Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 07:38 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times

Advertisements

Dear American men,

Please keep buying your brand name diamond rings for XXX thousands of dollars because:

A: You can afford it!
B: Everybody else is doing it!
C: The more you spend on the ring, the higher chance the relationship will be successful and the less chance the gal will turn you down!

Love,

De Beers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 07:49 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
My personal take (although this is from the perspective of a woman who has never bought a diamond), but the diamond ring industry is still way less than the wedding industry; if you want to talk about pressure to spend money on your "special day" then take a look at all those people who are trying to convince couples and their families that spending money on a wedding means a more lasting or meaningful marriage. At least with the ring you can wear it every day for the rest of your life and then pass it down. Although I suppose if a couple is really into big weddings and can afford it then a big party isn't necessarily a bad use of money, either; it's the people who spend more money than they can afford, or get sucked into paying for stuff they think they "need" that I really wonder about. Whether a ring, a wedding, or anything else, I think it all comes down to the same thing: don't buy more than you can afford, and don't get sucked into some vision of societal expectations or think that money will buy you happiness.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:54 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,705,314 times
De Beers and Hallmark should get together and have 'American Society Manipulation Parties'

Old 07-20-2010, 09:05 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
My personal take (although this is from the perspective of a woman who has never bought a diamond), but the diamond ring industry is still way less than the wedding industry; if you want to talk about pressure to spend money on your "special day" then take a look at all those people who are trying to convince couples and their families that spending money on a wedding means a more lasting or meaningful marriage. At least with the ring you can wear it every day for the rest of your life and then pass it down. Although I suppose if a couple is really into big weddings and can afford it then a big party isn't necessarily a bad use of money, either; it's the people who spend more money than they can afford, or get sucked into paying for stuff they think they "need" that I really wonder about. Whether a ring, a wedding, or anything else, I think it all comes down to the same thing: don't buy more than you can afford, and don't get sucked into some vision of societal expectations or think that money will buy you happiness.
I totally agree with this as well. The big wedding party part of our culture is just harder to pin on one company's marketing strategy like it is for wedding bands.

I have no problem with big parties in general but the amount of money people can get away with charging for alot of really silly extras at some of these wedding parties is pretty laughable.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:26 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,705,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I totally agree with this as well. The big wedding party part of our culture is just harder to pin on one company's marketing strategy like it is for wedding bands.

I have no problem with big parties in general but the amount of money people can get away with charging for alot of really silly extras at some of these wedding parties is pretty laughable.
Like the $1200 my coworker just spent on her flowers. What a joke.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:35 AM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,060,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
Like the $1200 my coworker just spent on her flowers. What a joke.
Thats disgusting

Old 07-21-2010, 05:56 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
Thats disgusting

$1200 seems pretty reasonable to me. The average cost of a weeding is a little under $20,000 (excludes honeymoon and ring). To me that is too much but that's just me. "Experts" say most spend 10% on the flowers which would be $2K on average.

Here is a breakdown.

Bride’s bouquet: $50-200
Bridesmaids’ bouquets (each): $20-50
Corsages and boutonnieres (each): $8-30
Head wreaths and floral hair pins (each): $15-40
Toss bouquet for the reception: $20-50
Church Alter Flowers (each arrangement): $50-75 or higher
Pew flowers (each): $10-40
Reception centerpieces (each arrangement): $40-150
Flower girl bouquet or petals: $20-35
Floral cake topper: $30-100

Making flowers takes a lot of labor and they all add up to that $1000-$2000 price tag. If you want to look cheap, skip on all of the traditional options.

We did our wedding economically back in the mid 80's and it cost $2K. My wife made our flowers out of silk. It took her a solid 200 hours and cost $100ish. They turned out amazing. We bought a wedding dress that was a "demo" ($500 retail for $125) had a DJ for $250, had my Sister-In-Law who is a photographer take the pictures for the price of the film, and had 150 guests at $6 a plate. Again, those are 1985 prices so multiply by 3 or 4 to get the price today. We did everything economically but we did have an open bar all night. The savings turned into a downpayment on a house.

Look at this way, what do you get for your money when you go on a nice (out of state) familiy vacation for $4000?? It too is gone and just a memory. So is a vacation a "waste"???? Not all decisions should be considered disgusting or ignorant. How smart is it for a family of 4 to go to a Vikings game?? In a couple of games with all of the fixings it's the cost of those flowers!

No. I'm not a florist and I never buy my wife flowers. I think flowers are a needed in a weeding and they all add up.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:36 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
I think $20,000 for a wedding is way over the top unless you have $20k to throw around (which most of us don't), but also figure that it's a personal choice; if someone has the money and wants to spend it that way then at least they're helping to keep the economy going and keep people employed! (there are a LOT of people out there who financially benefit from the industry) My main problem is when people think that they "have" to have a wedding that costs a certain amount, or the pressure to do it the "right" (meaning expensive) way. I don't think there's anything wrong with spending any amount of money -- even amounts I think are over the top -- on a wedding as long as you have the money. To go into debt for an extravagant wedding is a different story, and I do think those people will regret their decision. A budget wedding is just as meaningful and memorable as an expensive wedding. (and I DO have a problem with those who do work in the industry and push those buttons to make nervous couples feel like they have to buy a certain thing, or those who slap a higher price on something just because it is associated with a wedding; for many wedding couples it's the first time they're ever planning a big formal event of any kind, and then they're dealing with all sorts of other issues and concerns and pressures all at the same time, and while it might be good business to take advantage of that I don't think it's ethical)

I think in the realm of wedding expenses the Twin Cities seem to be in the middle; it's far cheaper here to do a big wedding here with all the bells and whistles than it is in most bigger cities, but obviously it's also more expensive than many of the smaller places. And again, I wouldn't do it (we had a very budget wedding ourselves), but if a couple can afford it and can afford to choose all the bells and whistles then I don't see that as a problem. I might never make that same decision, but that's their choice and it's not hurting anyone.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:18 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,060,073 times
I agree with uptown urbanist if they have the money and want to spend it then its fine, but not because they somehow got the idea that they need to spend it especially if they can't afford it.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:41 AM

138 posts, read 370,501 times
A friend of mine attended a wedding two weeks ago that was rumored to cost $200,000. (that's a house!!) I have to agree with Slig on the car thing. After several dings and rock chips on my new car... I traded it for a used one. I don't have to check it every time I get in it anymore. It came with dings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul