Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2007, 11:29 AM

9 posts, read 52,914 times

Advertisements

How do these two cities compare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 07:31 PM

151 posts, read 705,404 times
They are similar in cultural offerings and size, but from what I remember I think that Cincinnati is a little more picturesque. I went to school at UD (Dayton) in the early 80's and spent some time down there and I really liked it! I have no idea what it might be like, now, though, so people who have been there more recently would have more to offer!

Old 06-04-2007, 10:31 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,713,816 times
Actually...I guess this shows where opinions can just differ and that's great...I have always found Milwaukee to be a bit more picturesque than Cincy (although Cincy has its bright spots of course too).

I like Cincy. One of my favorite Midwestern towns. However, I just prefer the Milwaukee area, although I admittedly am biased likely having lived much of my life there.

One major advantage to me of Cincy over Milwaukee is the weather. Cincy is much milder in the winters, springs, etc. Much less snow in Cincy and much milder winters. Summers in Cincy are much more muggy and hot than Milwaukee generally, but I would take that two month tradeoff of the hotter/muggier weather for the ten more mild months.

Having said that, Milwaukee's lakefront and assorted buildings/attractions down by it is one aspect that I think makes Milwaukee a bit nicer.

While there are many "dumpy" parts for sure of the actual city of Milwaukee, taking the whole metro area of Milwaukee and the metro of Cincy, Milwaukee tends to be a little bit nicer kept I find, but it is close.

I would say that cultural diversity (I am thinking especially of the Mexican culture with food, etc.) is more widespread in Milwaukee than Cincinatti. Politically as a whole, I would say that Milwaukee metro is more liberal (although Milwaukee's suburbs are heavily conservative except for the North Shore ones) and Cincy's metro is more conservative.

Cincy is a bit more rolling, while Milwaukee is more flat.

Sports are big in both areas. Milwaukee has an NBA team while Cincy does not, (Milwaukee doesn't have an NFL team officially but the Packers are essentially Milwaukee's).

I prefer Milwaukee's unique and neat downtown, but Cincy's is nice too.

Both cities have big strong points and I wouldn't say massively bad things of either. If weather is huge to you, you might prefer Cincy, however, as a whole, my vote is for Milwaukee metro. But after Milwaukee (and Kansas City
MO) Cincy is right up there for me. So both are nice.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:47 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,802,842 times
They are similar in size.....Cincy would have better burbs, and Milwaukee better city to me.

Cincy has better winter and Spring, Milwaukee has better summer and a lakefront. Overall Cincy will have better weather.

Similar size areas.....and KC and Pittsburgh come to mind in similar size areas.

Milwaukee has made great strides in recentyears in the downtown areas. More places to socialize, more little downtown neighborhoods for living, entertainment etc...Milwaukee is more compact than Cinci as a downtown. Cinci's is bigger and more spread out.

Neither has great diversity imo...but edge Milwaukee.

Chicago is 1.5 hr ride away via car or train from Milwaukee. Plenty of other road trops to Lakes etc...

Cinci is much cleaner overall. Milwaukee is not nearly as clean as Cinci, K.C. Minneapolis etc...is an old grey industrial town....trying to change that....took long time for progress but lots of it has been made in past 5-10 years. Also Cinci has those hills, Mt Adams etc...much more attractive than Milwaukee from physical standpoint.

Milwaukee has seemingly a bar every block....it is a bar town....

Milwaukee has tons of festivals downtown nearly every weekend in summer.

Cinci imo is more of a family, conservative suburb town....not that Milwaukee is much different, but there are pockets of progressiveness too, and city is compact, easy to get around in 5 minutes time.

The two biggest drawbacks for Milwaukee for me are the weather from January-May. ....and comapred to many major cities of similar size, it is not as pretty or attractive looking.....a third would be not diverse enough....

I'd take Milwaukee over Cincy if I had to pick one....but they aren't radically different from one another. Milwaukee would feel more like Cleveland to me than Cincy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee