Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 08:02 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times

Advertisements

I agree with Kebinminn's comments. Commuting by public transportation is easy to downtown Minneapolis from pretty much everywhere; commuting to SLP from another suburb is a totally different story. Depending on where you're living there are buses that run from downtown Minneapolis through Uptown and then out through SLP towards Hopkins (and therefore also the other way); there may also be some buses that easily link SLP and places like Golden Valley, but you'd want to check the schedule on that one. If you live and work on a bus line it would be easy enough, but you won't want to make, say, an Apple Valley to St. Louis Park commute by bus.

Most people don't choose hour long commutes. Some do, but why would you do so? Northfield and other similar towns (St. Peter, etc.) are very nice, but they're a long, long way away from SLP. I'd keep the commute time down, especially if you're thinking of having a family. More time in the car just means more time away from your loved ones, so why take on a long commute unless you have to? You'll want to check out the areas for yourself, but SLP has a lot of options itself, otherwise I think the suggestions of New Hope and Golden Valley are good, and maybe out towards Plymouth/Medicine Lake area. Those are all pretty quiet, safe, lots of nature and nice parks, lots of families, have some affordable options, and are relatively close to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 08:35 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
People take hour-long commutes because they don't want to deal with the hustle and bustle of living in a major metro area. Some people hate commutes, but other people are just fine with them. There are thousands of people who make long commutes work. Most small towns would die if people weren't willing to commute.

If you don't like the city/suburbs, then don't live there. Why plan your entire life around work? It's not worth it.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:27 PM

429 posts, read 1,148,179 times
Welcome to Minnesota!

There are lots of nice areas around St. Louis Park. And I wouldn't worry too much about the weather. I came from California many years ago, and I was a bit nervous about how I'd get by in winter, but Minnesotans have been dealing with the cold for hundreds of years, and they're very good at it! Most days, the snow will have been removed from the streets and highways before you're fully awake in the morning. Sidewalks will be salted and every place you go is heated.

I'd recommend looking south and/or west since congestion and crime tend to increase as you get closer to the heart of Minneapolis, not by much, but like most big cities, it's a bit rougher than the suburbs.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:14 PM

37 posts, read 169,728 times
Yea I agree.. I don't want to be so far out that commuting will end up being to long specifically in the winter. I think 20-25 minutes is tops.

So from what I've read so far.. The people of Minnesota are friendly, and life long friends once you get to know them and they warm up. Here's my question.. what's the trick to breaking through the shell. We are not church going people.. so what's the best way to meet people? I think it's really hard especially when you don't have kids. We are both out going and very friendly.

1.How is the food up there? Down south it is BLAND and gross. Any good steak places, or Chinese restaurants?
2.How would you guys rate Minnesota as far as being Dog friendly?
3.Are the lakes there clean for people to swim in during the summer.
4. What is the big winter festival there? What can a couple with no kids do there?
5. Is there a clothing tax? Here the tax is between 8-9%
Thanks!

Old 07-31-2010, 11:12 PM

812 posts, read 2,172,425 times
1.How is the food up there? Down south it is BLAND and gross. Any good steak places, or Chinese restaurants? Lots of good restaurants, check out urbanspoon for reviews. There's a lot of excellent local places and if there's a chain place you love that's probably here too.
2.How would you guys rate Minnesota as far as being Dog friendly? There seems to be more off leash parks, otherwise dogs are expected to be leashed however I see a lot of people walking around with them, people here love their dogs. Apartments may be a bit more complicated but unless you own what's considered a dangerous breed that shouldn't bee too hard to overcome.
3.Are the lakes there clean for people to swim in during the summer. People do swim in several lakes in the summer. People do a lot, sometimes lakes are closed if there's too much bacteria.
4. What is the big winter festival there? What can a couple with no kids do there? St Paul Winter Carnival, it varies in size from year to year.
5. Is there a clothing tax? Here the tax is between 8-9% No clothing tax...yet. It wouldn't surprise me if that changes soon though.

Friends seem to be hit or miss, frankly it has been frustrating. The best way is through work. If you do have a baby and stay home you can join Moms Club. Otherwise it depends on your personality. I know a man who can make friends everywhere he goes, he's really outgoing. If you're introverted it's harder, made even more difficult that Minnesotans in general are more reserved. In a way it's easier without kids because it seems like once people have kids life gets a lot busier.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:37 PM

Well, I hope we make good friends there. It was really tough here.. I hope people are helpful there. One more question I forgot to ask. What is the weather like in Setpember and October.. ?Is it cold? If so how cold? Here in Atlanta it is still 75-80+ F. I miss the cold crisp fall air I used to get in Upstate NY.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:36 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhawkes View Post
Hi all! My husband and I are waiting to hear back from a job in St. louis park (minneapolis), MN if he gets the job we will be moving there within 3-4 weeks. I wanted to ask around and see if people can help us about by letting us know if we will be able to survive off one 1 salary of 65000.00 a year. It's just my husband and I and our dog. We don't have any kids yet but are planning on having a kid probably after a year of living there. We would need a 2 bedroom apartment. His job would be in St. Louis park, Minneapolis. I know from what i've heard there are cheaper parts to livve in however i know how bad the winters can be with ice and snow and i'm not sure we want to live so far off that i would be worried about my husband getting to work. Do most people live far off from that area and commute? Or is the public transportation available from suggested areas to live in? We currently live in Atlanta, GA. Also, will it be difficult to find a place to live since we have a large dog? Also can anyone tell me what there energy bill monthly from winter would be? Thanks in advance to all the replies, and help!
We did the opposite move (from the Twin Cities metro to the Atlanta metro) back in 2004, so I think it'll be an interesting and hopefully positive move for you. There are many differences between the two cities, and each has its own advantages and shortcomings.

The Twin Cities are more expensive housing-wise than the Atlanta metro ... before the real estate crash, I would say houses up there were roughly 30% more expensive than down here. However, you do get more for your money in some ways (construction standards are higher and more strictly enforced in the Twin Cities).

The Twin Cities also doesn't have anything like MARTA yet, though the light rail Hiawatha Line from central Minneapolis to the Mall of America in the south central suburbs is a good start. However, the metro is a lot less fragmented than the Atlanta metro, and MTC services a fairly large area with bus service.

Commuting generally isn't an issue in the Twin Cities ... yes, it has traffic, but unlike Atlanta there aren't as many areas with only a single 4-or-more-lane highway providing access. I-94 going northwest from the metro is an exception, but there aren't many others.

Roads are cleared very quickly up there. Unlike most areas around Atlanta, the Twin Cities gets snow and ice every winter, so they have the equipment necessary to keep roads clear and icy ramps and roads sanded and salted. Winter storms are usually a nonissue unless something extraordinary happens, much like Atlanta, but the magnitude is very different.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:40 AM

Quote:
As far as neighborhoods.. are only major concern is safety and can we afford it. I would love a place where I can excersise perhaps by a park? Thanks for all the info! Can you tell me about the people? We have lived in Atlanta for the past 5 years and have really hated it. Not our cup of tea. People are really rude, very unhelpful just mean, and very status oriented. We wanted to make a move so we can start a family and make good wholesome friends. We will not miss this place at all!
One statistic that I've seen quoted that I personally believe to be true: the worse ZIP code in the Twin Cities is safer, crimewise, than the best ZIP code in the Atlanta metro. Much of the Twin Cities is quite sheltered. We found the Atlanta metro to be civilized, but found some aspects of the crime here to be a bit of a shock. My wife actually knows a coworker who had their apartment cleaned out one day, and we know others who have been victims of crime. That wasn't the case up there. I didn't know anyone who had been hit by a robbery, vandalism, etc. Of course, almost everyone I know up there lives in Edina, Minnetonka, Eden Prairie, west Bloomington, etc.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:41 AM

rcsteiner It's amazing what you can find on here. Thank you SO much! It's always great when you have someone who has lived in both cities. How long have you been in Atlanta, and do you miss home (minnesota?) I'd love to hear more about the differences and what you like and don't like! Thanks

Old 08-01-2010, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Thank you all for your suggestions..

Flywriter we just cannot live in Atlanta for another year. We have too many smog alerts (days where you can't go outside) Our doctor has recommended for the last 3 years we move to a colder cleaner air city. We are constantly sick all year round. I cannot put up with another 75 at the end of December. BLAH! HATE Atlanta! Not to mention the miserable rude, mean, dangerous people here.
Where in the Atlanta metro do you live? I don't like the fact that we've seen 95+ degree temps for weeks this summer and our home's windows have all been foggy on the outside due to the humidity, but our area is generally safe (we're in the south-eastern part of Cobb maybe four miles from 285).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul