Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2010, 11:57 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,037,541 times

Advertisements

Bluesky Charter(An online school) in West St. Paul has an Ultimatum www.blueskyschool.org
E-school in trouble over easy diplomas | StarTribune.com
BlueSky Online School Introduces New Curriculum (http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/news/bluesky-online-school-introduces-new-curriculum-sept-8-2010 - broken link)
http://kstp.com/news/stories/s1735891.shtml (broken link)
Apparantly they're graduating kids who haven't met the state requirements..... That don't sit well with me, and they're denying it also. If it's proven to be true, then they need to be shut down for sure. I know the 2nd link is from fox news, but it said almost EVERYONE failed to complete the math requirements and many failed to meet the social studies requirements. Are the counselors doing their job ? ? ? How can you graduate kids who aren't meeting the requirement? How can you NOT put kids in the required classes? I myself and very familiar with the required classes, and if I was at that school and they didn't put me in the required classes, I would be angry and would definitely contact my counselor to get me in the required classes, but the problem is, not a lot of kids know the state requirements, hency why counselors exist to help you with that stuff. It doesn't make sense to blame students for the school not doing THEIR job and graduating people who shouldn't be graduating.
Another thing that makes me believe they're graduating kids who shouldn't, even though they deny it, is that the director Jeffrey Schulz quit his job after the story aired or whatever, and they don't know why. Seems awfully suspicious to me. Hes still listed on their website under staff. http://www.blueskyschool.org/about-us/meet-the-staff/our-admin-team/jeffreyschulz/ (broken link)

I think the right thing to do is notify all the parents of the school and give them the option of transferring to somewhere else, I have no clue if they do this, but its good to let parents know about this stuff. I bet many parents would be upset if they're kids are going to a school like this, and they'd probably be more upset if they never told them about it. I also see they're now being directed or whatever by Novation Education Opportunities, and they already direct one of the worst high schools in Minnesota. It seems unlikely they will improve the school at all when their own school isn't any good.

It also says The school also faces a lawsuit served last month by two former employees who claim they were wrongfully laid off for reporting violations of state law at BlueSky.
WOW! if thats true, thats disgusting. I know if I was working somewhere and they were doing illegal stuff, ya it would be reported, and if they fired me for it, I would be incredibly angry.

I did a different public online school last year and I chose to go back to a regular school this year and I don't regret it at all. It had nothing to do with the social aspect or activities or sports games, the quality of online education is pathetic, a lot of it is reading then answering multiple choice questions... I also missed listening to teachers talk and make jokes and give lectures and be funny, etc. Glad to be back at a regular school for my senior year
For me, the online school was one of those things you gotta have then you get it you realize its not all that great, like a kid who sees a commercial for a new toy and HAS to have it, then when they get it they'll play with it nonstop for a while, but after a while, they'll stop playing with it and won't even care about it anymore.

Last edited by Radical_Car; 09-25-2010 at 12:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 12:46 AM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,037,541 times
I also found this which is very interesting and gives you a lot more information
http://kstp.com/kstpImages/repositor...ineschools.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul