Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 02:06 AM

30 posts, read 44,550 times

Advertisements

"OMG you actually thought he was being serious?
Wow, just wow."

as I said, I know nothing about your part of the world (minnesota). All what I know about it, is what I read here.

Wolves live in snow, right? You have lots and lots of snow there. So it makes sense to have lots of wolves there. But I did say that the police will kill them for sure if they come close to the scool

If I move there, I will be living in a high rise, very secure building, top floor, and will not open the door for any one that I do not know. Too many crazy people around these days, and I have no idea about Minnesota, which makes it more scary for me.

In California, we have many crazy people around, they hang around corner smoking weed and stuff. The other day someone on his bicyle started shooting at some people leaving 7-11 store and then ran away. Crazy things like this happen all the time here.

But at least no Wolves. But instead lots of gangs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 08:23 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
I think the OP just jumped out of an episode of The Hills.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:48 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
We also don't have poisonous snakes, deadly spiders, killer bees, tarantulas, or scorpions.
No termites in Minnesota, either.

Here in Atlanta a house has to have a Termite Bond and get inspected every year, and sometimes houses get eaten. Very bad...

Old 07-28-2010, 12:56 PM

If you had a choice between San Jose, CA and Minnesota, which would you pick?

I am thinking of San Jose, CA (Safe), but rents are so crazy expensive, and no high rise, everything old, and must pay like $1600 for tiny one bedroom apt to get something decent.

I love the high rise apartments I see around the univ of M, it looks much cleaner there. Cold is not a problem for me, as long as I live within walking distance and do not have to drive in snow, I am ok.

UM is good school also.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:32 PM

617 posts, read 1,202,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOfMovingToMinn View Post
If you had a choice between San Jose, CA and Minnesota, which would you pick?

I am thinking of San Jose, CA (Safe), but rents are so crazy expensive, and no high rise, everything old, and must pay like $1600 for tiny one bedroom apt to get something decent.

I love the high rise apartments I see around the univ of M, it looks much cleaner there. Cold is not a problem for me, as long as I live within walking distance and do not have to drive in snow, I am ok.

UM is good school also.
San Jose's still gonna have mold and roaches.

Minneapolis sounds like it would work for you best. Maybe Denver too. But stay away from Phoenix - there are scorpions!!!

Old 07-28-2010, 01:44 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arushan View Post
San Jose's still gonna have mold and roaches.

Minneapolis sounds like it would work for you best. Maybe Denver too. But stay away from Phoenix - there are scorpions!!!
Bah. Suburban Atlanta has scorpions ... you just wear boots to avoid the few that the giant flying cockroaches haven't carried away.

Maybe I shouldn't mention the fishing spider my wife and I saw while camping in Minnesota Valley State Park. We called it a "deer eating spider" for a reason!

Okay... Don't worry, ThinkingOfMovingToMinn ... Minnesota really is free from most pests, especially if you're living in the city. You'll probably encounter mosquitoes in the evenings if you're outside by water, but the most dangerous things you're likely to encounter are your neighbors.

The winter doesn't last more than a few months, but the cold weather during that time of year really does make the area unlivable for most poisonous snakes, bugs, etc. When I was growing up and actively looking for such things, the worse things we could find were a bunch of frogs and turtles in the pond, salamanders in the neighborhood window wells, and a mama garter snake in the vacant lot behind our house.

Last edited by rcsteiner; 07-28-2010 at 02:33 PM..

Old 07-28-2010, 01:50 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,161,033 times
Here is the truth ThinkingOfMovingToMinn. No one was telling it to you straight!

· In June we have super creepy ones called "June Bugs". You can hear them fly by at night as they are attracted to light. Once they are in your home, they will surround your light inside your home and never rest.
· Next up during the summer in late June is the aggressive horse flies that bite your ankles for two weeks a year and fly back to the spot they bite (after you swat them) to lick up the blood.
· Then we have a "Dragon Flies" hatch that come out and fly by your head like a helicopter!
· After that (and with a lot of rain) we have batches of mosquitoes that can have the West Niles disease. People can get very sick.
· Sometimes gnat’s (a type of blood sucking insect that flies) can swarm around your head. Maybe as bad as 200 of them at one time. Expect to eat a few of them when you breath in. You can run as fast as you can and they will follow you!
· We also have no-see um's. They are so small you onle feel their tiny bite.
· If you walk in the grass, we have wood ticks that suck your blood. But it gets worse... Some the “deer tick” variety that can give you Lyme’s Disease.
· There are large batches of moths that happen every few years that can be so bad that every single tree leaf in their path is eaten.

But there is some great news. There are no killer bees or
Locusts.

How bad are the bugs?? Sometimes you cannot see though the smears on your windshield as hundreds of bugs hit your car in a short 30 minute drive. Special chemicals need to be applied in a car wash in order to remove the THOUSANDS of bugs that are murdered on your radiator of your car.

As you might guess ThinkingOfMovingToMinn, I don’t think we are a good fit.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 07-28-2010 at 02:24 PM..

Old 07-28-2010, 02:09 PM

^^

OMG !!

IS this for real??

I am trying to decide to move to minnesota, like I have to decide today, you are making me so scared.

but I am not the kind of guy who will go out and walk on the grace in the wild and all that, I will be living on the top floor of a secure locked down modern apt. I will have everything closed shut down and secure. Will not even open a window but the AC only.

Do I still need to worry about these mosquitos coming in my apartment? This is crazy. How can they get in? I will not sit out in the balcony during summer or winter.

This is confusing, you are saying all these bad things, but others are saying you have less bugs in Minnesota?

I hate bugs and roaches and spiders and wolves. I can handle snow, as long as I do not drive, and I wont, will keep my car in the carage all winter long, and will only drive when the snow melts and the streets are all clean and nice.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:12 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,062,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOfMovingToMinn View Post
as I said, I know nothing about your part of the world (minnesota). All what I know about it, is what I read here.

Wolves live in snow, right? You have lots and lots of snow there. So it makes sense to have lots of wolves there. But I did say that the police will kill them for sure if they come close to the scool
There isn't snow year round

Old 07-28-2010, 02:12 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,487 times
Yeah and don't forget about the severe mold problems we sometimes get due to the perfect Minnesota climate. I bought bread one time and left it on my counter for a month and there was mold all over it. I would totally, like avoid this moldy place with all costs. Oh yeah and like this one time I saw a really big bug, I think it was called a butterfly. I wonder if they eat butter or attack humans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul