Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2010, 11:34 AM

55 posts, read 162,744 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a recent graduate considering a move to the Minneapolis area. I would like to apply to the graduate program at UM for Art History or Information Studies. Does anyone know how selective the graduate school generally is? Are you more likely to get accepted as a Minnesota resident or is it based almost entirely on your academic record, etc? I cannot seem to find any accurate statistics on the web and would like to know the perception of residents of the Twin Cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 12:14 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,920 times
I will talk to some colleagues in the graduate school about this and see what information I can get about this program.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:58 PM

55 posts, read 162,744 times
Thank you! It seems they actually do not offer a graduate degree in Information Studies, although I thought I had previously noted that they did.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:10 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
Many of the grad students are not from MN. Art History is pretty competitive, and is based on academics. Do you have a specific potential advisor in mind? I'd contact them directly to see what the department's specific requirements are, keeping in mind that minimum requirements are just that -- minimum. Are you thinking PhD? I'm not sure if Art History accepts people at just the MA level; they might, but I'm assuming that there will be little, if any, funding available for the terminal master's students. There are some great Art History professors, but it's stronger in some fields more than others (again, all that comes back to your advisor, and whether or not there's someone on the faculty who specializes in your area of interest.)

Old 08-04-2010, 01:23 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,920 times
Ok I just found out that the MA in art history is very competitive and the Ph.D. is extremely competitive. For the MA you need at least one very good publication and some experience in this area. For the Ph.D. program you will be competing against many applicants from all over the world and due to the proximity to local art museums and facilities it is a very coveted program. This is one of those majors that works very well with the bigger city. Oh and you are not more likely to get in as a Minnesota resident, especially in art history since they are often looking for someone with national/international experience. I also second what Uptown Urbanist was saying, graduate school is more about your fit with faculty interests than the specific name of the school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul