Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 12:58 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,679,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
Even if you are just going out to the store on a Saturday morning, chances are you will need to scrape your car from ice, brush off the snow, wait for your car to warm up, etc... you will get cold. I know what everyone means by a light coat and no long underwear if they are only going out for a second, but since this person is new to MN, let's be honest with them: they WILL get cold and wet.
They won't, though, because they say they're living in Marcy-Holmes and ar walkers (and therefore won't be scraping off the car all the time); they will get cold and potentially wet, but I walk all the time in the winter and I almost never wear long underwear. If they're planning on standing around in the cold a long time that's one thing, but walking and then going into stores and they could easily get uncomfortably hot if they go overboard. Layers are good, but also be sure that they are easily removable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 06:44 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,185,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
Even if you are just going out to the store on a Saturday morning, chances are you will need to scrape your car from ice, brush off the snow, wait for your car to warm up, etc... you will get cold. I know what everyone means by a light coat and no long underwear if they are only going out for a second, but since this person is new to MN, let's be honest with them: they WILL get cold and wet.
A pair of nylon pants over your regular pants will do more for you then long underwear walking to the store. They will block the wind. Now if you are going to be out for hours on end, long underwear is important.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:54 PM

302 posts, read 725,155 times
I moved here from Sunny Southern California and I LOVE IT HERE!! I would NEVER go back to boring 2 season weather (hot and hotter)! Like you, I was a little excited for my first winter and honestly over-bought winter clothes I never really needed. If I had to do it all over again I would have purchased as I needed and only stocked up in advance on a good jacket (down/waterproof), coat (wool), warm socks, hat, gloves and good boots (I prefer something with a "grip" on the sole for icy days when I'm running errands...it's easy to slip if you're not careful). But in hindsight I didn't need the long underwear (have only worn once while skiing on a near-zero day). I didn't need the full length down coat. And I definitely didn't need the funny looking furry hat with the ear flaps (a gift from my California coworkers)....although I regifted it to a friend and he likes it.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:19 AM

23,769 posts, read 28,950,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSMCGirl View Post
I moved here from Sunny Southern California and I LOVE IT HERE!! I would NEVER go back to boring 2 season weather (hot and hotter)! Like you, I was a little excited for my first winter and honestly over-bought winter clothes I never really needed. If I had to do it all over again I would have purchased as I needed and only stocked up in advance on a good jacket (down/waterproof), coat (wool), warm socks, hat, gloves and good boots (I prefer something with a "grip" on the sole for icy days when I'm running errands...it's easy to slip if you're not careful). But in hindsight I didn't need the long underwear (have only worn once while skiing on a near-zero day). I didn't need the full length down coat. And I definitely didn't need the funny looking furry hat with the ear flaps (a gift from my California coworkers)....although I regifted it to a friend and he likes it.
I would advise against the furry hats because of the recovery and increased population of many spieces of raptors (hawks, eagles, falcons, etc.) even near the downtowns. It's not unheard of to have one of these birds of prey mistake that Eddie Bauer hat for a rabbit on your head and try to pluck it from you. If you insist on wearing one of these, stay along the edges of the buildings and dash across the streets when it's time to cross.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:07 PM

20 posts, read 37,422 times
Thank you all for the tips!! Just what we wanted to know. Btw -- loathe hot weather. Can't wait for it to cool off as this is too warm for me. I almost died in FL with 5-6 mos of 80+F....

Any shops for the baby gear or will something like Baby Gap have what we need for her?

Old 07-20-2010, 06:01 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,185,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poddy View Post
Thank you all for the tips!! Just what we wanted to know. Btw -- loathe hot weather. Can't wait for it to cool off as this is too warm for me. I almost died in FL with 5-6 mos of 80+F....

Any shops for the baby gear or will something like Baby Gap have what we need for her?
All the department stores will have what you need, including Target, etc. Gap usually has winter coats for kids, not sure about actual snowsuits-that is hit or miss depending on what they put out but finding what you need will NOT be hard.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:20 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,679,352 times
I agree; you should have no problems finding what you need as far as baby gear. If you're open to buying used, Once Upon A Child sells all sorts of baby and toddler items at good prices. Someone gave us a great snowsuit from REI. Basically, though, almost any of the places where you're currently buying your baby clothes will also sell at least some coats and hats and sometimes snowsuits.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:13 PM

22 posts, read 41,203 times
I've lived here in central Minnesota since November 2008. I'm originally from the Chicago area and have also lived in northern Virginia and Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

In the cold winter of 2008-2009 (coldest I've ever experienced), I knew I was a real Minnesotan when my idea of room temperature was just 56 degrees. The trick is to gradually lower the thermostat during the fall and the first half of the winter. As you become adapted to colder air and wear heavier clothing (like long johns and a sweater), you can handle lower temperatures. 56 degrees in January and February doesn't feel any colder than 65 in early October.

What surprised me is that the people here in Minnesota seem to be better adapted to heat than cold in winter. While sweltering indoor temperatures was the norm in other places, I expected people this far north to be better adapted to the cold. No dice. Short-sleeved shirts and T-shirts aren't just for summer. I have to wear one under my sweater, as I have to take it off. The kicker is that I come up way short in the body flesh department (6 feet tall, 145 pounds). You'd think that if I can handle 56 degrees in deep winter with long johns and a sweater, the average person would be able to handle 56 degrees with short sleeves.

Is it just me, or are buildings kept much warmer in winter nowadays than was the case in the "greedy and wasteful" 1980s? I noticed this in the mid 1990s (and this was back when my idea of room temperature in winter was 66-68 degrees). I swear, buildings weren't so sweltering when I was a kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul