Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 09:02 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times

Advertisements

I would strongly disagree with flyingwriter. Rather than a few "safe spots" in the city, I'd say it's the other way around -- a few unsafe spots. Avoid those areas and you are likely to be fine. I'm not suggestig that you live in a high crime area, but realistically most of the city is not crime, particularly the areas closest to St. Louis Park. And given that you mention public transportation, I doubt that any of the suburbs listed would be of interest; not that some of them aren't okay places to live (if you're into that), but because then you'd be cutting out your chance of being able to commute by bus (or at least having that option for days when you want it), as well as taking on a longer than necessary commute. Same thing with St. Paul. Much as I like many parts of St. Paul, there's no reason to live over there just to commute all the way across town to SLP. I'd stick with SLP first, then, depending on preference and what you can find, apartments-wise, Hopkins and southwest Minneapolis (the west part of Lake Calhoun through to around Uptown would be easiest in Mpls from a bus standpoint, as there are several Uptown-SLP bus options), or if you're almost exclusively driving (and want more suburban), parts of Plymouth. All those areas have plenty of parks and trails (Uptown, Minneapolis has the lakes, too, which is a plus) and are safe. With your salary you will have no problems finding somewhere decent to rent. All depends on perspective, of course, but St. Louis Park seems pretty affordable to me, especially for a couple making $65,000 (SLP is also known for having excellent schools, too, which is a nice plus for down the road).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 09:07 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
I have to agree with fly-SLP is expensive for what you get and for a couple only making about $65K, you won't be able to buy a house there and rent is going to be $1000/month or so if you want to live in a nicer place. If you are ok with an older complex that hasn't been kept up well, you will find less expensive places.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:46 PM

I know couples making $65k who have bought houses in SLP. Many consider it to be a cheaper, yet still nice, alternative to SW Minneapolis.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:22 PM

812 posts, read 2,172,425 times
You can find a decent place to live and make it where with that salary even when you do add a child. You can't buy everything in the world but you don't need to live paycheck to paycheck either.

Hopkins, St Louis Park, Golden Valley, and Robbinsdale are all right along highway 100 to go into SLP. If you're closer to the other side of it New Hope is also a very nice family town.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:36 PM

Great suggestions by Kebinminn. Golden Valley has a number of nice rentals and affordable homes, as well as easy access to lots of nature (and Wirth Park). Still, I think you'll be able to find what you want in SLP, but no need to artificially limit your search to there only, either. SLP itself, as well as its adjacent suburbs and Minneapolis (the parts next to SLP) are all safe, offer decent housing that, while maybe won't seem extremely cheap, will definitely be doable on that salary, and have lots of parks, trails, etc. I'd rent first, though, and take your time getting to know the metro area before buying.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:57 PM

37 posts, read 169,728 times
Thank you all for your suggestions..

Flywriter we just cannot live in Atlanta for another year. We have too many smog alerts (days where you can't go outside) Our doctor has recommended for the last 3 years we move to a colder cleaner air city. We are constantly sick all year round. I cannot put up with another 75 at the end of December. BLAH! HATE Atlanta! Not to mention the miserable rude, mean, dangerous people here.

From the collective suggestions i've gotten I've realized something. Sounds like people do live further out than the city and are ok with commuting. If that's the case we would like to live further away from the city as long as it's much more affordable and safe. We are not really "City" people either way. Nor do we need frills and thrills of amenities. Honestly we are just quiet, honest private people looking to make friends and a new home. Though we live in a expensive "nice" area in Atlanta, I am always uneasy and loose a lot of sleep over the crime here. Serial rapists at least twice a year down the road (like I said we live in an expensive very nice area). Crime might be on the rise there but here in Atlanta.. whao it's crazy. The police here are mostly dirty cops. Either way.. Just really unhappy here and refuse to have a child in this place. Actually that's why we've put off having a child.

We don't know if he got the job yet. They said they think he is a good match and they will be in touch with in a few weeks.. I'm hoping he gets it .. My big concern is what if they only offer 50- or 55,000.00? Can we live off of it? As far as buying a home.. I don't know when we will be able to do that. Now away you have to put at least 20% down on a home. We dont have any of that. We are still just starting out. I will have to pick a new field of work and go back to school in Minneapolis. I have done some research and have found that your school systems are really great and offer many options from kids to adults. What a wonderful thing to experience. Going to school here was a big mistake. Any thoughts on if the salary offer in 50- or 55.. should we abandon ship and just stay in Atlanta? We are anxious to hear if we got the job or not. I will post as soon as we find out!

Old 07-31-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhawkes View Post
Thank you all for your suggestions..

Flywriter we just cannot live in Atlanta for another year. We have too many smog alerts (days where you can't go outside) Our doctor has recommended for the last 3 years we move to a colder cleaner air city. We are constantly sick all year round. I cannot put up with another 75 at the end of December. BLAH! HATE Atlanta! Not to mention the miserable rude, mean, dangerous people here.

From the collective suggestions i've gotten I've realized something. Sounds like people do live further out than the city and are ok with commuting. If that's the case we would like to live further away from the city as long as it's much more affordable and safe. We are not really "City" people either way. Nor do we need frills and thrills of amenities. Honestly we are just quiet, honest private people looking to make friends and a new home. Though we live in a expensive "nice" area in Atlanta, I am always uneasy and loose a lot of sleep over the crime here. Serial rapists at least twice a year down the road (like I said we live in an expensive very nice area). Crime might be on the rise there but here in Atlanta.. whao it's crazy. The police here are mostly dirty cops. Either way.. Just really unhappy here and refuse to have a child in this place. Actually that's why we've put off having a child.

We don't know if he got the job yet. They said they think he is a good match and they will be in touch with in a few weeks.. I'm hoping he gets it .. My big concern is what if they only offer 50- or 55,000.00? Can we live off of it? As far as buying a home.. I don't know when we will be able to do that. Now away you have to put at least 20% down on a home. We dont have any of that. We are still just starting out. I will have to pick a new field of work and go back to school in Minneapolis. I have done some research and have found that your school systems are really great and offer many options from kids to adults. What a wonderful thing to experience. Going to school here was a big mistake. Any thoughts on if the salary offer in 50- or 55.. should we abandon ship and just stay in Atlanta? We are anxious to hear if we got the job or not. I will post as soon as we find out!
I know people complain about traffic on this board but the traffic here is NOTHING compared to other major metro areas. You can easily find a place farther out that is affordable and contrary to the city people on this boards beliefs, there is good bus service for commuting if you want to go that route. My friends that take the express bus from Apple Valley say it takes them 40 minutes from their front door to their desk in downtown Minneapolis (Target headquarters) for one example. You will be able to find a nice apartment or townhome to rent in a quite neighborhood with lots of families and basically no crime. Even making 50-55K you will be ok, especially since it doesn't sound like you are the type to eat out a lot or need a lot of toys.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:17 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
Honestly, given your criteria I would suggest Northfield, St. Peter, Annandale or Henderson. All are nice, small towns about 45 minutes to an hour from St. Louis Park. If you don't mind the commute, those areas are the best. I love St. Peter. It's a town of about 10,000 people, and it has a really good, academically-inclined college, Gustavus Adolphus. The commute on 169 to SLP wouldn't be bad, about 50 minutes.

Atlanta SUCKS!!! Yes, the crime there is insane, as is the smog. I remember flying in there about five years ago from my home in Michigan. As the plane was on approach, I could see an ugly brown band of smog camped out over the city. My parents live northeast of Atlanta now (they're not FROM there originally), and they love it for some reason. They've been trying to convince me to move down there, but I'd rather be hit by a bus. I hope you guys get the job and get out of Atlanta.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:47 PM

Delano and Waconia would be good choices as well.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:09 PM

812 posts, read 2,172,425 times
What kind of commute is acceptable? Remember a commute in the summer is a lot different than a commute during the winter.

You can live in a safe neighborhood and make it on that salary. Now if your health runs $1000 a month as opposed to $400 that would obviously make a difference but it is manageable if your debt is under control.

I would not count on an easy commute via bus to St Louis Park, it's not tough to commute downtown but suburb to suburb is a pain. I live in a near suburb and have been looking for jobs and when a job is in the suburbs it is a long bus ride. because you have to go downtown to connect to a bus going to your suburb. Not always but that often seems to be the case.

I would still recommend New Hope. It's a quiet suburb with lots of parks and families. Certainly rent for the first year to get a sense of where you'd like to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul