Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2007, 01:55 PM

4 posts, read 11,814 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone?

I'm a 20 something native Brooklynite about to go to grad school at the U of M. I'm pretty new to MSP so any advice on neighborhoods would be much appreciated.
Basically, I'm looking for reasonably priced apt prices (I'll be a student!) in an active diverse neighborhood (if anyone has been to Brooklyn, some place like Park Slope, Fort Greene, Boerum Hill, Prospect Heights etc would be ideal). I'm looking for a place that has a sense of community but not a sleepy area. An artsy diverse international neighborhood with good parks for running and biking would be ideal. I won't have a car so an area with good public transportation and amenities are impt. Any thoughts on Uptown vs Northeast vs Loring Park vs Whittier, etc?

Thanks so much!!!! I appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 03:12 PM

195 posts, read 1,080,112 times
Uptown wins in my opinion. Thats where I live and I love it. Can walk about everywhere, lots of places to run in the area.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:35 AM

2,507 posts, read 8,561,493 times
Uptown - Nice, good transit, convenient, walkable, pretty gentrified.
Loring Park - Trad. gay area. Close to downtown, Nice old buildings. The actual park is lovely. One of my personal favorites
Whittier - Rougher around the edges, but generally safe. Greatest restuarants in the cities, Mpls. Inst. of Arts. Nicollet bus line is easy.
Northeast - A broad area that has different parts. Alot is old SFH. Priced well, safe area. Closer to downtown is more lively. Decent transportation closer to downtown.
IMO, Anyplace except Northeast is a good option.

Old 07-14-2007, 04:29 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,761,499 times
Uptown - overhyped/overpriced right in the heart of the region...great to barhop and visit, but living there is obnoxious...think Astoria in Queens done incorrectly and slightly more irritating and you've got Uptowns number...its actually four separate neighborhoods...Carag being the most reasonably priced.

Loring Park - close to downtown, easy to get to if you dont drive. Pretty pricey overall though.

Whittier - As referenced above, a decent spot but some blocks are patchy as it edges closer to Stevens Square and Phillips. A lot of the benefits of living directly in Uptown are easily accessible from Whittier without actually living right in Uptown since they border each other.

Northeast - Great area in the "short" northeast spots (Sheridan, Logan Park)...a little too spread out the further north you travel. Marcy Holmes is hit and miss, but definetly close to the U.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:06 PM

184 posts, read 1,019,606 times
There is a thread that was active a couple months ago on the "Minnesota" board titled something like "neighborhoods with character" or similar. Search it -- it had alot of great ideas.

I've spent alot of time in NY and know what you are describing. There are several nice, "real" neighborhoods in Minneapolis and nearby villages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
View detailed profiles of: