Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 11:48 AM

4 posts, read 5,726 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Currently we renting in Eden Prairie, which is a highly developed suburb. My husband and I work in eden prairie and we are thinking of buying a new home. We have 6 mo old daughter and will plan for another in next year. Consdering housing rates we have Maple grove, shakopee and applevalley nieghbourhoods in mind. We checked plymouth also but it seems its quite expensive than others mentioned above. Housing rates in orderof the cities mentioned. Can you please suggest us which school district is better and traffic wise which community is better?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 12:19 PM

22 posts, read 33,446 times
What price range are you looking? How long of a commute are you willing to accept?

For school ramkings, see this website. Minnesota State Elementary Schools - MN School Rankings

Shakopee will be your easiest commute followed by Apple valley...Maple Grove will be a nightmare!

Are you working with a real estate agent? If not, I'd love to assist you in finding the right home/community for you/your family.

Best of luck!

Daniel

Old 07-09-2010, 12:21 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Well, your easiest commute would be from Shakopee but I wouldn't move to Shakopee personally. There are better choices around the area. I agree that Maple Grove to Eden Prairie would not be a fun commute and Apple Valley to Eden Prairie would be marginally better. I would consider looking in either Waconia or Chaska if I worked in EP.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:21 PM

Daniel,

Thanks for the offer. We are working with a real estate agent.

I liked the maplegrove neighbourhood as it's upscale and developed and have a family friend over there. I am thinking of looking for another job depending on the city we buy a home. So, my husband is the only one who is going to face commute problem and he is ok with 30 to 35 min commute. Our budget is 300k - 350 k. I think shakopee is kind of out of our list because of school district. Do you guys think Applevalley is better than maplegrove?

Old 07-09-2010, 07:02 PM

812 posts, read 2,172,683 times
I've heard good things about Apple Valley schools but don't know many people there and mixed reviews of the Maple Grove district (Osseo schools for most I believe). You could check greatschools for specific information. I love the suburb of Maple Grove, it's a great place to raise a family - I don't know much about Apple Valley.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:32 PM

Kebinminn,
Thanks for the reply. Applevalley schools has good rankings in greatschools compared to maplegrove but I personally don't know anybody from there. We looked at maple lakes community in maple grove. Elementary is Rice lake elementary school and middle school is maple grove jr and maple grove sr.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:35 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,414,034 times
I live in Plymouth. It's nice, but very expensive (though not as expensive as Eden Prairie). I second golfgal's suggestions of Waconia and Chaska - those are great areas. Another possibility would be Buffalo - it's a somewhat small town west of Plymouth. Very nice and on a huge lake.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:07 PM

Apple Valley schools are very good, some of the best in the nation but again, the commute would not be fun.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:38 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,062,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
I live in Plymouth. It's nice, but very expensive (though not as expensive as Eden Prairie). I second golfgal's suggestions of Waconia and Chaska - those are great areas. Another possibility would be Buffalo - it's a somewhat small town west of Plymouth. Very nice and on a huge lake.
My sister lives in Buffalo, the worst thing is that its 2 lanes from Buffalo to Plymouth or whatever.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
My sister lives in Buffalo, the worst thing is that its 2 lanes from Buffalo to Plymouth or whatever.
We just got home from camping and took 55 through Buffalo to 494 and I agree, that 2 lane thing is the pits. It is really difficult to pass the guy driving 40 in a 55 . I kept waiting for a passing lane but there were none. It is a bit of a hike from Buffalo to the cities too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul