Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 01:57 PM

128 posts, read 284,804 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the western suburbs of MN and I have a question for you guys. Would you rather your kids go to Minnetonka schools or Orono? They both look great on paper (great scores) the only real difference I can see (high school) is that Minnetonka H.S. is about 2X as big. Anyone had kids go to either?
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 03:17 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
What activities do your kids like to do?

Old 09-20-2010, 03:36 PM

They are still young. 2 kids, one will start 5th next fall and the other 2nd grade. I guess I am looking for "long term" as far as in the long run are both high schools pretty good? They are military brats and oldest has been to 3 different schools and the youngest just this one she is in. We are in CA now and looking to settle down and let them attend just one school. We are both from MN so are used to the winters and know the areas pretty well.
Golfgal my son plays football here and my daughter plays soccer. But like I said they are both young so I don't know if they will want to play when they are older, as interets change and all.

Last edited by Movin-on-up2011; 09-20-2010 at 03:49 PM..

Old 09-20-2010, 06:35 PM

58 posts, read 150,319 times
I use to work in the Minnetonka School District and everyone from the teachers, parents, and admins are all extremely involved. Technology resources at Mtka are second to none. Orono is also a great district, but as golfgal side it might depend on what activities they are involved in or plan to be in.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:41 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Honestly, both schools are just fine. I guess I would lean toward Orono just because it is smaller and the kids would have more opportunities to play sports, be in activities, etc. It's a nice problem to have when we have so many good school districts to chose from.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:11 PM

They both seem like great schools. We are looking to buy a home and although I know open enrollment is an option I want them to have friends in the neighborhood from thier school. Thanks for the opinions.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:54 PM

336 posts, read 927,290 times
Orono is a largely wealthy area. I graduated from Orono 20 years ago, and it has only got more wealthy since then. The schools are excellent, parents are very involved, the smaller size of the school is nice to get to know people easily. Minnetonka would be a slightly more diverse choice as far as financial and racial demographics.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:07 PM

370 posts, read 902,852 times
Our boy has been in Orono for the past 3 years and is doing quite well. I highly recommend visiting the schools, nothing beats walking in the halls for getting the vibe of the school and the teachers.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:36 PM

46 posts, read 133,527 times
I am grateful for the feedback I have received from this forum over the summer, particularly golfgal. We moved here about a month ago in time for school and also were debating for several months between Orono and Minnetonka schools. Finally settled for Minnetonka because of a special program there for my child and also because of it being a tad more diverse. Both are excellent choices and the folks at both district offices/schools went out of the way to answer my questions and provide me with information. I also feel there is no need to open enroll but rather put the kids in whatever school district you find a home in, between these two districts. But that is just my opinion after living here for just a few weeks and meeting tons of wonderful people.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:58 PM

Hi guys! I realize this post is older but there was no need to start another one. Golfgal your comment on having so many good schools to choose from put a smile on my face. I feel very fortunate that finding a great school for our kids isn't hard there. So I wanted to ask you guys, would my kids receive the same quality education at Orono Vs Delano. These are the two districts we are deciding between. Delano offers much more house for the money than Orono district. Although I do have to say we have seen some decent homes within the Orono district too. I know this may seem like such a trivial question since the schools are right next to each other but my son will be in 5th grade next fall and it will be his 4th school (military kid) and last school so I'm freaking out a little to pick the best one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul