Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 04:17 PM

22 posts, read 65,815 times

Advertisements

I have found the Twin Cities to be among the most tolerant and supportive areas for the GLBT community that I have encountered, and I have lived in a LOT of places. I guess I would consider the Twin Cities in the same category as Seattle, Chicago, NY, and SF in terms of GLBT tolerance. I am not gay, and actually look very traditional in terms of lifestyle: married, two kids, live in Edina. But I believe that the GLBT community is one of the Twin Cities' greatest assets, along with the arts/theater community, the college student population, and the energy of young professionals who aren't as stressed and neurotic as in NY/Chicago/D.C. I assume you are now in Reston. I lived in the D.C. area for a short time, too. Much, much nicer here in the Twin Cities. I liked the easy train rides to NYC and Philly from D.C., but apart from that...no thanks. People in D.C. always seemed so stressed. Although, I will say I found a really great Indian take-out joint in D.C. that I really miss, too. Also, I think about 1/3 of the people I work with are gay or lesbian, and the rest don't think twice about it. I think most people here value the diversity. If you like Pittsburgh, I bet you'll love it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 06:25 AM

216 posts, read 475,384 times
Default lived in uptown for 25 years

I'm not gay, but for an active person, you'll love the lakes and the Uptown Y
and the local parks. Uptown is the only place I would live in if I moved back there, but I never will (winters, uggghhhh)

Old 09-17-2010, 01:21 PM

9 posts, read 22,090 times
As a gay man, I'd say you will not regret a move to Minneapolis. We have a very large gay population here and people are very tolerant and supportive. Probably half of my closest friends are straight guys. There is also no real "gay ghetto" here. Mostly because you can live in whatever part of town you like. Although more gay people are living in Minneapolis and St. Paul proper, rather than in the suburbs. Your best bets for fun neighborhoods will be Downtown/Loring Park, Uptown and Northeast in Minneapolis, or Lowertown, Crocus Hill and Highland Park in St. Paul. St. Paul is quite a bit slower paced, but Lowertown has really been undergoing a change recently and the nightlife is picking up. I personally live in Northeast Mpls. and love the proximity to downtown and public transportation. Between the bus, my bike and my scooter I get around just fine and rarely drive my car. There are tons of unique and local bars, restaurants and stores in the area. Kind of what Uptown used to be before all the chain stores and yuppies started taking over. But Uptown is still a great area and has a little more urban feel since it is more densely populated than other parts of the city.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:22 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,386,383 times
aren't the Twin Cities pretty much the gay capital of the Midwest? I mean, it really doesn't get much more progressive/left wing than the TC. Even more so than a place like Chicago, from what I understand.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:01 PM

22 posts, read 65,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
aren't the Twin Cities pretty much the gay capital of the Midwest? I mean, it really doesn't get much more progressive/left wing than the TC. Even more so than a place like Chicago, from what I understand.
Yep. And even us straights love it that way.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:35 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,386,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr D View Post
Yep. And even us straights love it that way.
I love the TC. I will never leave, except for maybe Duluth. In an ideal world I would have a place in both places - one in Duluth overlooking the lake and one probably just outside of the Eastside in Maplewood.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:39 AM

9 posts, read 22,090 times
Our pride organization claims that only San Francisco and New York have bigger pride festivals than Minneapolis. I believe it too. I have been to Chicago's pride and wasn't too impressed, especially considering the population of Chicago's metro to ours.

Old 09-26-2010, 06:02 PM

94 posts, read 224,322 times
[quote=RestonRunner86;15657579]

1.) Could anyone give me a good quality-of-life comparison between Pittsburgh and Minneapolis/St. Paul?

I'm curious as to why you have focused on these two cities specifically. I've lived in Chicago, San Francisco, Minneapolis, and Portland--there were different reasons for each choice. Good luck with your plans.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:18 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,188,951 times
RestonRunner:

How has your search been going regarding a possible move to Mpls. in a few years? You stated you've already done much research...still interested or have you pursued other cities?

I'm thinking of moving to Mpls. (Born in St. Paul but left at age 6), so I'm interested in your outsider perspective.

Not sure if you're now living in Pittsburgh or still in Reston.

Keep the forum members posted on your decision...

I read somewhere that the TC has the 3rd highest gay population per capita in America. And I read in a post here that families headed by two lesbians may be the highest in the country?

Seems that the good education in Minnesota schools breeds open minds accepting of gays..

Old 11-10-2010, 04:45 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but there are any number of Gay people who are not friendly to other Gay people.

How many times have you been to a Gay bar, and there you stood alone the whole time, no one wants to talk to you? And if you're older, you strike up a conversation with someone younger, they may extricate some ice from their drink and shove it into your front pocket or step on your toes, to teach you a lesson!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul