U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 10:43 AM

26 posts, read 220,800 times

Advertisements

So, to make a long story short, after being moved across country twice, my fiance's job finally placed us outside of Madison, WI. Being told it was basically permanent, we built a house. It took six months and we finally moved in April 1. Today we found out, they are moving us to Minneapolis!

We are heartbroken, but in this economy, we are going along with it. They are taking care of the house, but we are definitely sad to go, so expecting a lot from Minneapolis!

We currently live in a small suburb with great schools, an old downtown area, lots of new residential and some retail development. We would love to find something similar in Minneapolis.

His position is in sales, so no real commute to worry about, just decently close to Minneapolis. We would love to buy, but our budget would be around $200-$240K. We are fairly picky, we like newer areas, or at least newly remodeled. We want a place with very good schools, low crime, and lots of shopping/restaurants/etc. We are willing to rent if the housing market doesn't allow our budget.

Please help. This day has been awful and we need a glimmer of hope.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 03:48 PM

anyone? bueller?

Old 07-26-2010, 03:58 PM

44 posts, read 70,796 times
I have lived in Eagan (southern suburb - 20 mins from downtown) since 2006. It was voted 12th best place to live by Forbes and it shows. The crime rate is virtually non-existent. I very rarely hear sirens and I live just off of Yankee Doodle, the main drag so-to-speak. Eagan isn't exactly cheap but there are a ton of options. The retail market in Eagan is growing rapidly. It's easy to find anything you need. Plus, it's five minutes from the Mall of America.. if you can't find something there it simply doesn't exist. I really like it here. I don't have any kids but I have heard that the schools in Eagan are perfectly fine. Plenty of parks and the local sports scene is great. I always see Eagan Wildcats shirts around. Give the police department a call and ask them about the crime rate and they'll tell you that it isn't bad. Certain apartment complexes are a bit shady, but the area in general is fantastic. Any other questions, don't hesitate to DM me. I moved here from small-town South Dakota and have been happy a lark.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:31 PM

20,793 posts, read 58,691,566 times
Rosemount would be perfect, a good mix of old and new, close to shopping but far enough away that you don't have the issues with the high traffic, etc. The schools are EXCELLENT, rated in the top in the nation. It's a great community.

Stillwater would be another good place to look although your budget might be a little hard there. I would also look at Chaska, Waconia, Apple Valley, Eagan. Northfield might be an option depending on what "reasonably" close to Minneapolis would be. Is his office in Minneapolis or why do you need to be close to Minneapolis?

Old 07-26-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Rosemount would be perfect, a good mix of old and new, close to shopping but far enough away that you don't have the issues with the high traffic, etc. The schools are EXCELLENT, rated in the top in the nation. It's a great community.

Stillwater would be another good place to look although your budget might be a little hard there. I would also look at Chaska, Waconia, Apple Valley, Eagan. Northfield might be an option depending on what "reasonably" close to Minneapolis would be. Is his office in Minneapolis or why do you need to be close to Minneapolis?
ooo thank you for the info! He is in sales and his customers would be all over the Minneapolis area. as far as what is "reasonable", right now, he has his office outside of milwaukee and his customers outside of Madison, so we live in the middle. Days hes in the office, it's a 30 minute commute, days he goes to customers it's 45 minutes minimum. obviously since he would only have one city to worry about here, 30 or less would be great!

we don't know ALL the details yet as they just sprung this on us. We are in the mode of, do we apply somewhere else or go for it?? So far Minneapolis sounds wonderful

Old 07-26-2010, 06:41 PM

Ok, you don't want Northfield. If he was just going to Minneapolis once in a while it wouldn't be bad, but getting around the rest of the metro would be a haul.

Since he won't be driving in rush hour most of the time, pretty much anywhere will work. We can get from Rosemount to say Maple Grove (pretty much opposites in the metro) in about 35-40 minutes or so.

Technically you have Minneapolis and St. Paul but since they are right next to each other it is like they are one. If he is only on the Minneapolis side of the metro you might want to consider Maple Grove or Chaska but if he goes all over the Twin Cities, the other suggestions are fine.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:41 PM

10,629 posts, read 25,489,683 times
I might be the odd one out here, but I don't read your initial post and think Eagan or Rosemount sounds like the right fit; yes to the new construction, but are you also looking for somewhere with an old downtown area? Eagan, Apple Valley, etc., are all pretty much modern American suburbia, with lots of new houses, a few old houses mixed in, a lot of chain restaurants, and not really much in the way of historic downtown cores.

I'd check out Hopkins, or else maybe the 50th and France area on the border of Minneapolis and Edina; you're unlikely to find a new or updated place near 50th and France for your budget, but there are some great deals on rentals right now. Either the Minneapolis or the Edina side of the border would put you in excellent school territory (best in the state), with tons of restaurants ( mostly of the independent, non-chain variety, if that matters) and the main core there is a mix of historic downtown business district and new construction. St. Louis Park (which is also in that same general area, and is also known for its top schools) has a mixture of old and new, and there are at least some new or remodeled options in your price range. If renting, somewhere like Minnetonka or Wayzata would be a nice option. You could even find a great deal on a remodeled house out there (my friends got an amazing deal on their place out there), but it's generally one of the more expensive suburbs. Good schools, though.

I'm not very familiar with White Bear Lake (or, more specifically, its schools), but that could be an option on the other side of town; not sure about the schools, but they do have a nice older downtown, along with a lot of relatively affordable modern construction. It has a more working class history than the more posh environs of Minnetonka or Wayzata, but it's also more affordable.

Since he's going to be all over, though, if it was me I'd try to stick with a closer in suburb (or even the city if you can find a new home; most of the houses are older, but there are some new ones mixed in) to make life easier on the commuting front. I'd probably put St. Louis Park at the top of the list, as it has some new homes (assuming you're not looking for entire new subdivisions), top schools, easy access to some older downtown areas (50th and France, Hopkins, etc., plus some bustling commercial areas of its own), lots of restaurants, and a fairly central location.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I might be the odd one out here, but I don't read your initial post and think Eagan or Rosemount sounds like the right fit; yes to the new construction, but are you also looking for somewhere with an old downtown area? Eagan, Apple Valley, etc., are all pretty much modern American suburbia, with lots of new houses, a few old houses mixed in, a lot of chain restaurants, and not really much in the way of historic downtown cores.

I'd check out Hopkins, or else maybe the 50th and France area on the border of Minneapolis and Edina; you're unlikely to find a new or updated place near 50th and France for your budget, but there are some great deals on rentals right now. Either the Minneapolis or the Edina side of the border would put you in excellent school territory (best in the state), with tons of restaurants ( mostly of the independent, non-chain variety, if that matters) and the main core there is a mix of historic downtown business district and new construction. St. Louis Park (which is also in that same general area, and is also known for its top schools) has a mixture of old and new, and there are at least some new or remodeled options in your price range. If renting, somewhere like Minnetonka or Wayzata would be a nice option. You could even find a great deal on a remodeled house out there (my friends got an amazing deal on their place out there), but it's generally one of the more expensive suburbs. Good schools, though.

I'm not very familiar with White Bear Lake (or, more specifically, its schools), but that could be an option on the other side of town; not sure about the schools, but they do have a nice older downtown, along with a lot of relatively affordable modern construction. It has a more working class history than the more posh environs of Minnetonka or Wayzata, but it's also more affordable.

Since he's going to be all over, though, if it was me I'd try to stick with a closer in suburb (or even the city if you can find a new home; most of the houses are older, but there are some new ones mixed in) to make life easier on the commuting front. I'd probably put St. Louis Park at the top of the list, as it has some new homes (assuming you're not looking for entire new subdivisions), top schools, easy access to some older downtown areas (50th and France, Hopkins, etc., plus some bustling commercial areas of its own), lots of restaurants, and a fairly central location.
She very clearly said she likes NEWER areas. Your suggestions would also be very difficult given their budget. Also given that they live in a small suburb now, St. Louis Park would NOT be a place they would most likely enjoy with their tiny houses, tiny yards, busy, busy streets and traffic. White Bear Lake schools are no where near as good as those in surrounding communities.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:28 AM

10,629 posts, read 25,489,683 times
My reading of it was that she liked newer houses, but within areas with older downtowns. Many of the suggestions have the new, but lack the old downtown (or much of anything old, other than some houses, which she says she doesn't want). Perhaps I misread it. If she likes brand new homes in areas with predominately new construction but without an older downtown than somewhere like Apple Valley could certainly fit the bill.

They live in a small suburb now; why wouldn't they like St. Louis Park? Just because the official city boundaries are bigger? For all practical purposes all these areas run together; you can find areas that feel like smaller towns within the larger metro area, but generally looking at size alone of city boundaries isn't very useful. (and SLP isn't a huge place) I'm not suggesting they live in one of the tiny houses on a busy street; have you spent much time in SLP? I'm guessing not. Part of SLP has small houses, but it's by no means universal. And the traffic is on the major streets, much like it is in EVERY suburb. Get off the main streets and its usually very quiet. And while the really nice newer places are going to be out of their budget, there are some options out there -- like I said, my friends got a great deal on a fairly updated place in Minnetonka a couple of years ago, and prices have fallen since then. Difficult, but not necessarily impossible. Also, they're open to renting, if the right area is out of their budget.

To the OP: I'd strongly recommend renting for a year first, although I certainly understand the desire to buy. That way you'll get a chance to check out these areas for yourself and get a better sense of what you like and don't like.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:15 AM

5,530 posts, read 11,224,704 times
How about Chaska or Shakopee then? Old towns that are sprouting up as new suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul