Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 04:02 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,961,788 times

Advertisements

I just received a job offer in the Milwaukee area. The company's offices are located in Brookfield, WI. I'm not looking to live in Brookfield, I would definitely want to live in Milwaukee, especially since Brookfield seems like a very easy commute. What are some good areas in Milwaukee to live in? Just some background info on myself: I'm 25, I was born and raised in New York City and I've lived in Chicago for the past couple years, so I am very used to an urban lifestyle. I like to go out to bars and comedy clubs, I like having good dining options, good markets, and lots to do within my neighborhood, and I like living in an area where those things are within walking distance. And I would definitely like a fairly safe area as well, and preferebly in a growing area. I'm looking to spend no more than 1500 per month on a 1 bedroom apartment, so the neighborhood would definitely have to be within that budget. I know I won't find a neighborhood exactly like what I'm used to in New York or Chicago, but I've been to Milwaukee a couple times and it seems like there are a lot of great attributes to the city and I've heard lots of good things. If I accept the offer, what would be some neighborhoods that I should take a look at?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 04:17 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,117,756 times
Brady Street, The Third Ward, The Upper East Side around North and Farwell, North end of Walker's Point, downtown, and many condo's and apartments along Prospect Ave.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:15 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,563,306 times
you're really gonna love milwaukee!!! it's a great city! there's so much to see and do. Summerfest is great.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:51 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,569,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
I just received a job offer in the Milwaukee area. The company's offices are located in Brookfield, WI. I'm not looking to live in Brookfield, I would definitely want to live in Milwaukee, especially since Brookfield seems like a very easy commute. What are some good areas in Milwaukee to live in? Just some background info on myself: I'm 25, I was born and raised in New York City and I've lived in Chicago for the past couple years, so I am very used to an urban lifestyle. I like to go out to bars and comedy clubs, I like having good dining options, good markets, and lots to do within my neighborhood, and I like living in an area where those things are within walking distance. And I would definitely like a fairly safe area as well, and preferebly in a growing area. I'm looking to spend no more than 1500 per month on a 1 bedroom apartment, so the neighborhood would definitely have to be within that budget. I know I won't find a neighborhood exactly like what I'm used to in New York or Chicago, but I've been to Milwaukee a couple times and it seems like there are a lot of great attributes to the city and I've heard lots of good things. If I accept the offer, what would be some neighborhoods that I should take a look at?

Thanks in advance!
You'd probably do well in the Third Ward, it's got all of that. I personally love the Brady St. area, it's a bit more diverse & grittier than Third Ward but it's got everything you need. Check those two areas out. And your price range is definitely not a problem at all, you'll find something very decent.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:48 PM

402 posts, read 976,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Brady Street, The Third Ward, The Upper East Side around North and Farwell, North end of Walker's Point, downtown, and many condo's and apartments along Prospect Ave.

I second this post. Brady Street area . I live there even though I am old(er)

Old 10-02-2009, 10:41 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,316,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post

Thanks in advance!
The Third Ward and Yankee Hill both fit the profile pretty well. I would also recommend the Prospect Avenue area south of North Ave. if you like high-rises and the "Gold Coast" look.

The Third Ward is a historic district just south of downtown and nestled between the lake and the Menomenee and Milwaukee Rivers. The apartments, lofts, and condos are all pretty much new construction with lots of up-to-date amenities. There are energetic and upscale bars, restaurants, and shops in that area, as well as the Milwaukee Public Market. It's an easy walk right up the way to downtown, where there's also a lot of nightlife and commerce.

Yankee Hill is a historic area just north of downtown close to the lake. It's characterized by close-in housing stock from the late 19th and early 20th century, though some newer apartments and townhouses have been built, too. This neighborhood is more low-rise and has lots of trees, but there are places to walk to in and around it. It's an easy, quick walk to downtown and even the Brady Street area.

The Prospect Avenue corridor is characterized by newish and new high-rise apartments and condos, as well as middle-aged medium-rise apartment/condo buildings and a few Gilded Age mansions converted into residential and commercial space. There isn't much in the way of businesses in the most densely packed section of this corridor, but it's just a short walk away to the Brady St. area and the North Ave. district. This area overlooks the lake.

I agree that the Brady Street corridor is also worth considering, though (as has been said) it's a bit grittier with more of a mix of students, professionals, and townies.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:32 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,961,788 times
Thanks for all of the responses. I haven't yet declined or accepted the offer yet as I am still in salary discussions with the firm, but I am coming up to Milwaukee to check out some neighborhoods you have all suggested and explore the city for a bit on Saturday so I can get a better idea of whether I'd want to move here or not. Thanks again!

Old 10-29-2009, 11:54 PM

3 posts, read 20,018 times
for that amount of money that you are willing to pay just buy a house!!!!! just stay away from the southside and the northside....and some parts of the east side..and you will be fine, or maybe go to west allis....lol their is a bar in every corner....

Old 10-30-2009, 06:28 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,117,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveibapadilla69 View Post
just stay away from the southside and the northside
...because if it's one thing we all know is that all of the south side is terrible and I wouldn't want to live in that ghetto called Wilson Park neighborhood.
or near Park Place or Dreztka Park on the North Side, I think what you meant was "near" south and north sides.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:39 PM

12 posts, read 43,339 times
The north side of downtown Milwaukee is nice. I think the locals call it the east side. Why is that? Anything west is also nice. I west to school up there in the 90s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee