Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 08:00 PM

8,275 posts, read 22,989,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
And do consider calling the LGBT Center and joining a club or organization. It's a fun way to meet people who have similar interests.
You could try the MKE gay arts center, they have wine nights and art shows. Might be worth a try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 03:50 AM

196 posts, read 470,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
You could try the MKE gay arts center, they have wine nights and art shows. Might be worth a try.
Actually you have me more interested in you now that I know all this guys were trying to get your number and by you a drink. You must be yummy. Haha! Never considered being gay, eh? OUGHTA TRY! :P j/k!

But yea, I went to Gay Arts Center a few times at the beginning of this summer and didn't really like it. They have very few events and sometimes you have to pay to be apart of it, sometimes it's with people who aren't your age, inconsitent crowds, etc. Not my thing!

Old 01-31-2010, 11:09 AM

236 posts, read 236,390 times
Hey AmericanHistory09...we think you shouldn't disparage older gay men too much. Instead we suggest getting to know them on a platonic basis. Why? Because of us as an example. We're in our 50s and our many friends are comprised of a large number of younger gay men, many of whom are single like yourself and looking for a tryst or relationship.

So we introduce them to each other. Should any older guy make a pass or innuendo (sorry, lol, bad pun!) just tell them you're interested in a relationship with someone close to your own age. If they don't get that they're not worth knowing. The best way to meet someone is to meet many people. Out of them there will someone that you're drawn to that'll be drawn to you.

They still smoke in bars etc in the US? Good gosh.

-Doug of thosemeninlove

Old 01-31-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thosemeninlove View Post
Hey AmericanHistory09...we think you shouldn't disparage older gay men too much. Instead we suggest getting to know them on a platonic basis. Why? Because of us as an example. We're in our 50s and our many friends are comprised of a large number of younger gay men, many of whom are single like yourself and looking for a tryst or relationship.

So we introduce them to each other. Should any older guy make a pass or innuendo (sorry, lol, bad pun!) just tell them you're interested in a relationship with someone close to your own age. If they don't get that they're not worth knowing. The best way to meet someone is to meet many people. Out of them there will someone that you're drawn to that'll be drawn to you.

They still smoke in bars etc in the US? Good gosh.

-Doug of thosemeninlove
Haha! I certainly didn't mean to offend you. In fact, I wish more gay youth were like older gay men as older gay men are typically looking for more than a fling. That being said, I've learned that platonic relationships aren't very possible between myself and older men. All of the older men I've dealt with have been very importunate and persistent in their advancements. I feel horrible rejecting people as it is without continually doing it. I usually try to send signals that I'm not interested without giving an explicit 'no' but oftentimes I'm forced to repetitively explicit with older men.

I knew this one older gay man in his 50s and he was a sweetheart. He was funny and very charming. I thought it was going to be platonic when he started giving me subtle advances. Besides, I'd feel I am taking complete advantage of older men by using them to find other young people. The only older gay man I would befriend is perhaps one who is in a very committed relationship.

I should definitely take your advice on making more friends though. I'm pretty antisocial and don't really work on friendships and never have; strictly romantic relationships. I've never been much for friendships to be honest. Thing about friendships is I'd have to come out to the person in order to meet more people so it can be just as hard as finding a romantic relationship. It's still a matter of finding who's gay or gay-friendly. Guys will just always think you're hitting on them if you come out to them so all my friendships would have to be with girls. I have one friend who is a girl who introduced me to a gay guy who I was very disinterested in but it's only one. Maybe I should make it a goal to make more friends who are girls I suppose.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:10 PM

lol, pish-posh, you offend us not at all (in fact we think you're very likely a nice man, or we wouldn't be trying to help you here), we just thought to offer you a friendly handshake and another way of looking at your predicament. There are many routes out of a frustrating circumstance.

heheh, maybe we weren't very clear when we spoke of friendships; apologies! We speak of GAY friends. You should collect some, because the best lover you can ever have is one that is also your best friend. We should know *winks at AmericanHistory09*. You may also have a hard time finding another anti-social gay man. How would you ever meet them if they're anti-social? If you try a relationship with a social gay man he'll end up pretty unhappy, because to be with an anti-social man would mean he'd have to loose his friends.

The trick here is to become a little more social, the more gay men you get know, the greater the likelihood you'll find love. The world is wide, my friend, and anything, anything is possible.

*punches American lightly on the arm and gives him a hug*

-Doug of thosemeninlove

Old 02-01-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
lol, pish-posh, you offend us not at all (in fact we think you're very likely a nice man, or we wouldn't be trying to help you here), we just thought to offer you a friendly handshake and another way of looking at your predicament. There are many routes out of a frustrating circumstance.

heheh, maybe we weren't very clear when we spoke of friendships; apologies! We speak of GAY friends. You should collect some, because the best lover you can ever have is one that is also your best friend. We should know *winks at AmericanHistory09*. You may also have a hard time finding another anti-social gay man. How would you ever meet them if they're anti-social? If you try a relationship with a social gay man he'll end up pretty unhappy, because to be with an anti-social man would mean he'd have to loose his friends.

The trick here is to become a little more social, the more gay men you get know, the greater the likelihood you'll find love. The world is wide, my friend, and anything, anything is possible.

*punches American lightly on the arm and gives him a hug*

-Doug of thosemeninlove
How nice of you! Given your age, I'm sure you have a lot of of wisdom and intelligence you could pass on and I do thank you for sharing a little of that. Could I just ask you one question. Who's "us"? Are you on here with somebody else or something?! I'm confused by that.

Yea! I've tried to be social and go out to malls and club. I still feel a little nervous about walking up to random strangers out of nowhere and introducing myself. Most people think you're hitting on them: both guys and girls. LMFAO! And I usually only want to go up to sexy guys and introduce myself. Walking up to random strangers and starting conversation is really very hard even if u know what u will say.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:52 PM

Take a look at our profile - we are Doug and Bill. We've been together for 20 years - monogamous - (or monotonous, lol, I always crack up at that joke). We finally got married last summer - I put a few pics on our profile.

-Doug of thosemeninlove
PS practice makes perfect. When I was your age I was very introverted, but by the time I met Bill I was very used to casually making one-liner jokes or just friendly observations to strangers. Which is how I met Bill. We were at a club of all places. He was looking up at all the lights hanging from rather shaky scaffolding. I leaned forward and right in his ear said,

"If there's an earthquake we're all going to die."

The rest, my friend, is history.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Take a look at our profile - we are Doug and Bill. We've been together for 20 years - monogamous - (or monotonous, lol, I always crack up at that joke). We finally got married last summer - I put a few pics on our profile.

-Doug of thosemeninlove
PS practice makes perfect. When I was your age I was very introverted, but by the time I met Bill I was very used to casually making one-liner jokes or just friendly observations to strangers. Which is how I met Bill. We were at a club of all places. He was looking up at all the lights hanging from rather shaky scaffolding. I leaned forward and right in his ear said,

"If there's an earthquake we're all going to die."

The rest, my friend, is history.
Awww! That is sooooo adorable on how you two met and have lasted so long, Doug. What a beautiful thing you two have. I'm jealous because that is what I have always wanted: something special with another person like you two have and for it to be a "monotonous" (lol) success story of 20 years and longer. Congratulations on that by the way. That's definitely something to brag about in the society we live in in which people are divorcing, cheating on each other left and right, can't get along, etc. You are soooo lucky to have each other.

You two keep doing exactly whatever it is you're doing because it's really a very magical thing and I am so happy for you on being able to get married and live your lives together.

Hmmm! Nice idea on the witty one-liners to get things kicked off. I can tell a sense of humor and a sense of confidence comes natural to you and you've used that to your advantage. I can be witty to but my wit is sarcastic and meant to make people look foolish. I don't suppose that's going to get me anywhere. :P I am seriously going to try the one-liner in place of what I usually do.

It's funny you say you met a guy in a club that way. That is the same story I had with a guy in a club a few weeks ago. Oddly enough, I walked up to him and he had never been to La Cage before and was paying attention to all the lighting. Very handsome and he was even receptive and felt my back a lot of times when we spoke. I hate myself though because I didn't follow through mainly because he said he lived in Chicago and was just visiting here and I don't leave Milwaukee all that much so I didn't see how it was going to work.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:21 AM

Thanks AmericanHistory09 *BLUSH* I was very anti-social and had to learn my way out of it, luckily I had by the time Bill came along. Whew! Your Chicago connection sounds like a nice man, and you know, turning it down was OK, and the coulda-shoulda feelings you have can serve as inspiration and motivation to have a different outcome the next time you meet someone. It's all good!

lol, glad you enjoyed our profile, scant as it is.

- Doug ( Bill is leaving for working but yelling to say Hi)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee