Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 09:07 PM

166 posts, read 391,347 times

Advertisements

For all those who are slave to fashion, hold your hate letters!
Is there something fundamentally wrong about seeing middle aged men/men in general in flipflops? or is it just me? It's peculiar to see the same society who equates horse power under the hood with being Manley yet walks around in flipflops flipping and flopping
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 03:52 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
Its not just you.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:52 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,877,648 times
I'm against flip flops and another thing that bothers me (and just me I'm sure) is when Men wear shorts to dinner or at a bar. For some reason I find that as low brow or "touristy" and I can't stand it sometimes, so I'll wear pants if it's 100 degrees outside and somebody wants to go out......I'm weird that way.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:04 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I'm against flip flops and another thing that bothers me (and just me I'm sure) is when Men wear shorts to dinner or at a bar. For some reason I find that as low brow or "touristy" and I can't stand it sometimes, so I'll wear pants if it's 100 degrees outside and somebody wants to go out......I'm weird that way.
I'm the same, I refuse to wear shorts out in public unless It's because I'm out jogging or something. It looks dorky in my opinion. Minnesotans go overboard in that regard when the climate is nice. You go other places and you never see people walking downtown, going out at night, etc. in shorts.

To go back on topic, I'm not a fan of flip flops either. Flip flops belong on the beach, and that's pretty much it.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:50 AM

^YES! Dorky was the word that descibes what I think! Thanks....I couldn't figure out what to say but you nailed it!

Old 09-21-2010, 10:53 AM

1,935 posts, read 5,832,965 times
Wow, so I guess I'm going to be "that guy", but I like wearing flip flops- not only does it mean I get to be lazier in not having to wash as many socks (or find socks to put on in the first place), but my feet tend to be the regulator of my body temperature so the flip flops help to stay cool and, as an additional side bonus, are a good way to air out the athlete's foot (I realize this is probably more of a reason to not wear flip flops if anything, and I've likely just really offended a lot of people with that statement). Plus they're cheap as hell.

I guess I've never thought of it as a fashion statement, if anything more of an anti-fashion statement (which maybe is what this thread is implying? -and is it something it's OK for younger people to do?) as I just don't really care what I'm wearing most of the time. Regarding shorts- I'm not a big wearer of shorts myself, if I have some nice shorts I'll wear them on the hottest days or going to the beach/working around the house, etc. (and i assume wearing pants with flip flops is considered even 'dorkier' than the shorts/flip flops combo, which I'm OK with).

Also, my definition of masculinity has nothing to do with horse power under the hood (or what I'm wearing on my feet), and I generally think it's unfortunate when guys feel the need to overcompensate like that. And, although it's pretty cold to be wearing flip-flops at this point, I'm going to put some on and leave the house right now just to spite this thread!

Last edited by Camden Northsider; 09-21-2010 at 11:03 AM..

Old 09-21-2010, 11:27 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,171,657 times
I see the fashion police are out in force.
Who cares if someone wants to look "dorky"?

I suppose the baggy pants or wearing a knit hat in the summer is cool.

I'm not going to put pants on to go to some bar when it's 80+ outside. I'm secure in my image of my self and I'm not dependent onwhat other think of me as a result of my ataire.

I think a few of you are being prejudice?

MN, is an outdoorsy state a lot of folks will dress a little casually as a result.

I put on my shorts in the spring while there is still snow on the ground and I'll take them off when it starts to snows in the fall. I'll have on hiking boots, shorts and I'll put on a flannel shirt if it gets cold outside.

Flip-flops, I stopped wearing them, not enough protection for the toes.

P.S. A quick question. When are we suppose to change from wearing white socks to wearing black socks?

Old 09-21-2010, 11:39 AM

58 posts, read 150,395 times
I think too many people where pants when it is hot in the summer. Hipsters wearing skinny jeans and flannel when its 90! I would rather be comfortable than try to keep up a certain image.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:59 AM

Who is seriously offended by anything said so far? I just don't prefer to wear shorts or flip flops because I don't like to and I think it's dorky, or I feel dorky in them. Nobody is calling you dorks or losers, so ease up with the persecution complex already!

Old 09-21-2010, 12:23 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,171,657 times
Offended over such a frivolous topic.
No, just thought I'd give the pot a stir.

ps I own 3, 4x4 pick-up trucks, a mussel car, an suv and 2 large dogs.

And I've been seen in the past wearing flip-flops and shorts.
You see some of us don't have a Neapolitan complex.
We're secure in our masculinity.

"It's peculiar to see the same society who equates horse power under the hood with being Manley yet walks around in flipflops flipping and flopping"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul