Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2007, 08:56 PM

1 posts, read 4,619 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I realize you get people practically daily asking the same questions, but I currently work for Qwest and soon i will be moving to the office in Minneapolis. I am from Salt Lake City (no I'm not mormon ), and I have a young family and am looking for a quiet nice area to live in. Our price range is about 190k-230k for a house, we'd like a decent sized lot (1/4-1/3 acre) and at least 2000sq ft (preferably more). Location is more important to me than anything, so on that note what are some nice cities/areas to live in and to raise a family in? I appreciate your help, I am completely lost when trying to search for houses online because I just don't know any decent areas to look in. Also any good house hunting websites would be great too! Thank you everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 05:10 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
Unfortunatly in your price range you won't find anything in close proximity to Minneapolis. Housing is pretty expensive here. Where exactly are you going to be working--many places say they are in Minneapolis and are actually in Maple Grove, for example, and that could make a big difference for where you want to look.

Old 06-26-2007, 05:48 AM

Location: Lakeville, MN - 4th nicest place in the nation to raise a family
285 posts, read 1,178,439 times
I've actually seen some decent stuff in that price range -

You'll be set if you have some fixer-upper skills too. Tell me where you'll be working and I'll crank out a listing sheet for ya.

Robert

Old 06-28-2007, 09:27 AM

35 posts, read 144,143 times
You might take a look at St. Louis Park, Hopkins or Golden Valley if you don't mind a house that will need updating and bit of work. You're selection will be pretty limited though. Fridley and Coon Rapids are pretty close to Minneapolis and you'd have a much bigger selection of houses that match your criteria in your price range. You might also be able to find what you're looking for in Bloomington, which is just south of Minneapolis. Depending on what you're used to, you might also want to consider Brooklyn Park or Brooklyn Center, both of which border Minneapolis to the north, as you'll be able to find some real bargains there. The parts of Brooklyn Park and Brooklyn Center that border North Minneapolis are rough around the edges and have given both suburbs a bit of an undeserved bad reputation, but if you can look beyond that, you might just find what you're looking for.

Good luck and welcome to the Twin Cities!

Old 12-27-2009, 08:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,895 times
Wondering which city do you like better, Salt Lake or Minneapolis

Old 01-07-2010, 10:25 PM

160 posts, read 454,566 times
If you like to be 30 miles out of downtown Minneapolis Elk River is a wonderful city with 16,000 people....if you like to be in the middle of all the hub-bub and traffic move closer to downtown, you can be in traffic every moring and every night

As you can see, I don't like the cities at all....but I'm a country girl. Northern Minnesota is beautiful, but the money (for a job) is near the twin cities.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:55 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,418,080 times
Housing in Minneapolis is more expensive than in the Salt Lake Valley. I would suggest you look to the Eastern Suburbs or Southern Suburbs. You will definitely have to sacrafice on the land unless you plan to live in the country.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:57 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,268,285 times
White Bear Lake?

Old 01-09-2010, 02:30 PM

60 posts, read 140,255 times
I agree with above that if you do not need to live to close to the cities or dont mind driving check out Elk River!! Large lots and acres if you want and pretty reasonable housing. Otherwise maybe Champlin, Coon Rapids, Andover. Enjoy.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:53 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,575,213 times
The OP posted 2.5 years ago. I assume he has already relocated. Would be interesting to see where he chose and how he likes it by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul