Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 07:59 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heart2jam View Post
You should talk dumpy, every where I look I see dumpy, thighs. fat fat fat,,, lay off the fair people
Not as many up here as down there:
Fattest States 2010: CalorieLab's Annual Obesity Map - State Obesity Rankings

Minnesota is the 31st fattest state. Texas climbs to 13th (from 14th last year).

For whatever reason, Southern states dominate the top of the list.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:40 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
Healthier does not mean more physically attractive. It can, but doesn't always equate.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:04 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,163 times
No, it was not "rude and inapropriate." Texas IS the capital punishment capital of the world.

Old 09-04-2010, 02:46 PM

19 posts, read 41,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
No, it was not "rude and inapropriate." Texas IS the capital punishment capital of the world.
We are proud of that too, you people love to drink and drive because there are no consequences to it. We will put you in jail because that is where you belong when you put other in danger. We are raise with better morals and we are not money hungry either. Minnesota could learn a thing or two from being more like the wholesome people I grew up around. Small town yes, but the people would give you the shirt off their back t help you. I have been broken down on the side of the road one time with two small kids in the car in the middle f the winter, no one in this self centered state stopped to see if I needed help. I have seen worse but this is the one that is personal. All I did was make an observation, if it was wrong or mean I cant help that I find it to be true. I agreed with someone else about the weather and all. If you want to talk down a place you should at least go and live there first. After two years here I have found that the girls here for the most part not all of them. Care for nothing but what kind of car or clothing a person wears, or what can my parents buy for me. I am an independent 26 year old who has in my opinion has more ground to stand on than any of you to say, you people are shallow and could really learn from having everything taken from you like the people in Texas. The hard times have been going on for them for years while this state has always taken more... just something to think about greedy.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:14 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,163 times
Quote:
We are proud of that too, you people love to drink and drive because there are no consequences to it. We will put you in jail because that is where you belong when you put other in danger. We are raise with better morals and we are not money hungry either. Minnesota could learn a thing or two from being more like the wholesome people I grew up around. Small town yes, but the people would give you the shirt off their back t help you. I have been broken down on the side of the road one time with two small kids in the car in the middle f the winter, no one in this self centered state stopped to see if I needed help. I have seen worse but this is the one that is personal. All I did was make an observation, if it was wrong or mean I cant help that I find it to be true. I agreed with someone else about the weather and all. If you want to talk down a place you should at least go and live there first. After two years here I have found that the girls here for the most part not all of them. Care for nothing but what kind of car or clothing a person wears, or what can my parents buy for me. I am an independent 26 year old who has in my opinion has more ground to stand on than any of you to say, you people are shallow and could really learn from having everything taken from you like the people in Texas. The hard times have been going on for them for years while this state has always taken more... just something to think about greedy.
In the interest of not having the thread closed (although it may be anyway) I will not respond in the fashion I would like to to your pretty naive post.

BTW, I would NEVER want to live in a border state. I have friends in Arizona and it's a mess.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:18 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
Quote:
I have the completely opposite perspective. People here are tolerant, respect the ideas and opinions of others - while being informed enough to form their own ideas. As for materialistic - absolutely not as a cultural mindset - there may be pockets, but no way. And finally - cold and selfish and unwilling to help - go to New York City or Miami and then you will rave about how kind and thoughtful people here are. Its unfortunate that your experience has been skewed.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:51 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
Heart2jam, I think you are making the mistake of comparing apples to oranges. It sounds like you lived in a small town in TX, and maybe a big suburb now? There's a big difference. I've found people in MN to be very friendly and willing to help those in need. And I'm not sure where these girls are that care only about your car or money, but those types of people exist everywhere (and certainly they do in Texas, too; my friend worked with plenty of people there who were very concerned, for example, about what sorority one was from); it might just be that you're looking in the wrong place. In any case, there are materialistic people everywhere and there are mean people everywhere, but I think MN has less of that than many places. Not that people don't show their wealth in other ways, but overall the general Minnesotan culture generally tends to look down on people who are too flashy and who focus on money. I think that, as StilltheSame suggests, you've just had some bad experiences and it has skewed your overall opinion.

I do agree that people drink and drive too much in MN without strong enough consequences. I don't think that's a MN specific problem, although I don't know how it compares to other states. (TX actually tops the list of alcohol-related driving fatalities, for example, although that's not the per capita number) I think that's a national problem with some variation by state and even county.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:23 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,399,446 times
Quote:
We are proud of that too, you people love to drink and drive because there are no consequences to it. We will put you in jail because that is where you belong when you put other in danger. We are raise with better morals and we are not money hungry either. Minnesota could learn a thing or two from being more like the wholesome people I grew up around.
Now now, don't need to act more righteous than Minnesotans. Not everyone grew up with the kind of neighbor you grew up with. Keep that in mind.

Quote:
Small town yes, but the people would give you the shirt off their back t help you. I have been broken down on the side of the road one time with two small kids in the car in the middle f the winter, no one in this self centered state stopped to see if I needed help. I have seen worse but this is the one that is personal.
I can quite agree with you, only on this part, because I recall only one time in life that a guy pulled over to help my mom and I in the winter time.

Quote:
All I did was make an observation, if it was wrong or mean I cant help that I find it to be true. I agreed with someone else about the weather and all. If you want to talk down a place you should at least go and live there first. After two years here I have found that the girls here for the most part not all of them. Care for nothing but what kind of car or clothing a person wears, or what can my parents buy for me.
I think you'll likely to find these kind of girls everywhere.

Quote:
I am an independent 26 year old who has in my opinion has more ground to stand on than any of you to say, you people are shallow and could really learn from having everything taken from you like the people in Texas. The hard times have been going on for them for years while this state has always taken more... just something to think about greedy.
Well, I am glad to know that you are an independent 26 year old person that has strong opinion about Minnesotans but calling people shallow was unnecessary. Everyone is shallow. You'll bound to meet nice, mean, open minded, closed minded, shallow, bigot, whatever kind of people.

Last edited by ho hey!; 09-04-2010 at 04:32 PM..

Old 09-04-2010, 06:32 PM

19 posts, read 41,870 times
Texas has a larger population than most states makes since there are more of all these things don't you think? I am sure not many of you have even been so I will not defend something you wont understand. I love this state you are all getting me wrong. I just think that you could all get some good from being a little open minded about other things, as far as people in this state looking down on people who flash their money around, that is a joke. Corporate people don't pay taxes in this state, yet I struggle because I pay so much? What is up with that? This state has a lot of good ideas and a lot of money to do them yet we want to do what with it? I think that if we would all think of the little guy first then everyone would have the same fair advantage in life. Why is it I sat on the side of the road and was pointed at and laughed at as me and my kids sat there freezing? I will tell you, everyone else day was more important. I have stopped and helped plenty of people in this state with car trouble. It made me feel good to see tat person okay. I would have felt awful about myself if I would have drove past, or worse pointed and laughed. I also did say not all the people here are the same way, just the majority. And I lived in Houston and found nicer people there than most of the people here. HOUSTON!!

Old 09-04-2010, 08:20 PM

72 posts, read 158,085 times
Quote:
And I lived in Houston and found nicer people there than most of the people here. HOUSTON!!
How do you describe a Southern Belle, if not selfish and fake? Lifted trucks, and large wheels are not materialistic based purchases? I'm from Hattiesburg MS and all your views of Minnesota, are directly reflected in Mississippi. This is one of the many reasons I will be coming to the mid-west.

Sounds like you may not be used to city living, I grew up in Orlando and I wouldn't stop for anyone that I didn't know their last name, it's not safe for me to stop for you. Regardless of family or other company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul