Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 08:29 PM

2 posts, read 5,154 times

Advertisements

Greetings to all you Locals !
How far is Minnetonka from Minneapolis. How's the public transportation in Minnetonka, and what are some nice areas to rent apts in Minnetonka? I can find info on Minneapolis but not much in Minnetonka.
Any information on public transportation --can one live without a car for couple of months? Are shopping and residential areas in close distance ?? Any info on the "city" of Minnetonka would be much appreciated.
thanks in advance,
acmilan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 08:50 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,037,975 times
They got plenty of shopping in Minnetonka and the Ridgedale Mall. Minnetonka to Minneapolis isn't that far depending on traffic.

This video he goes right through Minnetonka to get to Minneapolis and he passes the ridgedale mall as well.

YouTube - I-394 into Minneapolis

Old 08-02-2010, 09:15 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,629,167 times
Minnetonka has plenty of shopping and you should be able to get everything you need, but it's not really a city geared for those living without a car. Will you be working there ? If so, check to see if there are any bus routes going near your work, and keep those in mind as you look for housing. Things might be easier with a bike, too. Depending on where exactly you'll be spending your day it may (or may not) be easier to live along a bus line in another city, maybe Hopkins or somewhere. In any case, it's going to vary on your location. You'll have an easier time living without driving in some areas than you will in others, but again, I'd start by looking at your work (or school, or whatever else is bringing you to Minnetonka specifically) and then go from there.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:43 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,832,504 times
Minnetonka is a great area, but it is not very walkable and you usually need to drive or ride a bike just to get to the major bus stops. With that being said, there are many express buses to Minneapolis or the University of Minnesota that leave from the various Minnetonka park and rides. The apartments near the Ridgedale mall are very nice, but they are also pretty pricey. I am not sure what your price range is, but Minnetonka is a very large area and there is a variety of housing. We used to live on the far eastern side of Minnetonka that borders St. Louis Park and our rental price was actually more than our current mortgage payment. Of course we have alot of stuff and we wanted at least 2 bedrooms with 2 bathrooms so we knew we were going to pay more also. If you are looking to live in the suburbs, Minnetonka is great and the bus service is very good compared to many other suburban areas.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:55 PM

58 posts, read 149,704 times
I work in Minnetonka and I don't know anyone taking public trans to or from work. I like Minnetonka compared to most burbs as many of the neighborhoods are very wooded and unique compared to other areas around there.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:18 PM

56 posts, read 243,887 times
I know there are few apartment complexes on greenbrier road, minnetonka. Just outside the apartment you can board a bus to downtown. Across the street you have aldi for groceries, holiday and amaco gas station, dominos pizza, a bike shop, gym, restaturants everything. So if you dont have a car then this must be a good place.Woodlands of Minnetonka apartment

Old 08-03-2010, 08:05 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,037,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberPlate View Post
I know there are few apartment complexes on greenbrier road, minnetonka. Just outside the apartment you can board a bus to downtown. Across the street you have aldi for groceries, holiday and amaco gas station, dominos pizza, a bike shop, gym, restaturants everything. So if you dont have a car then this must be a good place.Woodlands of Minnetonka apartment
That is a great area and is probably one of the best if you don't have a car.

I just looked up Woodlands of Minnetonka and they are kind of pricey, depending on your budget and where your coming from. If you're coming from a place like Mankato or St. Cloud then those prices will look ridiculous in comparison, but if you're coming from like Los Angeles or Manhattan it will seem cheap.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:40 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,077,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberPlate View Post
Yes-- right by the High School, there are a few apartment complexes and town house developments.

I would be wary of insinuating that that's a transportation friendly area just because a bus stops there, though. I would be more inclined to advise somebody who is trying to use public transit to get downtown to live near one of the park and rides along wayzata blvd., where the express buses run. For instance, there are townhomes near plymouth ave. near ridgedale center, and a transit center right there, too...

Old 08-04-2010, 02:26 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,214,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Yes-- right by the High School, there are a few apartment complexes and town house developments.

I would be wary of insinuating that that's a transportation friendly area just because a bus stops there, though. I would be more inclined to advise somebody who is trying to use public transit to get downtown to live near one of the park and rides along wayzata blvd., where the express buses run. For instance, there are townhomes near plymouth ave. near ridgedale center, and a transit center right there, too...
The Plymouth Road Transit Center looked like it was demolished when I drove past it recently. I don't know if Metro Transit is replacing it or if they have just moved everything down to the newer Parking Ramp/Transit Center at Hopkins Crossroads.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:25 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,077,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
The Plymouth Road Transit Center looked like it was demolished when I drove past it recently. I don't know if Metro Transit is replacing it or if they have just moved everything down to the newer Parking Ramp/Transit Center at Hopkins Crossroads.
Really? Interesting...

Well, Hopkins XRoads and Plymouth aren't too far apart, so maybe it didn't make sense to Metro Transit to have both?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul