U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 03:10 PM

126 posts, read 593,423 times

Advertisements

We're looking at a move to the twin cities, and we were wondering that if we were to consider Minneapolis rather than St. Paul, what area should we stay south of? We know to avoid brooklyn park/center, but what about north minneapolis itself ... which areas should we avoid for high crime and all?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 03:59 PM

2,506 posts, read 8,106,400 times
There isn't a part of S. Mpls. that should be avoided at all costs. But you would be an "urban pioneer" in Phillips (Ventura Village is really a part of this) and parts of Powderhorn. Also, parts of Whittier are uncomfortable for alot of people, but I find it generally safe. Type in Minneapolis Neighborhoods on google to find the Gov't map of neighborhoods.

Old 07-03-2007, 04:03 PM

195 posts, read 1,030,641 times
There isn't an area that you should "stay" South of. There is nothing wrong with Brooklyn Park/Center. There are some apartment complexes that occasionally have issues with crime in those cities, but other than that you have the rest of the city to choose from. Regardless of where you choose to live. You will not have a tough time at all, finding a safe area in which to live. Please don't let the comments of a few suburbanites scare you off.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:26 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,432,184 times
between Olson Memorial and Dowling...but thats kind of a generalized statement. Its a lot more block to block than that and theres quiet spots in between there.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:44 PM

Sorry, forgot to talk about the Northside. Between Olson Memorial and Dowling is generally correct. Personally, I don't think it is worth going north of Glenwood. Within a couple blocks of Victory Memorial is decent, and there are actually some very nice houses in that area that are half of what they would sell for on the southside. Mpls. is kinda like NOLA, it tends to change by the block, not the neighborhood. Anything that anyone will tell you here will be a sizable generalization, that should be strongly reiterated. Also, if I had a kid I sure as hell would not send him to Richfield High School. I wouldn't buy a house in Richfield (a suburb, not the in the city) and sit on it for ten years. If you ahve the money, people commonly go for Downtown or the Southside. If you are harder up for cash, either go for a smaller place or look in Northeast. It doesn't have the outrageous price tags or a tenth of the problems of the Northside. We are all assuming that you are talking Mpls. Proper. or immediate suburbs (Richfield, Brooklyns) My two cents. Good luck on your search, don't hesitate to ask us if you think of anything else or if you want to ask about a particular area. Welcome to Minneapolis (or Saint Paul)

Old 07-04-2007, 11:26 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,432,184 times
Glenwood seems to be sort of the "gateway" so to speak but from Glenwood to Olson isnt nearly as bad as it is once you cross the highway. Its still pretty patchy over there though.

What was said above is true. Houses bordering Wirth Parkway all the way up to Golden Valley Road tend to be on quiet blocks, but once you hit about Upton it makes a huge change. The blocks of 14th to 18th Ave North from Aldrich to Girard tend to be pretty low key (the Old Highland area). Victory Memorial area is nice, and inexpensive...but not much going on there and you are pretty far from downtown/uptown at that point.

Base it more on the block and the neighbors rather than demographics specifically, although those do help a lot. Northeast as a whole is a good quiet area to look.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:36 PM

8 posts, read 37,842 times
i wish yall would stop talking about brooklyn park its wack

Old 03-22-2008, 10:51 PM

138 posts, read 598,167 times
Hey Hey Hey.....not cool. If you guys were Realtors, you'd be out on your butt in a heartbeat!

Old 03-22-2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie Hoholik View Post
Hey Hey Hey.....not cool. If you guys were Realtors, you'd be out on your butt in a heartbeat!
.....What?

Old 03-22-2008, 11:19 PM

501 posts, read 1,830,437 times
Default Clarification...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillips neiborhood View Post
i wish yall would stop talking about brooklyn park its wack
Are you saying that about Brooklyn Park or about what people are saying?

**On a side note: I was thinking about all the homes that are for sale in the less desirable areas of Mpls...am I mistaken to think that if only someone would have the courage to grab a slew of their friends and purchase homes in a neighborhood, not only will the real estate issues in that area be taken care of, but the crime issues would potentially be solved as well. It's a big thought and really, though the problem may be fixed in that area the problem will just be pushed somewhere else.

It just pains me to see those GORGEOUS homes, in Northern Mpls for instance, get "wasted". <~And by that I mean sit on the market for FOREVER because no one is willing to take a risk. I am not willing to take that risk, but I might be if 20 of my friends each bought surrounding homes...lol. The PRICES on some of those gems...sigh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul