Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 04:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,279 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving from Scottsdale, AZ to Minneapolis this summer and have a son going into 2nd and a daughter going into 4th. We are looking at the Edina, Orono, Wayzata and Minneapolis public schools. We have heard great things about the first three and mixed feedback about the Minneapolis schools. Edina seems to be solid with respect to what we have read. Wayzata is as well, but we are concerned about the large graduating class size in high school. What attracts us to Orono is the small graduating class. I played sports in high school and was the captain of my team, but I don't see my kids being that competitive. They are both extremely good students and decent athletes, but I don't see them getting much playing time at a school like Wayzata or Edina. We are in a small private school now in AZ and we are thinking that a smaller school environment may be better. Our other concern is being "too far out" if we live in Orono. We love the neighborhoods of SW Minneapolis and the proximity to restaurants, yoga, shopping, etc.

Are the Orono schools a good choice?
Is living in Orono "too far out"?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 03:13 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,232,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojomexicangrill View Post
My wife and I are moving from Scottsdale, AZ to Minneapolis this summer and have a son going into 2nd and a daughter going into 4th. We are looking at the Edina, Orono, Wayzata and Minneapolis public schools. We have heard great things about the first three and mixed feedback about the Minneapolis schools. Edina seems to be solid with respect to what we have read. Wayzata is as well, but we are concerned about the large graduating class size in high school. What attracts us to Orono is the small graduating class. I played sports in high school and was the captain of my team, but I don't see my kids being that competitive. They are both extremely good students and decent athletes, but I don't see them getting much playing time at a school like Wayzata or Edina. We are in a small private school now in AZ and we are thinking that a smaller school environment may be better. Our other concern is being "too far out" if we live in Orono. We love the neighborhoods of SW Minneapolis and the proximity to restaurants, yoga, shopping, etc.

Are the Orono schools a good choice?
Is living in Orono "too far out"?

Thanks
I think Orono schools would be a good choice.

"Too far out" is really a matter of personal preference. I think of the area as "just far enough out". Being near Lake Minnetonka is a big plus for me too.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:49 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,722,396 times
Orono is WAY out there. But, as noted, that's a matter of perspective. The times we go out that direction (from SW Minneapolis) it feels like it takes FOREVER. Of course if you have a job out that direction and don't spend a lot of time in Minneapolis itself, or just don't mind driving, then I suppose it's not a big deal. Lots of people live there and don't blink an eye over the distance. And of course there are still yoga options and restaurants near Orono, so you can certainly meet all your daily needs in the general area.

I think the "vibe", for lack of a better word, is much different, however, versus an option like SW Minneapolis; I've met many people in SW Minneapolis who either grew up in Orono or Wayzata or who lived there previously as adults, got tired of it or didn't want raise children there, and moved to SW Minneapolis. On the other hand, I'm sure in Orono you find people who moved there from SW, so again, it all comes down to where you personally feel comfortable.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:54 AM

29 posts, read 62,358 times
uptown_urbanist: Could you describe the vibe in Orono a bit more? I think I get how uptown and SW MPLS is. But Orono is kind of this strange amalgamation to me: some of the urban traits of Wayzata and Minnetonka (big houses, restaurants) but also some very wide open spaces, about 20-30 minutes from MPLS proper and perhaps almost rural. This makes me wonder which bias is bigger: rural v urban. I also wonder what traits of SW Mpls can be retained if you live in Orono.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:35 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,722,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naycherboy View Post
uptown_urbanist: Could you describe the vibe in Orono a bit more? I think I get how uptown and SW MPLS is. But Orono is kind of this strange amalgamation to me: some of the urban traits of Wayzata and Minnetonka (big houses, restaurants) but also some very wide open spaces, about 20-30 minutes from MPLS proper and perhaps almost rural. This makes me wonder which bias is bigger: rural v urban. I also wonder what traits of SW Mpls can be retained if you live in Orono.
From what I've heard, Orono has more of a "keeping up with the Jones" vibe. I knew a former Orono SAHM who complained about the pressure she felt with other mothers -- pressure to dress "right," pull out all the stops for birthday parties, that sort of thing, and said that it could feel very cliquish. And I know those with school-age kids who worried about the pressures on their kids that comes from living in a community that is very wealthy. There's a lot of money in parts of SW Minneapolis too, of course, but I gather the feeling is different. And it's probably too simplistic to bring it down to politics, but SW Minneapolis is very liberal. Orono is, more country club Republican.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:00 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,150,328 times
I've done a lot of work in Orono. UU is correct. "Keep up the Jones" is spot on for many located in that community. Some peoples goal in that community is to have the biggest, baddest, McMansion! I own a company that focuses on that mentality (we sell a luxury product). I also do a lot of work in Scottsdale as well. Depending on what part of Scottsdale she is from, she will feel at home in Orono. With any luck, the Scottsdale family can be the "Jones" and they will be adored. People in Orno (of course) are nice folks. But their house is their castle and it shows.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:03 PM

370 posts, read 902,852 times
I *live* in Orono and not in a McMansion, just @2k/ft of older home with a great view that's been refurbished quite nicely. I don't feel any external pressure to keep up with anybody though I do improve according to my own needs, etc. We're pretty social folks, not needy and probably middle of the road income for any area. My wife and I are white collar but enjoy outdoor fun as much as indoor. That said, we've been here between 5 and 10 years and I'd *never* have moved out here if I knew then what I know now.

So now you know a little about where I'm coming from I'll touch on the subject of schools and "out there".

There are much better schools in Minnesota if you're set on coming to the area and much more interesting areas to live in. We've swapped schools for Maple Grove and since one of us works in that general area we're able to work out the ride there without any major headaches. MGHS seems to have a lot more going on... Orono just seems backward, dated and underwhelming in comparison. More so in the middle and high schools than the elementary. I could go on, but you can PM me for details.

Don't get me wrong, it's a pretty area. A lot of people like it here (many because their families have been out here for generation after generation after generation ) and that's wonderful for them, but it's not for me or my family. It's nice to be able to walk to places like the Narrows, but Long Lake is a dump and Wayzata is just a little full of itself for me. Mound has a few options but by that time I'm done with the area and heading north, east or south. And that's what's close by. I find it a little "out there" for me. I think I can probably find just as much "pretty" in the next place I live with more going on nearby (and maybe with a more outgoing population).

A final tip; when you talk to people about an area, be sure to ask them how long they've been there. Get some diversity in your data

Old 04-01-2013, 03:12 PM

370 posts, read 902,852 times
You also mentioned sports. Check with the schools; our athlete was able to make the teams in Orono, but if you're considering Wayzata I know it seems for some sports that they have a *lot* of teams (maybe to accommodate the larger student body?). Check with the school for sure, and maybe the coaches to get a better idea. The coaches really define the nature of game play for an organization anyhow so that's probably another good reason.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:36 PM

267 posts, read 558,202 times
Wayzata is a great school but if your child wants to play sports you need to know that it's also one of the largest in the state. It's enrollment is over 3x the size of Orono (3,073 vs 809). Orono also competes in different conferences and in different classes of tournaments.

Both are excellent areas to raise families with schools that have excellent reputations for learning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul