Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who are you planning on voting for?
Tom Emmer [R] 25 49.02%
Tom Horner [i] 3 5.88%
Mark Dayton [DFL] 21 41.18%
Other 0 0%
Not voting 2 3.92%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 06:51 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDubb View Post
I will vote for the candidate that will work at safeguarding our freedoms and giving our businesses the best chance to thrive so we get more job creation.

I will vote for the person who does not use class warfare to buy votes nor pit one group of Minnesotans against another group.

I will vote for the person who is most in touch with the lives of the average Minnesotan (work hard, pay taxes on income earned, had experience at living pay check to pay check).

I will vote for the person who believes your personal dreams, hard work and skill should determine what you do and how much you make, not giving that right over to politicians and bureaucrats.

Guess who I will vote for?
None of thee above?

Last edited by ozzie679; 08-13-2010 at 07:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 09:42 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
None of thee above?
Exactly.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:45 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,369 times
Default Latest Polling

What I believe to be the first post-primary poll is out, a Rasmussen Reports poll of likely voters conducted Thursday, August 12.

Mark Dayton - 45%
Tom Emmer - 36%
Tom Horner - 10%
Undecided - 10%

This is just a snapshot in time, of course. There are some interesting crosstabs as well.

Toplines - Minnesota Governor - August 12, 2010 - Rasmussen Reports™

Old 08-14-2010, 07:47 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,369 times
Default Some Things to Remember

This morning I was considering Minnesota gubernatorial elections of the past and how they are reminders of a few useful things to keep in mind.

First, things happen. A campaign is a minefield and, frankly, I think it's amazing candidates don't make more missteps than they do. Look at 2006, when Hatch called a reporter a "Republican wh*re" and his running mate didn't know what E-85 was - both of these occurring in the final week before the election. Combined, they may well have cost Hatch the election. An endless variety of such pitfalls await unwary candidates. Sometimes, just not making a gaffe is the key to winning.

Second, this is Minnesota. Weird things happen here. 1998. Need I really say any more? How about 1990. Halfway through October, Jon Grunseth is well on his way to knocking off the incumbent Governor Rudy Perpich. 22 days later, Grunseth had withdrawn in scandal and the GOP replacement had won the election!

Third, third-party candidates who can make a strong showing (running at least into the high single digits) make campaigns exponentially more dynamic and complex. And we have such a candidate this time. Horner will probably surge at some point. How much will he surge, and will it happen at just the right time? Beats me...

I certainly think that Dayton is the favorite. But I also think there's plenty of time for a lot to happen to change that. Which makes races, particularly gubernatorial races in this state, rather interesting political theater!

Old 08-14-2010, 12:04 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,920 times
Horner in my honest opinion is really not a viable third part candidate. I would just call him a Republican in disguise.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:25 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by track2514 View Post
Horner in my honest opinion is really not a viable third part candidate. I would just call him a Republican in disguise.
I haven't heard him speak. But I'd like to learn mor about him. From looking at his informational website, I'd agree. He seems to belong in the conservative branch of the GOP. I didn't see any innovative ideas.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:16 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,762,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDubb View Post
I will vote for the candidate that will work at safeguarding our freedoms and giving our businesses the best chance to thrive so we get more job creation.

I will vote for the person who does not use class warfare to buy votes nor pit one group of Minnesotans against another group.

I will vote for the person who is most in touch with the lives of the average Minnesotan (work hard, pay taxes on income earned, had experience at living pay check to pay check).

I will vote for the person who believes your personal dreams, hard work and skill should determine what you do and how much you make, not giving that right over to politicians and bureaucrats.

Guess who I will vote for?
Cant be Emmer, given the last two points and his desire to slash server wages.

Old 08-14-2010, 03:35 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times
I hope this thread's poll isn't what most Minnesotans are thinking. I know message boards lean Republican, so probably not. Emmer would be a disaster for our state, especially in this economy.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:51 AM

1,080 posts, read 2,269,357 times
Quote:
Minnesota tends to win with moderate Republicans....not some far right Tea Party supporting nutjob.
Haha, not if you live in Anoka county.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:52 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,163,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
I hope this thread's poll isn't what most Minnesotans are thinking. I know message boards lean Republican, so probably not. Emmer would be a disaster for our state, especially in this economy.
It depends on your perspective and if you like Big Government.

I think that the government is inefficient and they waste money in about everything that they touch. When politics come into the decision process, you can bet that the wrong decisions will be made more often than not. When it comes to government decisions, the lobbyist and money influence most of the decisions that have been made. God only knows that businesses don’t get it perfect but I’d rather have businesses run nearly every aspect of what the government does today. It would cost a fraction of the price that we are paying right now. Yes. We need inefficient regulation in some industries so long as these regulators don’t get corrupted like they are in the FDA, FCC, Mineral Management etc. By the way, how is the government doing on their regulation management ethics??

Emmer is all about letting the private sector take over which is more efficient and cutting and combining necessary government tasks. He might believe that the world is 3000 years old, ultra-prolife, anti-illegal immigration or whatever label has been placed on him. I don’t care what people think of him if he cuts the government one way or another. In my view, you need a push to make government smaller and cut out the OBVIOUS waste versus taxing people more money. But I don't hear many Dem's talk about the waste. You cannot see waste with rose color glasses.

So you can call him a Kook, nut job, tea-bagger, uncompassionate, or whatever you want. I’m voting for him because we need someone who understands that personal responsibility is needed. Businesses have cut and slashed their budgets and we have become more efficient. That might have meant that someone lost their job. I get that. Consumers demand lower prices or they go elsewhere. It's not the evil business owner.

Did you notice that your service level and quality has barely changed with the thousands of items that you use with the private sector?? It’s because on average, they know how to get it done.

Try this experiment. Takeout some tax dollars out of the University of MN’s budgets and see if they make the right cuts. The Administrators will prove to you that you made a mistake by cutting “the quality of education” versus cutting the unnecessary overhead. Never mind that we have given them more than inflation budget increase forever. They just want more and more.

So if smaller government causes you to leave the state (Emmer being voted in) I support your decision to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul