Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 04:28 AM

8,276 posts, read 23,008,910 times

Advertisements

So I started to dust off my fishing poles and tackle and plan on getting back into fishing like I used to. However I have only fished inland lakes and I know nothing about fishing Lake Michigan or where the best fishing stores in Milwaukee. So I am looking for fishing hot spots in and around Milwaukee on Lake Michigan and the Milwaukee River. Also if someone could recommend a good bait shop/tackle shop the best place to buy fishing gear or maybe just a website that could supply all of this info.

PS: I will drive up to Cabelas but would rather not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 06:40 AM

319 posts, read 632,447 times
I enjoy going out to the breakwater at McKinley at about 4 AM and sitting out with the old guys while they fish. Big spoons or minnows under a slip bobber work best for trout and salmon. Perch fishing heats up in the summer. Bring a folding chair and a cooler and enjoy.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:16 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,608,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
So I started to dust off my fishing poles and tackle and plan on getting back into fishing like I used to. However I have only fished inland lakes and I know nothing about fishing Lake Michigan or where the best fishing stores in Milwaukee. So I am looking for fishing hot spots in and around Milwaukee on Lake Michigan and the Milwaukee River. Also if someone could recommend a good bait shop/tackle shop the best place to buy fishing gear or maybe just a website that could supply all of this info.

This site has a lot of information. I'm sure there are others.

lake-link.com

It does have some information on specific spots, including estabrook park and the Milwaukee River. The forum I mentioned above is pretty active. There are other reports from north points on the Milwaukee River as well, such as Thiensville, etc. Kletsch (sp?) park seems to be a big one too. I'm almost positive that you have to have a Great Lakes salmon/trout stamp to fish the river, but I'm not sure how far north on the river this applies. I'm far from an expert, but I have seen a lot of fishing action in the river, north of downtown.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:41 AM

1,773 posts, read 1,260,534 times
Quote:

Estabrook Park

Old 03-19-2010, 10:32 AM

8,276 posts, read 23,008,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedjat View Post
Estabrook Park
You know you are the fifth person to recommend that spot, why and specifically where in the park? What can one expect to catch there?

Old 03-19-2010, 03:22 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,608,997 times
Quote:
You know you are the fifth person to recommend that spot, why and specifically where in the park? What can one expect to catch there?
Trout, salmon, bass, pike. Depends on what part of the river, I'm sure. I'm sure you can probably find out some more from more specific forums, or maybe from stores that sell equipment. I used to ride my bike along the 76 trail every afternoon from downtown to Hampton Avenue, and one day I talked to 2 men from IL who drove from Lake County, IL later in the afternoon, specifically to fish the Milwaukee River. (I remember this because they were from the North Shore suburbs of Chicago and I talked to them about it for a while, having lived there myself for a long time).

Check out some of the posts on the forum I mentioned, from 10/2009 (they have pictures). It seems some people mention their spots. Although I'm not much of a fisherman, I'd be tempted to give the river a try because it's so close to my house. Maybe I'll give it a try later in the season.

Kletsch Park is another location often mentioned.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:03 AM

319 posts, read 632,447 times
Yeah, the parks are good for fishing. I just got skeeved out by having some guy following me around for 10 minutes there. I haven't been back up there since. I don't know what it's like now, but it was (is?) a notorious place for random gay crusing.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:31 AM

136 posts, read 422,875 times
I enjoy lake Michigan fishing so much I no longer can fish a inland lake! I have my own boat and usually go out 5 times a week in the summer months (weather permiting) and my favorite spots are near the power plant a few miles of shore.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:03 PM

1 posts, read 12,116 times
Another great area is the Menominee River around Harley Davidson and the WE Energies Discharge. You can get some lunker walleye in spring and fall. Look at a good map of the river and you can find some public areas to fish. There is also a spot by Ricardos Riverfront pizzaria by that weird bridge. I have caught jumbo perch and walleye there this spring.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:44 AM

5 posts, read 26,633 times
Please don't go to Estabrook Park... Or if you do? look around the parking lot first and let us know what you see on the ground. And in the woods.

That makes me sick when I see things like this! I bet when you see for your self you will never go back... I call it "profolatic park"

Just 30 miles north of Milwaukee is Ozaukee and Washington county. You can find great fishing in the river and non of that crap to deal with.

Just wanted to tell it.. like it is.... for your safety.... I dont care what you wanna do... just dont do it in our parks! PLEASE

Jeff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee