Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 12:42 AM

4 posts, read 11,232 times

Advertisements

I am moving to milwaukee this summer. I am not familiar with the city. Can anyone please suggest which areas would be suitable for renting? I have a 7 year old, so school is important andI will be working in downtown. My job is very demanding and requires long hours. So I want areas with good schools near downtown. So far after browsing through the forum I am thinking about Brookfield. Do you have any other suggestions? I am looking for apartments and townhomes. What do you think about living in downtown and sending my child to private school? What about other areas like greenfield, greendale, wauwatosa, shorewood or bayview? I will really appreciate any advise. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 10:45 AM

5 posts, read 13,812 times
Private schools near downtown are pretty bad, just not very many professionals with children in DT, it's changing but not there yet. I'd skip Shorewood and go 2 miles farther north to Whitefish Bay if you want a city feel. Brookfield if you want suburban feel. BF has better schools, just more suburban than WFB.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:30 AM

Thank you so much for your reply. Since I have to work long hours I was thinking about downtown as I did not want to spend a lot of time in the road. But if the schools are not good then I have to drop the plan. I will try to find a suitable place either in WFB or BF, whichever is nearer. Do you have any idea where to look for rental properties cause I have been searching in the internet but i could find only smaller apartments in these areas and no townhomes or bigger apartments. Thanks again for your reply.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:37 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,006,135 times
Catholic East, St Roberts, St. Monica, Holy Family and Tamarack School on Brady are all good private grade schools within 10 minutes of downtown. They are all located on the East Side or near north shore. Also, Shorewood and Whitefish bay have excellent elementary schools. Maryland Ave school on the east side has made an excellent turnaround and now the majority of the students are from the neighborhood and the school has greatly improved. They are plenty of schools with in a 10 minute drive due north or Downtown. You don't have to drive 25 minutes west to find a decent grade school.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:42 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,006,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityinfomation View Post
Thank you so much for your reply. Since I have to work long hours I was thinking about downtown as I did not want to spend a lot of time in the road. But if the schools are not good then I have to drop the plan. I will try to find a suitable place either in WFB or BF, whichever is nearer. Do you have any idea where to look for rental properties cause I have been searching in the internet but i could find only smaller apartments in these areas and no townhomes or bigger apartments. Thanks again for your reply.
How much are you willing to spend? There are plenty of rentals, but a big place on the north shore or east side can be expensive.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:04 PM

204 posts, read 752,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chisel View Post
I'd skip Shorewood and go 2 miles farther north to Whitefish Bay if you want a city feel.
Call me crazy but I'd say Shorewood offers much more of a "city feel" than Whitefish Bay...

Old 05-04-2010, 02:11 PM

42 posts, read 101,187 times
id recommend the southside suburbs, greendale, greenfield, franklin. stay away from milwaukee schools

Old 05-04-2010, 03:25 PM

Thanks a lot for all the replies. Everbody seems to have a different opinion! I am looking for 3 bedroom apartments or townhomes/condo ( 1400-1600). But found very few options in the internet. What about the southside areas? Greendale, greenfield, franklin..are these areas safe? Thanks again everyone.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:39 PM

180 posts, read 663,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel123 View Post
id recommend the southside suburbs, greendale, greenfield, franklin. stay away from milwaukee schools
Let me guess... a white-flighter from the "old southside" who thinks anywhere that the brown faces outnumber the fair ones is the boogeyman?

For all the hysteria about the performance of MPS (Milwaukee Public Schools) there's plenty of good schools in the system that can be found by anyone whose willing to put in a little research. As far as high schools, Rufus King and Riverside are considered the top tier and are amongst the top performing urban public high schools anywhere in the country and arguably . But there's also a lot of magnet schools which... despite not necessarily being as good overall... certainly excel in what they specialize in.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:40 PM

180 posts, read 663,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityinfomation View Post
Thanks a lot for all the replies. Everbody seems to have a different opinion! I am looking for 3 bedroom apartments or townhomes/condo ( 1400-1600). But found very few options in the internet. What about the southside areas? Greendale, greenfield, franklin..are these areas safe? Thanks again everyone.
Wow... 8 posts before this came up! My over/under was set at 5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee