U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 09:05 AM

5 posts, read 13,867 times

Advertisements

I am in my mid 30's and I move here, feel very lonely. The Twin Cities is total family type. Everywhere you go, you have to have family. I feel very lonely here, like I don't belong. Almost want to move to a place better for singles. Anyone here like me? How do you feel about it? Are there places better than others where you feel better about this?

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 09:12 AM

8,211 posts, read 13,673,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isjkk1 View Post
I am in my mid 30's and I move here, feel very lonely. The Twin Cities is total family type. Everywhere you go, you have to have family. I feel very lonely here, like I don't belong. Almost want to move to a place better for singles. Anyone here like me? How do you feel about it? Are there places better than others where you feel better about this?

Thanks
Yeah, overall I'd probably agree with you. What part of the Twin Cities are you living in right now? If you're staying in this area for a while you may want to consider moving into an area that is less family oriented and more young professional oriented.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:13 AM

I in Roseville area (surrounding). It is not comfortable...thank you for the help.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:37 AM

8,211 posts, read 13,673,404 times
From my experiences most of the suburbs are typically more family oriented. I'm in my late 20's and we don't have kids yet. Of course personal preferences vary, but I personally get bored hanging out in the suburbs. You ever consider moving into Minneapolis or St. Paul or at least hanging out there more often? There is more going on in the city and you're probably more likely to meet new people in areas like Uptown, Downtown, Dinkytown and the college areas of St. Paul. Joining groups and clubs helps alot too. I play in co-ed soccer in city leagues and meet alot of people that way. Others meet new people by joining churches.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:57 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,291,349 times
I first planned to write a nasty note to the OP, telling him to get off his hiney and meet people. But isjkk1 is new to this country, so I have to reconsider.

When you're lonely and hunger for human contact, the best thing to do is go to where people are that you might feel comfortable with. In addition to all the clubs, bars, restaurants and other entertainment venues that attract the general public, there are several social clubs and restaurants along Nicollet Ave and Lake Street catering to young African men, maybe you already know some of them. But from what I've seen, women don't hang in those places, they probably find other places to socialize, like a church or mosque. If you don't mind the religion, church makes for a safe, family approved, and supportive environment to meet others.

Also consider attending a community college or learning center; when I went to Metro State University a few years back I met people from all over, that all are working to better their lives through education.

Good luck connecting with like minded people here.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:23 AM

1,602 posts, read 2,966,743 times
I'd suggest determining what your interests are and finding an appropriate club or group. There are all kinds of skiing, biking, hiking, beer/wine, dining, and book clubs which have a lot of unattached adults as members. Look in City Pages or other local publications to find out what clubs or activities are going on. Or enroll in a community ed class.

I agree though that you're more likely to find unattached adults in the city than the suburbs.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:49 AM

1,669 posts, read 5,768,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
I'd suggest determining what your interests are and finding an appropriate club or group. There are all kinds of skiing, biking, hiking, beer/wine, dining, and book clubs which have a lot of unattached adults as members. Look in City Pages or other local publications to find out what clubs or activities are going on. Or enroll in a community ed class.

I agree though that you're more likely to find unattached adults in the city than the suburbs.
meetup dot com is another good place to look for groups with similar interests.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:18 AM

4,308 posts, read 12,269,212 times
Attending a class, joining a club, taking up some kind of sport - all these are very good suggestions. I know how you feel by the way. It took me a at least a couple of years before I started to make close friends in the area. You just have to persevere. Good luck!

Old 09-10-2010, 01:01 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,291,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
meetup dot com is another good place to look for groups with similar interests.
Seconded. I belong to the Minneapolis Speculative Fiction Writers workshop, one of the groups under the meetup.com banner. If you're a sci-fi geek you might enjoy meeting some of these people.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
I first planned to write a nasty note to the OP, telling him to get off his hiney and meet people. But isjkk1 is new to this country, so I have to reconsider.

When you're lonely and hunger for human contact, the best thing to do is go to where people are that you might feel comfortable with. In addition to all the clubs, bars, restaurants and other entertainment venues that attract the general public, there are several social clubs and restaurants along Nicollet Ave and Lake Street catering to young African men, maybe you already know some of them. But from what I've seen, women don't hang in those places, they probably find other places to socialize, like a church or mosque. If you don't mind the religion, church makes for a safe, family approved, and supportive environment to meet others.

Also consider attending a community college or learning center; when I went to Metro State University a few years back I met people from all over, that all are working to better their lives through education.

Good luck connecting with like minded people here.
No not new to USA, but feel so alone and lonely. Do you live nearby? Please PM me woudl like to talk more with you. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or