Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 05:20 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I think the "Meadowlands Shopping Mall" in NJ will top it as the biggest mall in America when it opens in mid 2011.

The Meadowlands will be the largest retail and entertainment complex in the United States and the third largest in the world, with 4,500,000 square feet (418,000 m2) of entertainment, sports, retail, office, and hotel space. The project resides within the Meadowlands Sports Complex, in place of former underutilized and existing parking areas. It will be accessible via the Meadowlands Rail Line.

IT HAS AN INDOOR SKI SLOPE AND THE TALLEST FERRIS WHEEL IN THE WORLD!!

To be honest, I think it's the dumbest location ever. NNJ has the more malls in one area than anywhere else, I don't think it's going to do so well- either that or other big malls like "The Jersey Gardens" and "The Garden State Plaza" will be strongly effected. Maybe it will soon be a tourist attraction for NYC tourist, but if not that, I see an epic fail.
King of Prussia is the Largest Mall in the US , and MOA has alot of catching up to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 08:30 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I live 10 minutes by car from MOA. I shop there maybe 2x per year. I more frequently shop at Rosedale Mall, a 20 minute drive. Why? Because Rosedale is of a more traditional scale. It is so much easier to park and walk around the mall once you are in there. No way I am going to MOA to buy some underwear at Sears or a pair of pants at Macy's. When friends or relatives come to town, I'll take 'em here if they want to go, but for routine shopping, no thanks.
Yeah, I used to live on the corner of Old Shakopee and Old Cedar, just over a mile or so from the MoA, and I used to go there a few times a year. Most of the time I'd go to stores at Southtown or down to Burnsville Center.

The MoA isn't that bad if you only hit a few stores which are close together, but it is a little bit of walking if you need to wander all over the mall for stuff.

I'd mostly go for one-store trips. Go in, get what I need, get out.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:14 PM

106 posts, read 239,103 times
I thought it was built here because the first mall was in MN.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:46 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times
Probably since Edmonton and Minneapolis have some similarities (cold and more cold) and due to the success of the one in Edmonton, they chose Minneapolis, based on things in common.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:31 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,235,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx456 View Post
If there were a tax incentive
Clothing is not taxed in MN.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:49 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,063,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx456 View Post
Or even for those that say it's in a good central location then why not a place like dallas or houston texas where "everything is bigger" but still centrally located in the country.
Houston has the Galleria, 7th largest mall in the USA. No it isnt quite as big as MOA but its still plenty big. The Galleria also opened in 1970 while MoA opened in 1992, so why would Houston need another giant megamall? Dallas has the Northpark Center opened in 1965, again much smaller but still pretty big, big enough where they don't need another giant megamall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweilo845 View Post
Maybe if they enforced the no one under 16 rule all of the time, the MoA would be more appealing, as I wouldn't have to deal with throngs of a-hole teenagers "hanging out".
Oh man, I've always wondered how easy it'd be to enforce that. Unless they have an ID of some sort, how can you prove they're under 16? Also it seems like they never advertise that, it'd be nice if they had signs on entrance doors and such saying people under 16 need to be accompanied by an adult. I only found out about this rule like around 5 years ago when my cousin managed a store there and he told me about it. I also have no idea how many security gaurds they have on duty at a time and I got no clue what the average amount of shoplifting is per day and such, and stuff like preventing shoplifting is better then kicking teenagers under 16 out unless they are causing trouble. I myself wish this was enforced A LOT more so we wouldn't have to deal with annoying teenagers, but what can you do? Like I said if they dont have an ID on them you can't exactly prove they're under 16.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
Oh man, I've always wondered how easy it'd be to enforce that. Unless they have an ID of some sort, how can you prove they're under 16? Also it seems like they never advertise that, it'd be nice if they had signs on entrance doors and such saying people under 16 need to be accompanied by an adult. I only found out about this rule like around 5 years ago when my cousin managed a store there and he told me about it. I also have no idea how many security gaurds they have on duty at a time and I got no clue what the average amount of shoplifting is per day and such, and stuff like preventing shoplifting is better then kicking teenagers under 16 out unless they are causing trouble. I myself wish this was enforced A LOT more so we wouldn't have to deal with annoying teenagers, but what can you do? Like I said if they dont have an ID on them you can't exactly prove they're under 16.
MOA security doesn't need to prove that people are under 16. Malls are private property, so they can basically kick out anybody that they want. If somebody looks young and doesn't have ID, they are not allowed to enter or asked to leave if already inside. They currently place signs and a security guard at every door on Fridays and Saturdays after 4pm. Nobody is allowed in if they look young and don't have ID to prove they are over 16 unless they have a 21+ adult with them.

According to a news story on the curfew, MOA security had a 99% decrease in trespassing citations and police calls comparing the year before the curfew to the year after it.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:42 AM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,063,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
MOA security doesn't need to prove that people are under 16. Malls are private property, so they can basically kick out anybody that they want. If somebody looks young and doesn't have ID, they are not allowed to enter or asked to leave if already inside. They currently place signs and a security guard at every door on Fridays and Saturdays after 4pm. Nobody is allowed in if they look young and don't have ID to prove they are over 16 unless they have a 21+ adult with them.

According to a news story on the curfew, MOA security had a 99% decrease in trespassing citations and police calls comparing the year before the curfew to the year after it.
Well im only there like once or twice a year and I usually don't do the greatest job at paying attention so I never noticed the signs. You know thats true, malls are private property and I didn't even think about that. Does the over 16 rule apply every day whenever the mall is open or just Fridays and Saturdays after 4? I always just assumed it always applied but I was never 100% sure and thats why I wondered how they enforced it when you can just walk right in.

I remember once I would of had to been pretty young, I was walking fast way ahead of my parents when it was late and a security gaurd stopped me and asked were my parents were and I just said I was way ahead of them. They just told me to stay by them.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:59 AM

85 posts, read 216,550 times
I find the MOA quite convenient, in contrast to many of the opinions here. The way the parking structures are set up, you can often park closer than you can at other malls, and it's covered parking to boot. I went on opening day in 1992, and even on that day parking wasn't overly hard to find, and it didn't seem that crowded for the number of people there.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
Does the over 16 rule apply every day whenever the mall is open or just Fridays and Saturdays after 4? I always just assumed it always applied but I was never 100% sure and thats why I wondered how they enforced it when you can just walk right in.
It is only Fridays and Saturdays after 4pm. I wish it was 24/7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadr View Post
I find the MOA quite convenient, in contrast to many of the opinions here. The way the parking structures are set up, you can often park closer than you can at other malls, and it's covered parking to boot. I went on opening day in 1992, and even on that day parking wasn't overly hard to find, and it didn't seem that crowded for the number of people there.
I usually drive up to the 4th or 5th floor of the parking ramp and find open spots in the 1st row.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul