Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 11:13 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Take the southbound exit on Cedar Ave from 494 and look to your right...
I lived relatively close to that area for over 10 years (just southwest of the Old Shakopee Road exit). What are you seeing? I don't remember that area being bad at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 03:55 AM

5 posts, read 12,866 times
Thanks for all your help and info..
We will most probably be renting a house or townhouse (for now) in either the Edina/Richfield area or the Savage/Burnsville area.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:50 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,656,542 times
It changes from block to block, season to season. I'm moving into the Jordan area (that's Near North Minneapolis for all you ex-urbanites) and there's still plenty of poverty, unemployment, and scary-looking dudes in beat up cars. But there's also a major league effort by the City to reclaim that area, and make it the beautiful neighborhood it was a hundred years ago. Going lot by lot, you see all sorts of green spaces and homes in various states of rehabilitation - and some are really nice, they wouldn't look out of place in Southwest Mpls. I'd guess, in 10 years or so, that area is going to be very desirable, and no longer one of those "places to avoid" that it has been the last 30 years or so.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:51 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,874,502 times
money talks.....once people invest there you'll see a flock of others investing there as well, then it's yuppy fun for everyone! JK, money talks though, and it can/will change ANY neighborhood.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:04 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,903,689 times
I really like Richfield. It's in the "first tier" of suburbs, so you can get to the city quickly. It does have some areas that could be considered "less than ideal", but I lived there for two years and never felt threatened (at all). It's close to major roads, so it's easy to get around. And it's affordable. The high school seems ok (I mean, I've known quite a few graduates from there who seem to be able to read and write).
All-in-all, it has a good mix of suburban and urban life. Not bad.
I wouldn't live in Eagan because it's too "sprawly". Edina is nice, but overpriced. I really enjoy the MPLS lakes areas (also not cheap). In fact, there's not much of South MPLS I don't like (there are some less-than-desireable areas of course, but it is a big city after all).
I would avoid Burnsville and Savage, just because they're WAY out there (IMO) and a bit quiet for my tastes.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:29 PM

I just drive around Columbia Heights and I kind of liked it! It has older housing stock and seems perfect for starter families, plus there are many restaurants and small retail along Hwy. 65 (Central Ave) that gives the area a lot of hustle and bustle. The only drawback is that I'm aware it has some crime issues, but damn, I couldn't tell just by passing through -- looks diverse and hopping for an older suburb!

Old 03-25-2011, 06:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,963 times
northstar22:
You need a clue; "parts of South St. Paul"? It is a town 3 miles wide by 5 miles long with long history of of developing leaders with a great work ethic. No other town can claim three governors. Stassen, LeVander, Pawlenty. All strata of people. Come and visit some time.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:47 AM

TIM Pawlenty? I hope not!

Old 03-26-2011, 10:40 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedoody View Post
northstar22:
You need a clue; "parts of South St. Paul"? It is a town 3 miles wide by 5 miles long with long history of of developing leaders with a great work ethic. No other town can claim three governors. Stassen, LeVander, Pawlenty. All strata of people. Come and visit some time.
Obviously you are a fan of SSP but it is not as nice as you are saying, having lived there for a few years there are much, much, much better places to raise a family in the metro area. SSP makes my very short list of places not to raise kids. It's a good option for a young single person or a young married couple buying their first home though.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:41 AM

1,935 posts, read 5,831,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedoody View Post
northstar22:
South St. Paul- that's where the sometimes southern accent comes from! Not sure that being T-Paw's hometown would be a source of pride for most folks, and the "great work ethic" is pretty debatable....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul