Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 04:57 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times

Advertisements

I really don't see how Madison is better than the Twin Cities. I've been to both, and I vastly prefer MSP. Also, I don't see anything wrong with going to school near where you grew up.

If they want a small-town college feel, then can't they just go to Morris, St. Cloud, Mankato, Duluth, Rochester or Crookston? Why Wisconsin?

Also, I know this is a stupid question, but isn't reciprocity where out-of-state students pay in-state tuition? Why would MN do this, if we just lose many of our top students to WI? I can understand sparsely-populated states like North Dakota and Wyoming having reciprocity, but why MN? I've never heard of such a thing in Michigan (or any other state with a decent population).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 05:04 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,268,041 times
Quote:
If they want a small-town college feel, then can't they just go to Morris, St. Cloud, Mankato, Duluth, Rochester or Crookston? Why Wisconsin?
Because none of those schools are even in the same playing field as the U of M in terms of academics and athletics. Wisconsin is.

Quote:
really don't see how Madison is better than the Twin Cities. I've been to both, and I vastly prefer MSP.
As a place to live, MSP is much better. As a place to go to college though, Madison is much better.

Quote:
Also, I know this is a stupid question, but isn't reciprocity where out-of-state students pay in-state tuition? Why would MN do this, if we just lose many of our top students to WI? I can understand sparsely-populated states like North Dakota and Wyoming having reciprocity, but why MN? I've never heard of such a thing in Michigan (or any other state with a decent population).
I've always wondered this as well. Obviously I'm not complaining because I took advantage of it, but it seems like the MN-WI reciprocity agreement screws over MN. The ones with ND, SD, and Manitoba make sense as it is not likely at all for top students from the metro to head to those places. I've always thought Iowa would make better sense for MN reciprocity than Wisconsin. It gives more kids in MN a chance to go to another B10 school but the top kids from both states will largely come to the U of M while with WI the top students from both states go to UW.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:25 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
Because none of those schools are even in the same playing field as the U of M in terms of academics and athletics. Wisconsin is.
True.

Quote:
As a place to live, MSP is much better. As a place to go to college though, Madison is much better.
I know everyone's entitled to their opinion, so I respect yours. Still, I disagree. I think it would be exciting to go to college in Minneapolis - there's plenty of activities for young adults. More so than in Madison. In addition to Dinkytown, there's Uptown, Loring Park, Downtown and Cathedral Hill (St. Paul).

I actually have the opposite perspective. I'd rather go to college somewhere like Minneapolis and live in a college town. Maybe it's because I'm from Kalamazoo (I'm surprised you've heard of it, MN55).

I love the peaceful/deserted feeling of a college town in the summer when the students are gone, and then the excitement/craziness of them coming back in the fall. I also like the close knit feeling and sense of community that "townies" (locals who don't go to the school/locals who happen to be students) have.

Interestingly enough, I almost went to the U of M, but I didn't go because of the price and because it didn't have my major (aviation). While I love college towns and plan on moving to one here in Minnesota (buying a house in Northfield), I think I would have really appreciated going to the U.

Quote:
I've always wondered this as well. Obviously I'm not complaining because I took advantage of it, but it seems like the MN-WI reciprocity agreement screws over MN. The ones with ND, SD, and Manitoba make sense as it is not likely at all for top students from the metro to head to those places. I've always thought Iowa would make better sense for MN reciprocity than Wisconsin. It gives more kids in MN a chance to go to another B10 school but the top kids from both states will largely come to the U of M while with WI the top students from both states go to UW.
It really hurts Minnesota. Still, we probably pick up some of Wisconsin's top students.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:27 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Looking at which college students choose when applying and accepted to both Madison and the U doesn't mean that Madison is getting the majority of "top" students across the board; it simply means that among students who apply to both they're getting the majority. Certainly many of my high school classmates all applied to the U even if they preferred Madison. I was probably considered a "top" student, and chose not to apply to Madison, so I -- and all of those like me -- don't even count in that statistic. I don't have time to look up side-by-side comparisons (although those are also going to vary by specific college), but both Madison and the University of MN are top research universities with good reputations; neither is hurting as far as attracting top students. I'm sure many students do prefer Madison's college town atmosphere, but given the U's huge number of students (including a large number of highly qualified undergraduates), I simply don't think it's a valid concern.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:02 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,060,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
Its subjective, not objective.

Small =/= Better
Some people like smaller, and some people, like me, like bigger.
Larger cities intrigue me, just like small towns intrigue people. Though SOME small towns do indeed intrigue me, such as Brainerd. I have always been fascinated with Brainerd.
For me I would choose MSP over Madison, though Madison is a fantastic town and I loved it when I was there for 2 days, I even liked it more then Eau Claire, but I was only in each city for 2 days. I loved driving through it, it was a Friday If I remember correctly and since I was coming from Chicago, it was so nice to just drive around with very little traffic for a while, exploring the city while looking for a hotel.

Eau Claire wasn't as fun to drive around while looking for a hotel, just my opinion. Eau Claire is also smaller, which again, some people perfer and some people don't prefer.

And, exactly how many students to stay close to home while going to college? Is there a percentage or anything?
In St. Cloud there are plenty of people here that grew up in St Cloud and went to SCSU and stayed in St Cloud after they were done with college. It also seems like tons of my peers in high school are planning on going to SCSU, and I also had several teachers in school that grew up in St Cloud and went to SCSU to become a teacher and stayed in St Cloud and became a teacher here. I have met people that did leave the city for college though, so Im not saying 100% or anything close to 100% of the people stay here.

Last edited by Radical_Car; 07-01-2010 at 08:47 PM..

Old 07-02-2010, 08:51 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
I don't know if it hurts the school, but it certainly helps the city.

If you're in a college town, you leave the day after graduation. If you're moving anyway, why not move to another state? A lot of Madison grads move to Minneapolis or Chicago, and bypass Milwaukee. See this article (Does Milwaukee have enough college graduates to thrive? - JSOnline) about Milwaukee's problem attracting college graduates.

Twin Cities graduates don't have to move (because it's a viable place to start a career) and they are already integrated into the life of the Cities. Many have an apartment, a boy/girlfriend, a internship, maybe even a job.

Other examples of this are Seattle (UW's campus is in a very similar location to MPLS) and San Francisco (although Berkeley is not in the city, it's very close and on the commuter rail). These are thriving cities known for a well educated workforce.

Madison, Ann Arbor and Bloomington are great college towns with exceptional schools, but do these grads move to Milwaukee, Detroit and Indianapolis?

Old 07-02-2010, 09:22 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,705,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
Its subjective, not objective.

Small =/= Better
Some people like smaller, and some people, like me, like bigger.
Larger cities intrigue me, just like small towns intrigue people. Though SOME small towns do indeed intrigue me, such as Brainerd. I have always been fascinated with Brainerd.
For me I would choose MSP over Madison, though Madison is a fantastic town and I loved it when I was there for 2 days, I even liked it more then Eau Claire, but I was only in each city for 2 days. I loved driving through it, it was a Friday If I remember correctly and since I was coming from Chicago, it was so nice to just drive around with very little traffic for a while, exploring the city while looking for a hotel.

Eau Claire wasn't as fun to drive around while looking for a hotel, just my opinion. Eau Claire is also smaller, which again, some people perfer and some people don't prefer.

And, exactly how many students to stay close to home while going to college? Is there a percentage or anything?
In St. Cloud there are plenty of people here that grew up in St Cloud and went to SCSU and stayed in St Cloud after they were done with college. It also seems like tons of my peers in high school are planning on going to SCSU, and I also had several teachers in school that grew up in St Cloud and went to SCSU to become a teacher and stayed in St Cloud and became a teacher here. I have met people that did leave the city for college though, so Im not saying 100% or anything close to 100% of the people stay here.
I'm sure there are statistics. On SCSU's website you can find the % breakdown of where students came from based on County. I think it would read something like 25% Stearns County, 15% Sherburn County, 10% Benton, 10% Wright County, 10% Hennepin, etc. (not the real numbers but that's how it's done... I'll try to find them later for you...)

Now-a-days, in the world of ever increasing tuition costs, and the dying economy, more students are A) Choosing Community Colleges and Technical Schools for Generals B) More students are opting to live @ home while going to college (Home=mom and dad's house).

While going to SCSU, most of the people I met were from all over MN, A LOT from ND and WI, some from SD and IA... And oddly enough there were a lot from Montana...

Among the people I met from MN that were at SCSU, many from the Central MN area- Little Falls, Albany, Holdingford, Annandale, Foley, Milaca, Brainerd, etc... But Many, many, many were from 'The Cities'. It was crazy to drive down I94 toward 'the cities' on a Friday, the amount of cars with "ST CLOUD STATE UNIVERSITY" stickers heading down was remarkable.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:29 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,338,075 times
The UM's location is a detriment. But as tpk-nyc said, their location helps the city.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:48 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,268,041 times
Quote:
The UM's location is a detriment. But as tpk-nyc said, their location helps the city.
That's what I think.

Quote:
Madison, Ann Arbor and Bloomington are great college towns with exceptional schools, but do these grads move to Milwaukee, Detroit and Indianapolis?
No they all move to Chicago

Quote:
I'm from Kalamazoo (I'm surprised you've heard of it, MN55).
I heard about it reading about Derek Jeter cause he grew up there, too.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:14 PM

100 posts, read 253,434 times
One of the problems with the U of M is its tuition. In state tuition is just ridiculous for a state school. It's $11,542 for Minnesota and Wisconsin residents. Madison is $9,050 for Wisconsin residents and $10,820 for Minnesota residents. So, Madison is CHEAPER for a Minnesota resident to attend than Minnesota. Minnesota does have good out state tuition rates.

If Madison is cheaper (for Minnesota and Wisconsin residents), is regarded better academically (albeit barely), and is a better college environment, there's a reason why the best students are chosing Madison and not Minnesota.

Now, I just talked to my brother, who has a kid at a high school who had told him that almost every smart kid chose Minnesota over Wisconsin. So I do think there are still Minnesota residents chosing the U of M. That being said, I do think that Minnesota has to do something about the recp. agreement, because that is not the norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul