Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 03:30 PM

200 posts, read 600,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
By 2020, if not 2010, they will be counted as one Metro. To say Milwaukee would be a suburb of Chicago is ridiculous though. That's like saying Fort Worth is a suburb of Dallas, its entirely untrue. Anyway, I'm sure Milwaukee will have to swallow its pride and get use to the term "Chicagoland." At least they get to say hello to the METRA !
I could possibly believe this scenario would be the case in 2020, but certainly not 2010.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 05:10 PM

25 posts, read 49,616 times
Quote:
By 2020, if not 2010, they will be counted as one Metro. To say Milwaukee would be a suburb of Chicago is ridiculous though. That's like saying Fort Worth is a suburb of Dallas, its entirely untrue. Anyway, I'm sure Milwaukee will have to swallow its pride and get use to the term "Chicagoland." At least they get to say hello to the METRA !

There is nothing that indicates the two metros will be combined statistically. A city the size of Milwaukee being deemed a "suburb" would be a disaster for both Chicago and Milwaukee, and America in general.
However, connecting the two cities' economies more and letting them operate as separate entities is a much, much smarter idea.
As far as pride, Chicagoans have been swallowing their pride and moving to the suburbs and to Wisconsin for years to get further away from Chicago. Why? We are not sure.

Last edited by dabulls3285; 11-02-2009 at 05:51 PM..

Old 11-02-2009, 07:15 PM

721 posts, read 1,793,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabulls3285 View Post
There is nothing that indicates the two metros will be combined statistically. A city the size of Milwaukee being deemed a "suburb" would be a disaster for both Chicago and Milwaukee, and America in general.
Chicago and Milwaukee are on their way to being a combined Metropolitan Area. I'm not saying Milwaukee would be a suburb by any means. It will continue to be its own city, but it will just be apart of the Chicago Metro Area. I don't understand why you'd say it would be a disaster if the two were to combine.

Quote:
However, connecting the two cities' economies more and letting them operate as separate entities is a much, much smarter idea.
They would continue to operate as separate entities, they would just be considered the same Metro Area instead of two separate ones. This is evident in places like Dallas/Fort Worth, Minneapolis/St. Paul, and San Francisco and Oakland.

Quote:
As far as pride, Chicagoans have been swallowing their pride and moving to the suburbs and to Wisconsin for years to get further away from Chicago. Why? We are not sure.
Yeah, Chicago has seen a mass exodus out of the city since the mid 1950's, but that trend has greatly slowed and even reversed. Sure, a small portion of Illinois residents move to Wisconsin for lower taxes, and cheaper cost of living overall, but far more Wisconsin residents come to Illinois.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:28 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
Quote:
Credibility....GONE!

Old 11-02-2009, 08:43 PM

947 posts, read 2,422,375 times
I really don't get the "swallowing their pride" statement. I can tell you why I moved to the suburbs after living in Chicago for 38 years: I lived near Midway airport and the planes started up again big time after having been an almost dead airport for years. Traffic became unbearable in that area and I wanted to try a different lifestyle. It was nice not to hear my neighbor's conversations when the windows were open, or have planes fly so close to your house you could make out faces.

There are people who will always love the city-whatever city-not just Chicago, and those who desire more elbow room. It doesn't mean the two hate each other or can't co-exist without creating rivalry. Same goes for the real or imaginary rivalry between Chicago and Milwaukee.

Last edited by ImaloneJill; 11-02-2009 at 09:48 PM..

Old 11-03-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Chicago and Milwaukee are on their way to being a combined Metropolitan Area. I'm not saying Milwaukee would be a suburb by any means. It will continue to be its own city, but it will just be apart of the Chicago Metro Area. I don't understand why you'd say it would be a disaster if the two were to combine.

They would continue to operate as separate entities, they would just be considered the same Metro Area instead of two separate ones. This is evident in places like Dallas/Fort Worth, Minneapolis/St. Paul, and San Francisco and Oakland.

Yeah, Chicago has seen a mass exodus out of the city since the mid 1950's, but that trend has greatly slowed and even reversed. Sure, a small portion of Illinois residents move to Wisconsin for lower taxes, and cheaper cost of living overall, but far more Wisconsin residents come to Illinois.

First, I did not say it would be a disaster if the two "combined". Read it again please. I said it would be a disaster if Milwaukee was deemed a suburb, as it would be if any of these U.S. cities were deemed suburbs of nearby larger cities. There are far more negatives than positives associated with that distinction.
Second, there are not far more people moving to Illinois from WI than the other way around. It is estimated that over 70,000 people migrated from Illinois to WI in recent years. That is compared to only 20,000 moving from WI to Illinois. Chicago gained a ton of illegal immigrant population during the 1990s, but since 2000 it has given up much of what it gained and is losing population again. These are facts, not off handed comments like yours.

Last edited by dabulls3285; 11-03-2009 at 09:12 AM..

Old 11-03-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Credibility....GONE!

As the majority of people on this thread stated (including yourself) Milwaukee is not, and will never be a suburb.

Why can't you go two posts on any thread without blathering about Chicago in some way? It's a bit obnoxious. We get it. You practically live there.
Whoop-dee-doo.
Again, go get a job & a home there and stop acting like their #1 cheerleader and then offering backhanded digs at Milwaukee. Once you are there, I'm sure you will continue to go on and on about it, and denigrate Milwaukee any way you know how.

Last edited by dabulls3285; 11-03-2009 at 09:12 AM..

Old 11-03-2009, 09:22 AM

28 posts, read 26,084 times
Milwaukee City is alright but I agree that he fawns over Chicago way too much. Chicago has never needed a cheerleader. Milwaukee City puts on the short skirt, fuzzy sweater, and the pom poms.

Last edited by the fonz; 11-03-2009 at 09:34 AM..

Old 11-03-2009, 10:34 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
Quote:
As the majority of people on this thread stated (including yourself) Milwaukee is not, and will never be a suburb.

Why can't you go two posts on any thread without blathering about Chicago in some way? It's a bit obnoxious. We get it. You practically live there.
Whoop-dee-doo.
Again, go get a job & a home there and stop acting like their #1 cheerleader and then offering backhanded digs at Milwaukee. Once you are there, I'm sure you will continue to go on and on about it, and denigrate Milwaukee any way you know how.

WOW! First off, I don't want Milwaukee to be a suburb. All I said was that the two areas will be considered one eventually. I never put down Milwaukee, If anything I am way too much of a homer for the city of Milwaukee. Nobody can or has ever accused of denigrate Milwaukee in anyway. I see you are new here, which make me wonder, did you just change from an old screen name to avoid a past reputation?

I am Milwaukee's biggest fan here and it's quite obvious!

Old 11-03-2009, 12:02 PM

721 posts, read 1,793,207 times
Quote:
First, I did not say it would be a disaster if the two "combined". Read it again please. I said it would be a disaster if Milwaukee was deemed a suburb, as it would be if any of these U.S. cities were deemed suburbs of nearby larger cities.
Very few people have seriously claimed it would be a suburb. It wouldn't be a disaster if it was referred to as a suburb of Chicago though. It's just a title, it has no bearing whatsoever on the city itself.

Quote:
There are far more negatives than positives associated with that distinction.
There are no serious threatening problems posed by someone calling Milwaukee a suburb of Chicago.

Quote:
Chicago gained a ton of illegal immigrant population during the 1990s, but since 2000 it has given up much of what it gained and is losing population again. These are facts, not off handed comments like yours.
...Chicago's pushing 3 million within the city limits and over 10 million for the metro area, I hardly call that a decline.

Congrats, you've officially graduated from The University of Wisconsin at Trollstown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee