Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 07:56 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times

Advertisements

It really is a silly argument because any reasonable person would recognize that intentionally choosing a Apple Valley to Golden Valley daily commute when your options are open would just be dumb. Why stress yourself out with a long commute when you can look in areas that would give you a significantly shorter commute?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 09:14 AM

812 posts, read 2,172,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumbly View Post
Hi,

Based on my self imposed commuting time restrictions, I'm guessing we are going to be in a west or southwest suburb. Are any of the north or northwest burbs still a possibility?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
In rereading this you may be able to do Roseville. The airport would be straight down 35, not sure how bad it would be, it may be a stretch but I think it's close. Roseville to GV via the parkway or through Mpls wouldn't be bad.

As far as the Apple Valley to Golden Valley. It may be 30 minutes once in a while but I wouldn't count on it being 30 minutes consistently.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:13 PM

7 posts, read 15,133 times
I'm curious - no one mentioned Eden Prairie, yet when I look at the map it appears like it "should" fit within my commuting parameters. Is there something I'm missing? There seems to be a decent amount of reasonable priced housing. What's the school system like there?

Old 10-20-2010, 12:54 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
I'm curious - no one mentioned Eden Prairie, yet when I look at the map it appears like it "should" fit within my commuting parameters. Is there something I'm missing? There seems to be a decent amount of reasonable priced housing. What's the school system like there?
None of us live in EP to argue that town . EP schools are very good but HUGE-largest high school in the state. If you want your kids to be involved in activities they pretty much have to pick one and then be outstanding in order to participate, which to me is a big negative. It would be an ok commute to both though.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:09 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
I think since EP isn't directly on the commuting path we overlooked it; I think it should work, time-wise, to both. I think they schools are as good as any other schools in the metro area, although, as noted, the high school is HUGE (which has both positives and negatives).

Old 10-20-2010, 05:19 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,832,965 times
Just curious- is there a reason why you're not considering Golden Valley? Although I'm not for certain, I would think there are still pretty decent options in your price range there- GV's considered a pretty desirable area to live, it's close in to the cities, and even though it's upscale/expensive, it doesn't feel as stuck up as some of its local counterparts.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:40 PM

7 posts, read 15,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
Just curious- is there a reason why you're not considering Golden Valley? Although I'm not for certain, I would think there are still pretty decent options in your price range there- GV's considered a pretty desirable area to live, it's close in to the cities, and even though it's upscale/expensive, it doesn't feel as stuck up as some of its local counterparts.
I'm absolutely considering GV. The only hangup I have is the real estate. It seems like if I'm willing to drive an extra 15-20 minutes, I can get more house for the money. We are on the fence right now - location vs size of house.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:24 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
Quote:
Because EP is south of Edina/Hopkins - I think the airport commute will be fine, but to GV it would be more than 30 minutes in bad traffic - I think you will be tied up on 100 or 494 North and South.

Im in DT Minneapolis and at 8 ish - I can get from kids school to my garage in about 12 -17 minutes.
The same evening commute is at least 20-30 minutes - its only a few miles.

I wouldnt move as far south as EP - the 10 minutes its south of SLP makes a huge difference to me - then i am VERY VERY commute averse.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:23 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,235,305 times
Will you be going to one location more often than the other or will both be a daily commute?

Old 10-21-2010, 12:30 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
Because EP is south of Edina/Hopkins - I think the airport commute will be fine, but to GV it would be more than 30 minutes in bad traffic - I think you will be tied up on 100 or 494 North and South.
So take 169. We did all the time when we lived in SE Eden Prairie. Or take Eden Prairie Road to Excelsior Blvd in Glen Lake and slice across.

There used to be many many options. I've not said anything in this thread because I've not lived there in six years now, and I'm sure traffic is somewhat different now, but the road options should still be roughly similar.

It used to be considerably easier to get from EP to GV than from EP to Eagan where I worked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul