Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2010, 08:46 PM

2 posts, read 3,354 times

Advertisements

I am being transferred to MSP from Sioux Falls, SD by the end of the year. I will be working downtown Minneapolis. I have 3 Children (3rd, 2nd, infant) and I am willing to give up so commute time to have them in a good school system. My wife is looking in the Apple Valley, Farmington, Lakeville, & Prior Lake areas. She (me too) would like to find a community that she can be involved with the school and children's activities. I have heard the schools in Lakeville are large and could be overwhelming. Any advice about these communities or others we should consider, would be appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 08:58 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,623,399 times
What kind of neighborhood or community do you like? You can find good school districts in a variety of places in the Twin Cities, so there's no need to go out as far as Lakeville if you don't want to do so. (in other words: choose that area because you like it, not because you think it's your best or only option for good schools)

Those areas are pretty stereotypically modern suburban, with lots of developments and big box stores, that sort of thing. It's pretty indistinguishable from other areas of its kind, although the benefit of somewhere like Apple Valley includes proximity to the MN Zoo -- a family membership is a great deal, and if I lived out there I'd be there with my son ALL the time. I know there are active mom's groups out that direction, too; check meetup to find some of them.

If you want a closer-in suburb with top schools then Edina or St. Louis Park are popular choices, or southwest Minneapolis. Those wouldn't be a good fit if you're looking for a subdivision or a new house, though.

Budget will play a role, too.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:13 PM

172 posts, read 782,405 times
Welcome to MN! I would like to suggest Maple Grove and Plymouth. If you're looking to commute up to an hour, Elk River and Rogers are also very good communities with good schools. What is your price range? Do you have a sq. footage in mind? What about acreage if any? That would help narrow down some areas=)

Old 10-11-2010, 09:18 PM

172 posts, read 782,405 times
Oh, I forgot to mention Eden Prairie, which was rated the BEST PLACE TO LIVE in 2010. The link is below!

Best Places to Live 2010 - Top 100: City details: Eden Prairie, MN - from MONEY Magazine

Old 10-12-2010, 07:02 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,069,672 times
From your list I would say that the Rosemount/Apple Valley/Eagan schools and the Lakeville schools are the best. I would rank Prior Lake right after them and Farmington down the list a ways. There are parts of Farmington that are in the Rosemount/Apple Valley district and the parts in the Lakeville district so keep that in mind too.

The schools in AV/Rosemount and Lakeville are no larger then what you would find in Sioux Falls. Both areas are going to be very similar to the area south of 41st St. in Sioux Falls. The commute from the Apple Valley are into Minneapolis is easier then the commute from Lakeville. You have more route options coming out of Apple Valley and Rosemount then you do from Lakeville. Cedar Ave is significantly easier to drive then 35W. There is a large transit station in both Lakeville and Apple Valley that runs many, many buses into downtown Minneapolis so keep that in mind as well.

We live in Rosemount and love it here. We have been very involved with the schools. It has a smaller town feel with all the "big city" amenities within a couple minutes. I know that the teachers in our district all want to teach in the Rosemount schools, which says a lot I think. The schools are a bit smaller, not much, then you will find in Lakeville.

If you plan on heading back to Sioux Falls with any regularity, staying on the south side of the metro will save you quite a bit of time on that already long trip.

We lived in Sioux Falls for a while and really liked it there.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:23 AM

2 posts, read 3,354 times
Thanks for all the suggestions.

We did do a house hunting trip with a Realtor We looked at 45 house in 2 1/2 days and our heads are spinning right now. Sort of an overload. He seemed pushed us towards the western burbs and tried to steer us away from the south. Not sure why, but that is the feeling we got.

My wife is looking in the Cobblestone Lake Parkway Development right now, anyone have any knowledge about that development. I see they are in the 196 school district.

Golfgal-I see that is one of the schools on the top of your list. Do you know anything about this development or any other areas that we should look at in the area.

I think we do want to stay on the south side. Our budget is to stay under $325K. To give a comparison we live in a $340k house with about 3700 sq/ft in SF. We know $325k is going to get us a lot less sq ft and we are fine with that. I just don't want to have to buy an older home and make a bunch of repairs. So basically, quality over quantity would be the goal.

So once again, I appreciate all the feedback.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:50 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,276,294 times
There are a decent number of homes on the market in the metro area with over 3500 sq ft and under 320k. In the southern suburbs it looks like most of them are in the Apple Valley/Burnsville area but there were also a few in Woodbury, Cottage Grove, Prior Lake, Shakopee and Savage.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:07 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,069,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Tranplant View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions.

We did do a house hunting trip with a Realtor We looked at 45 house in 2 1/2 days and our heads are spinning right now. Sort of an overload. He seemed pushed us towards the western burbs and tried to steer us away from the south. Not sure why, but that is the feeling we got.

My wife is looking in the Cobblestone Lake Parkway Development right now, anyone have any knowledge about that development. I see they are in the 196 school district.

Golfgal-I see that is one of the schools on the top of your list. Do you know anything about this development or any other areas that we should look at in the area.

I think we do want to stay on the south side. Our budget is to stay under $325K. To give a comparison we live in a $340k house with about 3700 sq/ft in SF. We know $325k is going to get us a lot less sq ft and we are fine with that. I just don't want to have to buy an older home and make a bunch of repairs. So basically, quality over quantity would be the goal.

So once again, I appreciate all the feedback.
Cobblestone is a newer development/planned community type place. There are a LOT of kids that live in that development. The houses are REALLY close together, like 5 feet apart close. For a similar style home and price you can look in the Evermore Development in Rosemount. They have much bigger lots. Keep in mind that property taxes here are a lot less then they are in Sioux Falls so that will affect your overall house payment-but then you have income tax here too so it ends up being pretty much a wash. I have no doubt you will find a similar squarefootage house in your price range in the current housing market here.

If you look on Realtor.com for this MLS # 3650695 in Rosemount, here is one example of a house in your price range/sq footage. It is in a great area, lots of kids, neighborhood pool.

Here are a couple more to look at that are in great areas in town:

3942672-this one needs some work but it is on a private lake if you are interested in that at all

Old 10-12-2010, 02:10 PM

4 posts, read 7,353 times
Congrats on the upcoming move, as a girl that grew up in South Dakota I can hope you enjoy it as much as I have. I am sorry about your experience of 45 homes in two days is too many. You poor things!

Here are my thoughts as a real estate agent:

Your agent was likely suggesting Western burbs for easy commute and schools. Once you get south of the river, your drive time can have a detrimental effect on your quality of life. You will notice the homes are priced less than those in Eden Prairie up through Maple Grove and commute is often the reason.

As a local agent I would also suggest you ask your chosen REALTOR about resale values and home price declines. Its been much more pronounced in Apple Valley than say Plymouth (284 - Wayzata) schools.

Both Eden Prairie and Plymouth have been #1 Cities in recent years. Kimberly Lane Elementary (in Plymouth/284 schools) is a national award winning school. My daughter is in 3rd grade there and my son graduated from Kimberly Lane. It has been an amazing experience. There are areas of Maple Grove, Medina, Wayzata, Minnetonka and Plymouth that are served by Wayzata Schools.

Apple Valley, Eden Prairie, Minnetonka and Maple Grove have great direct transit hubs for catching a bus to get down town. Also there is a northern commuter rail that may make Ramsey and surrounding areas an option.

It boils down to having a frank conversation with your agent and trusting them to guide you. Sometimes it can be helpful if you share photos of your current home, neighbrohood, etc so that they understand what you are hoping to either duplicate or move up from.

Best of luck,

Jennifer Rubenzer

Last edited by golfgal; 10-12-2010 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: Real Estate ads not allowed

Old 10-13-2010, 06:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,587 times
Default WANT to RELOCATE TO EDEN PRAIRIE MN

HELLO Everyone:

We are thinking on relocating to eden prairie, mn by the first of the year or no later than Feb.

I am new to this site, and hoping to recieve some-much neededfeedback! So far there has been some brief research on my behalf.The main factors we would like to consider during this move are the schools for my 7 yr old..2 yr old (childcare).Culture/diversity, job market, affordable housing, safe environment, and family friendly area. Now lets break these down....

1)Schools-I desire for my daughter to have a loving, supportive school environment, proper child teacher ratio, and academically challenged.

>>>>ANY Thoughts here are welcomed?

2)Culture/Diversity- We are an African-american family, in doing research I did notice the percentages of races. With that in mind....

>>>>Are the people in Eden Prairie diversed and welcoming to all despite the majority? We come with open arms and loving hearts, honest feedback are welcomed.

3) Job Market- Our purpose for relocating is because there have been great things said about the job markets in Minnesota. Like many we have been affected by the economy and are in search of a fresh start to rebuild. The majority of my experience has been client relations, product marketing, call center, customer service oriented roles. My true passion would be marketing/sales, or any new profound occupation which allow me freedom and flexibility when dealing with potential consumers (not retail). I love people!

His experience has been catering, and product promotions, and moving. His interest are photography, culinary,and filming. Very prompt learners and reliable .. the both of us with proven track records.

>>>>>Any thoughts are welcomed and job leads are highly encouraged! For serious inquiries I can be reached via mobile email. katcollege@ymail.com

4) affordAble HOUSING: We are interested in renting until we learn the area. Affordable housing meaning apartment communities, or private landlords interested in renting. Location is extremely important even though i am stressing affordable housing with out the preset notions of what can come along with the type of people/areas. I welcome a nice nice neighborhood, family friendly environment, and I would love to be by the lake or have access to it. We are city folk.. However the suburb living with the cities amenities.

>>>>Please suggest neighborhoods, available resources,etc? All thoughts are encouraged here??????

one more thing... I am on a spiritual journey of truth..so thoughts are encouraged here if you know of any metaphysical places or organizations which support my interest.

These are our main concerns.....Thanks for the support!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul