Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 03:05 PM

239 posts, read 895,257 times

Advertisements

One thing I always liked about the Twin Cities in the past was the German and Scandinavian Culture. Historically most people in the suburban areas of the Twin Cities traced their background to Northern Europe especially places like Sweden, Norway and Germany. That created a unique culture and way of life in the greater Twin Cities area just like the Irish has done to Boston and Italian to areas of New York City.

Now so many people in the Twin Cities are so excited about the increasing multiculturalism in the area and the death of the typical historical Minnesota culture. As the Twin Cities gets more diverse and less and less people connect to the old fashioned Minnesota ideals and culture, the Twin Cities is becoming the same as every other American City with a balkanized population each divided into their own group. What a shame!

Last edited by The Outcast; 09-15-2010 at 03:16 PM..

Old 09-15-2010, 03:29 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,880,875 times
There are groups that specialize in your white-only, Scandanavian heritage elitisms, usually known as "white supremicists". You may fit in very well.

Minnesota has already taken too long to catch up to the rest of the country in terms of becoming more multicultural. There is nothing wrong with taking pride in your traditions and heritage, and they should be celebrated, but to exclude other members of society because they don't have the same traditions as you isn't in Minnesota's future anymore. Some of those Scandanavian and German characteristics annoy the hell out of me -- like passive-aggressiveness, shyness, intravertedness, and terrible food -- so I like when I am exposed to other cultures. I am not Scandanavian, so maybe that's why I don't care for the culture, but Minnesota has enough Scandanavian and German heritage to make it unique amongst the US for quite some time, so I wouldn't worry.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:36 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
There are groups that specialize in your white-only, Scandanavian heritage elitisms, usually known as "white supremicists". You may fit in very well.

Minnesota has already taken too long to catch up to the rest of the country in terms of becoming more multicultural. There is nothing wrong with taking pride in your traditions and heritage, and they should be celebrated, but to exclude other members of society because they don't have the same traditions as you isn't in Minnesota's future anymore. Some of those Scandanavian and German characteristics annoy the hell out of me -- like passive-aggressiveness, shyness, intravertedness, and terrible food -- so I like when I am exposed to other cultures. I am not Scandanavian, so maybe that's why I don't care for the culture, but Minnesota has enough Scandanavian and German heritage to make it unique amongst the US for quite some time, so I wouldn't worry.
I am all for being proud of one's heritage. I am also for inclusion as well. I look at it like this: Love of heritage without hatred of anyone else.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
One thing I always liked about the Twin Cities in the past was the German and Scandinavian Culture. Historically most people in the suburban areas of the Twin Cities traced their background to Northern Europe especially places like Sweden, Norway and Germany. That created a unique culture and way of life in the greater Twin Cities area just like the Irish has done to Boston and Italian to areas of New York City.

Now so many people in the Twin Cities are so excited about the increasing multiculturalism in the area and the death of the typical historical Minnesota culture. As the Twin Cities gets more diverse and less and less people connect to the old fashioned Minnesota ideals and culture, the Twin Cities is becoming the same as every other American City with a balkanized population each divided into their own group. What a shame!
If you don't like the idea of anyone of a difference race or ethnicity moving into Minnesota, then this is my message to you: This is America. If a person wants to live in Minnesota, you cannot stop that person from doing so. If a person is a citizen of this nation or at least here legally, then that person has a right to live in Minnesota as much as you do. That person has as much a right to live anywhere else in the USA. I prefer to keep it that way.

BTW, I am African-American and have relatives in Mpls.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:26 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,880,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I am all for being proud of one's heritage. I am also for inclusion as well. I look at it like this: Love of heritage without hatred of anyone else.
I like that concept!

Anyone who wants to live in Minnesota (and esp. Minnesota) is probably going to have a lot of personality, gusto and heritage anyways because it's a state that isn't easy on people. So anyone who willingly wants to live here is welcome IMO!

Old 09-15-2010, 04:37 PM

172 posts, read 785,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post

Yep, just like they did with the Native Americans.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:10 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,235,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post

BTW, I am African-American and have relatives in Mpls.
When did you move to the United States from Africa?

Old 09-15-2010, 05:18 PM

47 posts, read 108,749 times
If people want to move in on their own, that is one thing. when the government is involved in intentionally bringing people in to change the culture that already exists because those in power "think" they know best, then that is where the line is drawn for me. Too many of our elected officials are into social engineering instead of representing the people they are supposed to be watching out for.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
When did you move to the United States from Africa?
I thought the term applied to Black people whose ancestors were shipped here from Africa about 300 years ago.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:06 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
Minneapolis (and St. Paul) still feels very different than other American cities. It's just that now in addition to having strong Scandinavian roots, we also now have a large SE Asian and East African population, too. I think that makes things interesting and gives the city a distinctive flavor that is different than other place. You can still buy lefse at the grocery store, but now you can buy a lot of other things, too. That's the American way, and is, I think, part of the definition of "American culture."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul