U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 06:33 AM

2 posts, read 9,567 times

Advertisements

We will relocate from Germany to Minneapolis (Chaska) in August. We know that we will miss the good German bread most. Any idea where we can find really good bread in Minneapolis?

Is there a German grocery store in the Twin Cities?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 12:46 AM

409 posts, read 1,163,561 times
The only authentic German place I know of is The Black Forest Inn on 26th & Nicollet in south Minneapolis. I don't know about grocery stores, though.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:25 AM

302 posts, read 676,831 times
My Mom is from Germany and I know good German bread. I grew up in L.A. and there are several German delis out there where you CAN find authentic German bread. I haven't been able to find that here (and I've looked because I love hearty, rustic bread). And not sure what kind of German bread you are looking for (since there are many kinds...rye? "Farmers" bread? Brotchen?). There USED to be a German store in the suburbs when I first moved here (German Haus??)...that had all things German, but they closed down a year or so ago.

For really good, fresh bread, there's a grocery store in Minneapolis called The Wedge that bakes many different kinds of bread daily and they are all absolutely delicious...crusty, hearty...but not traditional German bread. That's however where I go now if I want GOOD bread. Also, Whole Foods Market has yummy, hearty breads (but fewer varieties than The Wedge)

Old 07-19-2010, 07:31 AM

481 posts, read 1,729,366 times
Great Harvest Bread is pretty good, and a quick google map search brings up the French Meadow, New French Bakery and Turtle Bread Company. I havn't been to the latter 3 but they come up in conversation once in a while so they're well known. Most grocery stores will also stock artisan breads as well (usually something tough and chewy). I don't know how any of this compares to what you are used to, but starting in the 80's people started getting more interested in bread. None of these are specifically German, however.

We also have Aldi's but ... oh, well, that's probably not what you meant :-)

Old 07-19-2010, 08:02 AM

409 posts, read 1,163,561 times
Turtle Bread Co is pretty popular and very good, but I don't think it's specifically German. They do have a lot of varieties though. Not to mention their salami sandwiches, which I could probably live off of.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:00 AM

10,629 posts, read 25,170,489 times
I can't think of a specifically German place off-hand, but Rustica is well known for its bread. In addition to their standard daily options they also have rotating daily selections. They're located in Calhoun Village in Minneapolis, but I believe some of their bread is also available elsewhere now. I assume there's some sort of decent bakery closer out your direction, too. There used to be more Breadsmiths around the Twin Cities; maybe check to see if there's a location in your part of the metro area.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:17 AM

2 posts, read 9,567 times
Thanks to all Suggestion. We will check all of them out.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:14 AM

4 posts, read 15,148 times
Breadsmith has great bread. Not sure about specifically German though.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:12 PM

9 posts, read 15,742 times
A lot of the farmers markets have people selling home made breads and baked items, might be worth a try not to mention they are a good way to waste a couple hours anyway. Check out the MInnesota grown website for one close to you.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:09 AM

1 posts, read 3,157 times
Hello there, I have opened a small bakery in south minneapolis selling sourdough rye breads. I make authentic pumpernickel, jewish rye with caraway, finnish rye and multi grain sourdough, among others. I sell at the midtown farmers' market and temporarily from 3722 chicago ave south on tuesdays from 4;30 to 6:30. you may order online on sundays and mondays or just stop by. breadstarrising.com I would also be happy to work on specific breads that appeal to the german market. thanks - Margaret
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul