Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 01:42 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,192,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
I am going to ignore your categories and say that Minneapolis's only real rival is St. Paul. In fact, Minneapolis and St. Paul is probably the greatest city-to-city rivalry in American history. Nowhere else do you see two cities so invariably linked and influencing one another through rivalry. One builds a cathedral, the other builds basilica to show them up. One builds Summit Avenue, another builds Park Avenue to try to show them up. That's why there is literally a counterpart to almost everything in Minneapolis in St. Paul, and vice versa. First National, or Foshay? Landmark Center, or City Hall? Ordway, or Orchestra Hall? Nicollet Mall, or Seventh Street Mall? Lafayette Bridge, or Hennepin Avenue Bridge? Boom Island, or Harriet Island? The list literally goes on and on.

Chicago is a big sports rival, Milwaukee (or really, Wisconsin) is too. Detroit can be, but the Lions are always such doormats and the Tigers are only good occasionally, so it's not a very passionate rivalry. Wisconsin is our state rival, no question, but as far as cities go? The only that inspires true, passionate emnity in Minneapolitans is St. Paul.
I don't know that Charlotte can match Minneapolis...certainly hosting the Democratic convention briefly put them in a spotlight and they have been a bit more publicized since landing a couple pro sports teams. I would say the Dallas rivalry has centered around sports was especially in play back when the North Stars hockey team moved to Dallas. With the Wild providing pro hockey again all but the most fanatic long time hockey fans are probably over the loss of the North Stars though they are missed.

I don't think the Dallas region can match the natural beauty of the Minneapolis region and I think in recent years Minneapolis probably matches Dallas for its economy and quite easily in the culture/arts area, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
I don't know that Charlotte can match Minneapolis...certainly hosting the Democratic convention briefly put them in a spotlight and they have been a bit more publicized since landing a couple pro sports teams. I would say the Dallas rivalry has centered around sports was especially in play back when the North Stars hockey team moved to Dallas. With the Wild providing pro hockey again all but the most fanatic long time hockey fans are probably over the loss of the North Stars though they are missed.

I don't think the Dallas region can match the natural beauty of the Minneapolis region and I think in recent years Minneapolis probably matches Dallas for its economy and quite easily in the culture/arts area, too.
LOL...I meant this as a reply to another person commenting on Dallas and Charlotte! I'll blame my computer!

Old 07-27-2013, 05:34 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
I've always considered the other Minneapolai to be rivals. I think the most threatening one is in Kansas but I know of at least one other in North Carolina. I think there might be one in California. I don't really care for the way they fly under the radar, riding on our reputation. What say you we all go down there and kick their assas...

Old 07-27-2013, 06:14 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,049,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I've always considered the other Minneapolai to be rivals. I think the most threatening one is in Kansas but I know of at least one other in North Carolina. I think there might be one in California. I don't really care for the way they fly under the radar, riding on our reputation. What say you we all go down there and kick their assas...
visitors

I've actually been to this one--a county (Ottawa) seat even!
They have eight restaurants now, if you count Pizza Hut.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPerpKazoo View Post
Economically, the two cities are very dependent on each other.

Neither city would have developed into anything like what they are today without the other.

I don't think people in the metro at large feel much rivalry between the two cities... You kind of have to be from Minneapolis or St. Paul to really understand.

I would say that on the national scale, Denver, Portland, and maybe Seattle are our rivals. Sometimes I feel like Phoenix likes to think of itself as our rival, but everyone knows that Phoenix is made of cardboard.
Overheated, parched cardboard this time of year!! LOL...but it is true!

Old 07-27-2013, 11:13 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times
"Rival" meaning who feels like they are "competing" with the Twin Cities? Nobody anywhere. It is here that we have people who think we are being outdone somewhere else. There is a faction of people here with some sort of inferiority complex, unable to relax and just be unique. Too bad. Seems like they are unable to value what the Twin Cities offers. They are like Parvenus in some old money suburb.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:35 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,695,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
I would say that, in the Midwest, Minneapolis’ rival cities would be Detroit and St Louis. Although, I do believe that Minneapolis is firmly seated as the number two city in the region.

I have to disagree somewhat with Boston as a rival. Although the two cities are similar by virtue of their dominance within a large sub-region (New England, Upper Midwest), Boston really is a level above Minneapolis, and is probably more accurately a rival city with Chicago. I do think Pittsburgh would be about the only city in the Northeast that might fit.

The South is a difficult one. I think Minneapolis falls slightly short of Houston, Dallas, Miami, and Atlanta; but is clearly above Charlotte or any other Southern city.

In the West; Seattle and Denver… maybe San Diego and Portland.

Sports: it’s hard to argue with Chicago. Minneapolis sports teams tend to be in the same divisions as Chicago Teams. Ever since the brewers switched leagues, the only real Minneapolis-Milwaukee rivalry in professional sports is the Vikings-Packers.

I think you’re right on for the peer cities. I think Seattle is the ultimate peer to Minneapolis. The similarities between the two are often uncanny. Denver is also a close fit.

Biggest Rival city: Chicago, although, I often get the feeling from people in Milwaukee that they consider Minneapolis to be their biggest rival.

Biggest opposite: Miami

State rivalries: Wisconsin and, to a lesser extent, Iowa

Interesting thread with a (perhaps) slight misnomer in the title. I think the OP may be after "comparable" or "similar" cities, not really "rivals". In that sense I think the post I've quoted above is the most accurate.

As the East Coaster pointed out, the midwest isn't on their radar. Nevertheless, to me and probably other folks from Minneapolis, Boston feels very akin in spirit to where we grew up. It's an educated city with cold weather and local pride. It's physically pretty and has a lot of universities and good music.

Miami is definitely the best opposite--ostentatious, flashy, sexy, overt, perhaps overstated and a bit superficial.

I think Seattle and Denver are the closest pairs, with Portland and Austin the next closest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul