U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 09:40 PM

2 posts, read 1,984 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, due to some recent family troubles, I have finally started to become more serious in looking to move up to the Minneapolis area. Over the last year or so I have looked around quite a bit in the area, I like the job market, and housing (most likely a cheap studio) doesn't seem to be an issue, I'm just relatively unfamiliar with areas that are safe and suitable.

I'm a single 22 year old male, I don't drink, don't party, and my only real activity I'd ever like to do with friends would be going to the movie theater or walking around Best Buy.

I guess I'm just basically asking for recommendations for some good neighborhoods that are safe, not looking into moving into uptown Minneapolis or St. Paul.

Any and all advice is helpful.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 10:40 PM

5,988 posts, read 12,565,053 times
Check out the suburbs. Eagan, Apple Valley, West St. Paul, St. Paul Park, Hastings, Arden Hills, Shoreview, Plymouth, Minnetonka and Chaska are all nice areas near the cities. Avoid Brooklyn Center.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:09 AM

409 posts, read 1,164,615 times
Since you're looking for a small apartment but aren't interested in the city, you should probably look at some of the closer suburbs. Check out St. Louis Park, Richfield, Golden Valley, and Hopkins.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:47 AM

5,988 posts, read 12,565,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPerpKazoo View Post
Since you're looking for a small apartment but aren't interested in the city, you should probably look at some of the closer suburbs. Check out St. Louis Park, Richfield, Golden Valley, and Hopkins.
Why the closer-in suburbs? The outer suburbs have a quieter feel.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:08 AM

1. He's looking for a studio apartment. As a percentage of housing units, there are certainly more studios in inner suburbs than outer ones.

2. Job opportunities. Being more centrally located definitely gives one more job opportunities that don't require a 45+ drive.

3. Quality of life. A matter of opinion, yes, but certainly something I believe in.

4. I'm going to fundamentally disagree with your assertion that the outer suburbs have a quieter feel. Most neighborhood streets in St. Louis Park or Richfield feels a lot quieter and more like it could be in a town of 5,000 than any street in Plymouth, Minnetonka, ect. The stereotypical suburban life is a busy life. Stereotypical suburbs have traffic everywhere, streets that go around in circles, and huge housing and apartment complexes that feel a hell of a lot busier than neighborhoods of older homes and apartment complexes. I may live in Minneapolis, but I've seen my fair share of suburbs, especially Plymouth, and I would never, ever, not in a million years, describe Plymouth as quiet.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:01 PM

624 posts, read 1,308,846 times
Plymouth is definitely a quiet, sprawled suburb. Car traffic isn't what makes a city exciting.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:32 PM

11,333 posts, read 24,163,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPerpKazoo View Post
4. I'm going to fundamentally disagree with your assertion that the outer suburbs have a quieter feel. Most neighborhood streets in St. Louis Park or Richfield feels a lot quieter and more like it could be in a town of 5,000 than any street in Plymouth, Minnetonka, ect. The stereotypical suburban life is a busy life. Stereotypical suburbs have traffic everywhere, streets that go around in circles, and huge housing and apartment complexes that feel a hell of a lot busier than neighborhoods of older homes and apartment complexes. I may live in Minneapolis, but I've seen my fair share of suburbs, especially Plymouth, and I would never, ever, not in a million years, describe Plymouth as quiet.
I grew up in Minnetonka, and also lived for a few years in Eden Prairie, and both are largely residential areas with many streets which are not through streets, making for very little traffic. There aren't many apartment complexes at all in Minnetonka or in Eden Prairie, at least anywhere near where I've lived, and I'm not even sure what you mean by "housing complex"...?

My parents house is in Minnetonka on a typical cul-de-sac roadway off a secondary road. There is no through traffic, there isn't enough traffic on the nearest main road (Williston Road) to create any noise, and you can't hear noise from the highway. The whole area within 5 miles is just like that ... the only "noisy" or "busy" areas are the small retail centers around like Glen Lake or along Highway 7.

In Eden Prairie we lived in a townhome which was part of an HOA, and even though we weren't that far from Pioneer Trail, we couldn't even hear traffic from that roadway. The road was a private road whichi got very little traffic, and the most noise you would hear on any given day came from Franlo Park just to the south when people were playing soccer.

I live in a similar area in Atlanta now. Quiet ... we can't hear anything at all over the normal night sounds made by critters except maybe the occasional faint train sound from the other side of the ridge.

Maybe you've only driven through such areas? In my experience, living for over 40 years in "outer suburbs" in various cities, it's the peace and quiet and relative lack of hustle, bustle, and traffic that is one of the main appeals of such areas...

Old 07-02-2010, 01:59 PM

I realize the streets people live on themselves don't have traffic, but the overall amount of traffic encountered on a daily basis is just as much as anywhere in the city, and quite a bit less than in any city neighborhood. The fact that there is no through traffic is what makes so much traffic in suburbs. It really feels like you can't get anywhere without going on a 4-lane road with a 40 mph+ speed limit.

Just because you can't hear cars from your house doesn't mean you don't have to deal with more wide, fast, and crowded roadways than you would in a first-ring suburb.

EDIT: Am I really the only one who cares about what it's like everywhere I go in a normal day rather than just my own home?

Old 07-02-2010, 04:19 PM

5,530 posts, read 11,049,085 times
No.....the suburbs suck precisely because the streets are not cohesive, like you said.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:22 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,698,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
No.....the suburbs suck precisely because the streets are not cohesive, like you said.
Ya, plus the inner suburbs feel a lot more like a small town then Plymouth or Minnetonka does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul