U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 05:27 PM

2,106 posts, read 2,942,291 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know why the nurses will be going on strike July 6?? 12,000 nurses out of the Twin Cities area from 14 different hospitals will be on strike. Does anyone have any info as to why and will this really happen?? What will happen to the patients that will be hospitalized there?
So far I read they can't find enough nurses to replace the ones on strike. Does that mean the hospitals will have to close due to being severely critically understaffed??? This is scary.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 05:52 PM

20,793 posts, read 58,828,397 times
The main issue is over staffing. Hospitals have cut staff over the years to the point where patient care is suffering. I know when my mom started nursing in the early 70's through the early 90's when she retired it was pretty much a 1:1 ratio for patients to nurses (she worked in the ICU). Now they are at a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio and that just isn't safe in the ICU. It is a bigger ratio on other floors.

What happens, they pull in non-union nurses from other states and staff as much as possible. They discharge patients that are able to be discharged, they eliminate elective surgeries and treatments and they get by as best as they can.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
The main issue is over staffing. Hospitals have cut staff over the years to the point where patient care is suffering. I know when my mom started nursing in the early 70's through the early 90's when she retired it was pretty much a 1:1 ratio for patients to nurses (she worked in the ICU). Now they are at a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio and that just isn't safe in the ICU. It is a bigger ratio on other floors.

What happens, they pull in non-union nurses from other states and staff as much as possible. They discharge patients that are able to be discharged, they eliminate elective surgeries and treatments and they get by as best as they can.
Wow 4:1 in ICU?????????!!!!!! That's RIDICULOUS!!!!!! I have seen 3:1 but usually a 2 PCU pts and 1 ICU pts for an assignment for a nurse in ICU, which isn't the best,but was doable. But I haven't witnessed 4:1 in ICU..... I don't see how a hospital could justify that. I just spoke to a nurse in Miami and she told me they have 8-9:1 on the floor in Miami.

Fla nurses need to have a chat with the Minnesota nurses for some inspiration....I hope this strike will work, but I am worried for the pts that will remain with nurses coming in from out of state, they will not have enough nurses to care for the patients properly. I read last time they striked for 24hrs and 12,000 nurses striked while only 2800 out of state nurses were present. How can that be????? This is scary....

Old 06-27-2010, 06:14 PM

20,793 posts, read 58,828,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chica_bella813 View Post
Wow 4:1 in ICU?????????!!!!!! That's RIDICULOUS!!!!!! I have seen 3:1 but usually a 2 PCU pts and 1 ICU pts for an assignment for a nurse in ICU, which isn't the best,but was doable. But I haven't witnessed 4:1 in ICU..... I don't see how a hospital could justify that. I just spoke to a nurse in Miami and she told me they have 8-9:1 on the floor in Miami.

Fla nurses need to have a chat with the Minnesota nurses for some inspiration....I hope this strike will work, but I am worried for the pts that will remain with nurses coming in from out of state, they will not have enough nurses to care for the patients properly. I read last time they striked for 24hrs and 12,000 nurses striked while only 2800 out of state nurses were present. How can that be????? This is scary....
Nurses in MN are very well paid and pretty well respected for the most part but it comes down to money in the long run, for the hospitals. The economy as a whole is bad and am sure that hospitals are feeling it as well, however, this is an issue of safety, not money.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:15 PM

2,066 posts, read 4,782,200 times
Ive never heard of this, interesting

Old 06-27-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Nurses in MN are very well paid and pretty well respected for the most part but it comes down to money in the long run, for the hospitals. The economy as a whole is bad and am sure that hospitals are feeling it as well, however, this is an issue of safety, not money.
Yes I agree they are very very well paid, $79,000 a year without overtime and full time benefits and matching pension is excellent and well deserved. That should be nationwide for all nurses. I wish there was a way to implement that.

Well America will be watching Minnesota July 6 to see how this strike pans out. I hope that they can be a catalyst for change in our very broken healthcare system.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:57 PM

409 posts, read 1,179,790 times
I think people need to take what the union says with a grain of salt.

Are nurses overworked? Probably. Are the current nurse to patient ratios dangerous? Probably. Should something be done about it? Probably. Is it the nurses' union's place to regulate such things? Probably not.

It seems pretty obvious to me that there is a blatant conflict of interest involved here. Regardless of whether or not nurse to patient ratios are currently unsafe, the nurses' union clearly has an interest in seeing lower ratios and thus shouldn't be having any say in such a matter. This propaganda campaign they've been launching that everyone and their mother seems to be buying into about them "working to ensure patients' safety" is crap. Working to protect patients by going on strike, in turn creating a far greater understaffing problem? Bullsh*t, they're working to ensure that hiring levels for nurses stay steady for their own job security.

How many lives were shortened by how many days or flat out lost because of the last strike? How many for the upcoming open ended strike? IF they were really concerned about patients safety, they would be lobbying for hospital oversight and patient protection legislation in St. Paul and Washington, not going on strike.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPerpKazoo View Post
I think people need to take what the union says with a grain of salt.

Are nurses overworked? Probably. Are the current nurse to patient ratios dangerous? Probably. Should something be done about it? Probably. Is it the nurses' union's place to regulate such things? Probably not.

It seems pretty obvious to me that there is a blatant conflict of interest involved here. Regardless of whether or not nurse to patient ratios are currently unsafe, the nurses' union clearly has an interest in seeing lower ratios and thus shouldn't be having any say in such a matter. This propaganda campaign they've been launching that everyone and their mother seems to be buying into about them "working to ensure patients' safety" is crap. Working to protect patients by going on strike, in turn creating a far greater understaffing problem? Bullsh*t, they're working to ensure that hiring levels for nurses stay steady for their own job security.

How many lives were shortened by how many days or flat out lost because of the last strike? How many for the upcoming open ended strike? IF they were really concerned about patients safety, they would be lobbying for hospital oversight and patient protection legislation in St. Paul and Washington, not going on strike.
Were there pts deaths as a result from last strike?? I read that last strike 12,000 nurse striked and only 2800 nurses replaced them between the 14 different hospitals. One replacement nurse said the unionized night nurses were upset knowing their replacements were coming so they hid IV pumps, syringes and other equipment to hinder the ease of the care and transition during the strike.

I also read from one of your local news sites that the nurses striking are unhappy that their pension is going to decrease, or may not getting matching like they used to, which is unfortunate but understandable in this economy. Not many hospitals match contributions anymore, $1 for $1 and they requested another raise over the next 3 years.In Miami the nurses took a mandatory 5% pay decrease due to the economy. No one striked there, but in Fla the nurses don't really have much influence or a voice.
From the MNA website they are looking to get sanctioned secured nurse patient ratios similiar to California. BUT the caveat to that is the nurses in California are striking ALL the time!!! In San Francisco a Judge last week ordered the nurses not to strike in July because they were aware of the impending strike about to take place in Minnesota. And Washington D.C. nurse are now in a prestrike mode,nothing effective yet. But this is a mess....

California has the mandated ratios and the nurses are still unhappy. One of my friends is a RN in California and she states that even though her unit may get 4:1, the acuity is higher now and and she is a RN so she has to sign and give meds for the LPNS so even though it says she has 4 pts, she really has 8 because she has to assess and push meds for the LPNs. So I don't know how this is going to be resolved....this is scary.

If I were a patient at one of the 14 hospitals I would transfer the day before the strike because you are going to get nurses from God only knows where and they will only be caring for the $$$$. Last strike I read that the nurses being brought in where paid $2200 for a 12 hour shift...that was how much of a bind the hospital was in. So this strike is going to possibly cause the hospitals to go in the red. And mind you this is an open ended unlike the strike last month. So it could go for a day or it can go for years. I doubt it will go for years. I don't see how a hospital can remain functioning without adequate nursing staff??

2800 is not even a third of 12,000 nurses...so how can this be legal to even be operating like this....I am just worried some detrimental things will happen to patients amist this crossfire between the nurses and hospital admininistration. I just pray no loss of life takes place while the nurses are making their point and administration looking the other way. This is very disconcerting to me.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:12 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,165,160 times
Fire em all and rehire. I'm sure there are plenty of nurses from around the country that would like the wages and benefits MN nurses make.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
Fire em all and rehire. I'm sure there are plenty of nurses from around the country that would like the wages and benefits MN nurses make.
That wouldn't resolve anything because you can't gurantee that you would be able to find that many nurses to replaced the ones who got fired. Not only that anytime you train someone even if its for 1 week that is expensive. But I get your rationale of thinking. I wish there was a solution to resolve this. I am surprised that after the 24hr strike the nurses were able to return back to work without any form of reprimandation. I guess with them being unionized there isn't much the hospital could have done....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul