Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2010, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 6,081 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from Rhode Island (where I'm graduating this May from college) and to the University of Minnesota for graduate school. I will be in town this weekend to look around, interview, and scope it out. I've been to Minnesota a bunch of times growing up, but I've never looked around seriously for places to live.

I'd like to know about apartments in the area:

-Reasonable rent prices. I'm not looking to live in a dump or in an unsafe area, but I'm not overly picky and I no doubt will live thrifty.

-I will have a car, so being in IMMMEDIATE walking distance isn't an absolute must, but it would be nice to be within reasonable walking distance so that it would be an option as weather allows.

-I'd like to be able to have a dog, but it's not a deal-breaker.

-I'd like to be around other grad students, because I will be moving by myself. Is there a popular apartment area/landlord that are usually used by grad students?

-Being near a grocery store and the bus line to U of MN would be nice as well, but with a car, it's not an absolute deal-breaker.

-But free parking or parking at a very reasonable rate is.

That's all I can think of for now, if anyone could be of help, it'd be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 05:56 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,722,396 times
There are lots of options; parts of Marcy-Holmes (more the part over by NE/St. Anthony, not the Dinkytown area, which is more undergrad-oriented), Prospect Park, Seward, etc. Maybe parts of Como. Those are all within walking distance of campus. Another option would be Uptown or Lyn-Lake; it's not within walking distance of the U, but a LOT of grad students live there, and it's an easy (express) bus ride away. It's very walkable, with all amenities right there in the neighborhood. It's not the cheapest part of town, but there are still some relatively good deals available. If you want a quieter neighborhood then check out some of the areas by the St. Paul campus; there are housing co-ops over there as well as some nice housing options. There's both regular bus service and shuttle bus service to the main campus (or it's just a quick bike ride).

As far as landlords, you might want to check with your program; at my grad school (not the U, although I did go there as an undergraduate) many apartments were handed down from student to student, and the department secretary helped provide some information (or at least connections) from incoming to outgoing students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul