Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2009, 02:55 PM

13 posts, read 44,309 times

Advertisements

I will be attending UWM next fall and am wondering about the neighborhoods around campus and general safety near campus. I have heard of Oakland Avenue and Downer Avenue neighborhoods, but are there any others within walking distance to check out? are these neighborhoods safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 01:34 AM

1,773 posts, read 1,265,668 times
Yes, Oakland is safe, Downer is safe. The more east you get of Oakland, the better you'll be. If you can try to rent closer to the more residential/family areas, you'll be much safer. However, everything around UWM is pretty safe. Also, if you're looking to expand away from that area, Brady St. is also nice. Lots to do, you can walk at night, etc.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:57 PM

I'm actually going to be living on campus in the Sandburg towers(if i get in those hopefully), but just wondering about nearby areas to hang out in with friends, find something to eat, entertainment, etc. also, what about the riverwest area? I believe Riverview Residence Hall and Cambridge Commons Residence Hall are in that area? I have heard of the Brady St. area and drove through it with my older brother when I visited him. it looked like a nice area. my brother lives on the lower east side I believe, and he was kind of by that.

thanks for the info!

Old 12-01-2009, 06:34 AM

319 posts, read 634,273 times
You'll be fine. Just be smart. Don't wander around by yourself at night, don't drink too much and smart off, pay attention if people are behind you or coming at you. You know, basic street smarts. My thoughts on Riverwest as an occasional visitor is that outside of Bay View, it's the only other part of the city I'd live in. Having said that, it can be rough and it's sort of a block by block situation although I feel that generally, the closer you are to the river, the better off the area you're in. It's a city, crime can happen anywhere, but most likely won't if you're proactively smart about it.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:55 PM

that's what I'm planning on doing. I'm gonna try to go out in a group when I'm off campus too. and at night, I would take advantage of B.O.S.S. and other public safety programs. I don't plan on drinking at all either, it's not something I want to do.

thanks for the info! discussion from other UWM students/people familiar with the area is highly appreciated! (favorite restaurants, stores, entertainment, parks, best things to do, etc.)

Old 04-06-2010, 11:31 AM

4 posts, read 14,632 times
Default Talking UWM Neighborhood Restaurants

The campus neighborhood is far more residential than commercial, so the better dining spots require a little walking. My favorites among those nearby (half-mile radius of campus) are:
Cafe Hollander, Cafe Hollander
City Market, The City Market
Harry's, Harry's Bar & Grill

Old 04-23-2010, 11:01 AM

5 posts, read 26,750 times
I know one thing may be interesting... There is a lot of open wifi around that area...

Pay attention to whats going on around you is the main thing. Get a police scanner so you know what your dealing with in the area. Check out Milwaukee most wanted website. Check with campus police for info?

Rent Chuck Norris videos....

Jeff

Old 04-23-2010, 06:28 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,002,930 times
O.K. we get it. You don't like Milwaukee. Thats fine it's not for you. But why do you insist on repeating the same thing over and over. We understood you fine the first 4 or 5 times. Now it's the same thing. Why don't you return to this forum when you have something interesting or original to post. This forum isn't here for you to hijack so you can beat your opinion into our heads. Not everyone agrees with you. Learn to deal with it.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:25 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,312,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavinmilw View Post
No, these neighborhoods are not safe. Rapes, murders, and burglaries happen routinely around here. Your best bet is to find a place in Brookfield or Pewaukee and commute in.
Oh please, the neighborhoods are quite safe. But for the biggest of worriers, your advice is not good enough: I recommend living in central North Dakota and commuting via armored helicopter. Commuting by car could lead to carjackings.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:20 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,002,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavinmilw View Post
I'm not attempting to hijack or beat my opinion into anyone's head. I'm also not trying to be interesting or original. I'm simply stating facts and attempting to help the op in his search to find a safe place to live. Sorry if I offended any of you. I'd also like for you to show me any evidence which would indicate that I am having any trouble dealing with the fact that not everyone agrees with me. It simply isn't so. If you don't agree with me, you are either ignorant or misinformed. Deal with THAT.
I'm dealing with it fine. I could care less what you think of Milwaukee. I've been here long enough to make my mind up on things. But I find your repeating of the same thing over and over to be obnoxious. WE GET YOUR POINT! And yes you have hijacked this forum. No question about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee