Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 10:09 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't mind if Minneapolis occupied a little bit more space and ate up some of these smaller inner-ring suburbs. If this was ever done, which would be the first suburb to get eaten up and why? Or if you are highly opposed to this, I'd like to know why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 10:56 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,660,374 times
St. Anthony and Richfield. They just seem to fit into Minneapolis. Dont ask me why, they just do (:

Old 08-10-2010, 11:02 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,858,573 times
Hennepin county should just be considered Minneapolis, I lived in Louisville, KY for a while and this is what they did there. It made the "city" of Louisville one of the biggest in the country, although it was weird looking at a sign 20-30 miles from the city saying Welcome to Louisville.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:09 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,707,540 times
Well, for annexation it would have to be a city that's adjacent to Minneapolis (border). Also, the city would have to be in enough financial trouble to want to be apart of Minneapolis. Annexation and incorporation all boils down to feasibility of public services and their provision. If Town A is collecting taxes that easily cover the costs they spend on Police, Fire, Water, Sewer, Utilities, Clean-up, Maintenance, Street Quality, etc...

Cities that border MPLS:
Fridley
Golden Valley
St. Louis Park
Robbinsdale
Richfield
Edina
Brookyln Center
St. Anthony
St. Paul (of course)
Columbia Heights
Lauderdale
Roseville

I think the best option would be a city like Columbia Heights and Lauderdale. Both are urban, one is a large city - CH and one is a tiny enclave of a town - Lauderdale. Why hasn't Lauderdale been annexed? IDK, but it wouldn't add much land or population to MPLS. CH would add a nice chunk of land and people...

I just don't see Edina, Richfield, or Bloomington annexing.

Roseville, Fridley, hardly border MPLS.

St. Louis Park almost seems like a neighborhood of MPLS, so that might work.
Same with Robbinsdale.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:09 PM

256 posts, read 586,203 times
I don't know which, if any, would be interested, but some would be better fits than others. Richfield would fit nicely, there isn't much difference between Richfield and the southern part of Minneapolis. Columbia Heights would also fit well. But I doubt that it would be sufficiently beneficial to get anyone to go for it.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:15 PM

335 posts, read 676,121 times
richfield, edina, columbia heights, st. anthony, lauderdale

Old 08-10-2010, 12:18 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
Cities that border MPLS:
Fridley
Golden Valley
St. Louis Park
Robbinsdale
Richfield
Edina
Brookyln Center
St. Anthony
St. Paul (of course)
Columbia Heights
Lauderdale
Roseville
Yeah, I was going to set it up as a poll with all the first-ring suburbs but somehow it got screwed up. The liklihood of some of the first ring suburbs becoming part of Minneapolis though is basically nill. Edina, for instance, would probably never become part of Minneapolis even if it was somehow beneficial to do so.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:21 PM

812 posts, read 2,173,155 times
Hilltop should be annexed by someone but otherwise we're all good. I'd hate to see Robbinsdale become part of Mpls. I like the small town feel here. All of the city sports are at a few local parks, I see the mayor here and there, there's a real sense of community here and I think we'd lose that. I can't think of any positives to becoming part of Minneapolis.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:07 PM

301 posts, read 403,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I wouldn't mind if Minneapolis occupied a little bit more space and ate up some of these smaller inner-ring suburbs. If this was ever done, which would be the first suburb to get eaten up and why? Or if you are highly opposed to this, I'd like to know why.
Saint Louis Park.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:14 PM

66 posts, read 248,909 times
If Minneapolis annexed its 1st ring suburbs, the 2nd rings suburbs would become 1st ring. Then they would have to be annexed too. Soon Minneapolis could be as big as Omaha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul