Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 06:06 AM

267 posts, read 558,567 times

Advertisements

I'd stick in the West Bloomington, Edina, Eden Prairie, Hopkins, East Minnetonka, St. Louis Park quadrant. Deciding between these would come down to your goals around schools, age/style of home and what you want out of a community.

I live south of the river and love the Apple Valley, Eagan, Rosemount area but there's no way I'd choose that if I knew I had to drive to Golden Valley every day. Now that I live here I'd do that drive before moving but that's because it's home now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 10:34 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,095,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumbly View Post
Hi,

I'm going to be relocating to the cities in the near future and need some suggestions. We are trying to find a location that is no longer than a 30 minute commute to Golden Valley and 30 minutes to the airport in traffic. Looking for the usual types of things - good school system as we have young kids, commute that won't drive me nuts, decent value for the money in real estate (upper 200s, lower 300s range), great outgoing neighbors, easy access to shopping, etc. We are more of suburb people ourselves and really aren't into the downtown living environment.

Based on my self imposed commuting time restrictions, I'm guessing we are going to be in a west or southwest suburb. Are any of the north or northwest burbs still a possibility?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
You're in luck--

the airport and GV are only about a half hour apart. So, you can live by either of them, or anywhere in between and split the difference!

Old 10-25-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebinminn View Post
In rereading this you may be able to do Roseville. The airport would be straight down 35, not sure how bad it would be, it may be a stretch but I think it's close. Roseville to GV via the parkway or through Mpls wouldn't be bad.

As far as the Apple Valley to Golden Valley. It may be 30 minutes once in a while but I wouldn't count on it being 30 minutes consistently.
That would depend on when you are leaving Roseville or GV. If you are doing rush hour traffic, that could take up to an hour. Probably won't take more than forty minutes, but *could* take up to an hour.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumbly View Post
I'm curious - no one mentioned Eden Prairie, yet when I look at the map it appears like it "should" fit within my commuting parameters. Is there something I'm missing? There seems to be a decent amount of reasonable priced housing. What's the school system like there?
It probably would. Plymouth or Maple Grove could, as well. But it would probably mean living righ off of the highway.

I am not sure if GV is out of your price range, though. There is a lot of older real estate there that shouldn't be running over 300k. If there's nothing in GV, New Hope, Robbinsdale, or Crystal would only add five minutes to your airport commute...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul