's so even though they or we may live on a all black, white, Hispanic street it's not like we never come into contact with any other race.
Of course people come into contact with each other. The same happened back in 1910 as well.

The problem is how certain areas are disenfranchised economically and a cycle of poverty traps people into an area. There are areas in Milwaukee that actually have unemployment over 60%. As a result of segregation, people who actually are lucky enough to get jobs have to deal with extremely long commutes. They are a lucky few, though, since your average racist businessman doesn't want to hire someone from 20th & Center. In Milwaukee, all that someone usually has to do is look at someone's address when they apply for a job, if they want to discriminate.

Quote:
"Narrow-mindedness, bigotry, fear, hatred, ignorance..." -KC.

It's not like just b/c you live in the suburbs or the city that you are automatically are afraid of another race or intimidated. There isn't walls around every ethinc group Milwaukee isn't so big that you never come into contact with any other group. I also think that if black, white, Hispanic people don't want to live in segregated areas then they should move.
They have. Diverse areas like Sherman Park, Harambee, Silver City and Merrill Park are very popular. But these are only a few neighborhoods out of an entire city. Many people just get fed up with the city and go. After all, Milwaukee is now America's 23rd largest city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
How and why is it bad? Who, or what, is qualified to make that assertion?

What unit of measurement indicates that living in an area that one chooses, without the help (read: insistence) of others, is detrimental to the fabric of our society? Last time I checked, it was a free country, and I could move where I wanted to. Why is this a problem?
Look at the other cities on the list and you'll have the answer to your question. All of them with the exception of New York and Chicago (which aren't segregated) are cities that have problems. Big problems.

I think that you and MC are getting my argument twisted. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with people wanting to live next to each other. What I am saying is that when it is overwhelming, and when it is because of economic hardship and unfairness, is when it is a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee