Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 11:54 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul91 View Post
I am 19 years old. I am Mexican, and have lived in Minnesota since I was 4. I must say I have never neither I nor any others in my family experienced racism at all! I've been to small towns up north with my friends who are caucasian and didn't experience anything racist. On the contrary, I found the people to be a lot more pleasant than the ones in the cities. I went to small stores alone in those towns and I found people to be very friendly and they always strike conversations with me. I live in Minneapolis near richfield and all of our neighbors are white, never had problems with them. When they have Barbecues they will come and invite us and we do the same when we have barbecues. My dad hangs out with the neighbors. so, in my personal experience I have never experienced or seen racism here. Of course it may not be the same for all.

Good day.

Edit: Unfortunately, I think people mistake racism for rudeness. If a person of one race is rude to another for what ever reason, then the other person seems to think that they are being treated that way because of their skin color, Even though that's not the case.
This is such an excellent point! So true! If two white people don't like eachother, it's an argument; but if one is non-white, it's racism or hatred. It's a double standard, for sure, and it's always easier to blame somethinig on racism or hatred instead of looking into the problem and facing the issue head on. That being said, there are always exceptions and I have no idea how often it's just misinterpretation or overt racism -- my guess is that 90% of the time it's NOT racism.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthewater1 View Post
What we need:

ALL of our troops back in OUR country along our borders North & South. We need to stop the aid and handouts for a while and take care of our country first. We need to stop policing the world and mind our own business. If you're not here legally you're out. We need to get back to work and start producing again. We don't have enough industry here anymore -- we import too much. I'm standing in line at the grocery store behind a person with a full cart and pays with food stamps. Now this person had 4 kids with her and as I followed her out of the store, she opened up a late model truck with tricked wheels.. Hello... Hispanics are blowing away whites blacks etc etc as they work hard -- they're doing a lot of the jobs whites and blacks do want or won't do. However, if they're not here legally they need to go it's just that simple. The country would fall on its face though as who would do the jobs they leave behind? I welcome every immigrant to my country that comes here properly as my great grandpa did 100+ years ago. It's that simple. Just as bad, for years people from Chicago have been coming up to the welfare state of MN cashing in on the states liberal hand outs and head back to Chicago... No wonder the state is shut down -- are you kidding me
I liked your post until you commented on Chicago and liberals....my family moved here from Chicago in 1980, btw.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:58 AM

31 posts, read 44,765 times
I meant the general area 5 mile radius. Progress just kept pushing West and as it did the ones who took over these homes trashed them out. They had no respect for the property it's just a fact.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:03 PM

West -- my family has been there for over 100 years -- they were farmers from Europe and busted their tails to survive. I meant no disrespect to Chicago but it is a fact that that happens all the time -- ask around. It's one example I could go on. Politics is another subject but look where our current pres has us headed -- I'm no big bush fan but we certainly need something to happen

Last edited by Onthewater1; 07-17-2011 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-17-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
I meant the general area 5 mile radius. Progress just kept pushing West and as it did the ones who took over these homes trashed them out. They had no respect for the property it's just a fact.
Are you talking North or South of downtown? I figured you meant South. That area is STILL majority majority majority white though, except I guess that small strip along Penn and a bit again along Xerxes. I grew up in the general area (Kenny) myself, and I have friends who live there now. I'm sure it changed (a lot has changed in 100 years), but it's far from "ghetto" or dangerous (or even integrated).

Old 07-17-2011, 12:22 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
Quote:
ALL of our troops back in OUR country along our borders North & South.
Why would you put troops on the Canadian border? What exactly are Canadians doing to us, anyway? They aren't coming here illegally. They're culturally identical to us. Plus, Canada is a very important place for many Minnesotans, who work, shop and play there. Are you really going to tell someone from St. Francis or Noyes, MN to drive all the way to The Cities or Billings, Montana (7 hours away) to do their shopping instead of Winnipeg, which is a short 60-minute drive north? Or even worse, tell them they are now out of a job because they work in Winnipeg and we've decided to shut down the Canadian border because of a few people with irrational xenophobic fear?

I really find this rise in xenophobia and fear of "foreigners" and "others" (interpret those words however you wish) here in America, and especially in the Midwest, very disturbing. I'm not going to touch the illegal immigration issue on this thread, but I will say that most people who come to this country and this state do so with good intentions, and their various cultures add to our social fabric. Could you imagine a Minnesota without the culture influence that came from Scandinavian and German immigrants a century ago? Well, now Africans, Hispanics and Asians are adding to Minnesota's culture in the same way. Why is that bad? I think that some people just fear change.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:08 PM

We can't just guard the South... That's all I'm saying. JUST COME TO OUR COUNTRY THE PROPER WAY... I don't care about color, rase etc -- if you can get here through proper immigration then that's great. Can one move freely to Canada or Mexico -- heck NO Can one travel to most other countries at will with paperwork NO We just need to tighten up the USA and take care of ourselves for a change. Once we're back on track then we can help others, we can even manage our own governments at this point?

Sad as it is we just don't have money to handout right now.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:52 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
Quote:
We can't just guard the South... That's all I'm saying. JUST COME TO OUR COUNTRY THE PROPER WAY... I don't care about color, rase etc -- if you can get here through proper immigration then that's great. Can one move freely to Canada or Mexico -- heck NO Can one travel to most other countries at will with paperwork NO We just need to tighten up the USA and take care of ourselves for a change. Once we're back on track then we can help others, we can even manage our own governments at this point?

Sad as it is we just don't have money to handout right now.
Closing the Canadian border would hurt Americans, not just Canadians. It would hurt Minnesotans and would probably cause many northern MN towns (which depend on Canada for much of their economic activity) to shrivel up and die. Not to mention it would alienate us from our closest ally. In today's age of world travel and global economy, isolationism is not an option. We can't just close our borders and forget the rest of the world.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:45 PM

northstar -- you're not listening... I said do it the right way -- only. please come and go

we can't just go into mexico or canada without the docs.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:19 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,746,643 times
Quote:
northstar -- you're not listening... I said do it the right way -- only. please come and go

we can't just go into mexico or canada without the docs.
Sad that you even have to defend the position that immigrants should be legally granted entry in accordance with the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul